Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

With the current balance the game has going right now I dont think degredation would add much to the default experience (60 min days). Would be a great mod though for vets or those who play longer day games.

I think gun jamming could be interesting if the current repair system is too dull. It would just have to be done in a way that is not overly punishing.

i think they could do it like Far cry 2

I've never played any of those games, though quite a few of them are very popular. Hear me now, hear me loud! I am not saying and have never said gun jamming will be fun or exciting. Just another interesting element that Madmole brought up that I thought was at least worth considering.

I just don't see gun jamming, in the way that I described, being any more tedious than bleeds. You get hit, you bleed, bandage and you're done.

Do you want to eliminate bleeds as well?

In closing all I want to say is I'd rather have a gun jam factor any day over permanent durability degradation.

Straw man argument. Bleeding doesn't prevent you from playing the game. It does not stop gameplay. It forces you to address the issue, at some point, the same way sprained/broken legs, stuns, etc. do. It does not prevent you from moving, attacking, etc. Further, bleeding is avoidable, very easily. Gun jamming is a completely random element you have no control over. It is a gameplay breaking function that is unavoidable through skill. Temporary though it may be, it presents no challenge to overcome - merely tedium. The fact that you, and others, would enjoy such tedium is fine, but that doesn't make it good gameplay.

Edit:

Item degradation was removed for a reason, and it was a good decision. It introduces further tedium that is not needed. The purpose may be to control item economy, but the main effect would be to slow down gameplay, which appears to be the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve - more fluid, engaging gameplay. Item economy is better balanced through other systems already in place - loot tables, traders, and tiers.

he posts about pretzels outside that thread frequently. learn the forums. I bet the word pretzel is in 400 of his posts. I think you should try to meet people in the forums if your posts are very high. I thought you were part of this community, but maybe it's rather fun to be one of us.

So, you're planning on posting 20k+ posts again? God have mercy on us.

+1

A few things to add:

The threat biomes/POIs should leave Gaussian-esque imprints on the map so you can't just cross over into the safety of absolute wilderness by walking ten meters. Maybe the area around the trader should be really dangerous to add a little risk/reward for living right next to them.

A threat map would definitely make the world have more interesting regions, not just POIs randomly spawned.

It could be a goal for the player to find all high risk / high reward locations. Or be really scary to venture further into a city, and rather stay at the outskirts.

There are big differences between bleeding and gun jamming. Firstly, bleeding is resolved with a bandage that is super easy to craft with materials that are super easy to obtain. Second, if you are bleeding, it’s because you were in control and made a mistake. The bleeding result may have been random, but allowing yourself to get hit is a mistake.

To keep things somewhat similar, I proposed making it so jamming can not occur unless your weapon is below 25%. When it jams, the gun can still be used after, you just lose the shot when it jammed. The chances of jamming escalates from that point as the weapon’s hp drops further. Basically, this puts you in control. If you go out with heavily damaged guns without repair kits, then it’s your fault. If your gun starts to jam, it is up to you to decide to take your chances and continue using it without repair. If you don’t pay attention that your gun is starting to jam, then it’s your fault.

Straw man argument. Bleeding doesn't prevent you from playing the game. It does not stop gameplay. It forces you to address the issue, at some point, the same way sprained/broken legs, stuns, etc. do. It does not prevent you from moving, attacking, etc. Further, bleeding is avoidable, very easily. Gun jamming is a completely random element you have no control over. It is a gameplay breaking function that is unavoidable through skill. Temporary though it may be, it presents no challenge to overcome - merely tedium. The fact that you, and others, would enjoy such tedium is fine, but that doesn't make it good gameplay.

Edit:

Item degradation was removed for a reason, and it was a good decision. It introduces further tedium that is not needed. The purpose may be to control item economy, but the main effect would be to slow down gameplay, which appears to be the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve - more fluid, engaging gameplay. Item economy is better balanced through other systems already in place - loot tables, traders, and tiers.

I explained myself well enough and stand by my comments. Agree to disagree. Strawman is the most overused term these days.

There are big differences between bleeding and gun jamming. Firstly, bleeding is resolved with a bandage that is super easy to craft with materials that are super easy to obtain. Second, if you are bleeding, it’s because you were in control and made a mistake. The bleeding result may have been random, but allowing yourself to get hit is a mistake.

I don't even really care about gun jamming. It was Madmoles idea and I mearly said it was interesting. I don't want to become it's defender here on the forums, but you are really not understanding what i'm saying. You get hit, you bleed. Bandage. Done. You fire, you jam, use item to fix, Done.

Tell me again how much harder that is than using a bandage? Circumstances are slightly different but functionally they are the same.

I don't even really care about gun jamming. It was Madmoles idea and I mearly said it was interesting. I don't want to become it's defender here on the forums, but you are really not understanding what i'm saying. You get hit, you bleed. Bandage. Done. You fire, you jam, use item to fix, Done.

Tell me again how much harder that is than using a bandage? Circumstances are slightly different but functionally they are the same.

Well it’s not so much the action of resolving the situation, it’s that it is not fun having something bad guaranteed to happen to you randomly over and over again. I am saying gun jamming could be ok, not necessarily against it. If I have zero control over it, don’t want it at all.

I like gun jamming, it realistically relates to item skill (gun maintainance) and gun level (product quality / age).

And gives tension, if you might have a jam at the wrong moment.

Maybe with a counter strategy for the player, such that the first bullet always fires.

-> making the player always check that the gun it fully loaded.

Can y'all devs please consider removing or delaying that damn dog/wolf attack squad that comes for you in the first few days? I cannot tell you how many times I've been strolling along or looting or something and I suddenly lose all my health to a pack of expertly trained silent ninja wolves flaying my skin off.

If I die during an early day, or hell, AT ALL, it's to a wild animal of some kind, and having the game send THREE extremely fast and powerful threats at you to murder you is not fun. You would not sent 3 homing ferals at the player just out and about midday, would you? At least make a global howl sound when they spawn in or something, they should not be so deadly AND completely unnoticeable until it's too late.

Yeah, when I played with my friend (who I got him to try Alpha 18) a week ago, when we spawned, we BOTH got our asses kicked by a dire wolf each spawning near us. We had no weapons, and the dire wolves eventually caught up to us and killed us both. Thankfully, we didn't lose the distance we traveled to get to each other because we quickly placed a bedroll each. But this was hilarious: a OP enemy on day 1 spawned for BOTH of us, when were really far away from each other. It was like the game trolled us.

MadMole, might want to look into it so these guys don't spawn on day 1.

Go play Call of Duty, Battlefield, or Doom with random gun jamming. Go play Forza Motorsports or Grid with random engine stalling. Go play Super Mario Bros (1985) or Mega Man (1987) where the jump button is randomly disabled for 5 seconds. Then come back and tell me how "fun" and "exciting" it is to have the entire outcome of your playing determined by chance rather than skill. That's poor game design. That's a slot machine where there's a chance for it to punch you in the face.

well the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series got "random" gun jamming - and its quite popular. it happens only on poor condition/low tier weapons tho (if i remember correctly).

and i think thats how 7days should handle it. low quality and low tier weapons would have a higher base chance 2 jam. durability also matters. so a blue t3 rifle would never jam at 75-100%, but at 1-10% basically every gun/car would jam more often than operate.

orange t1 guns could even jam at around 95% durability and be already heavily unreliable at around 30-50% and so on and so on...

EDIT: actually i think quality lvl should even affect base accuracy. let them nubz cry pls :tickled_pink:

Yeah, when I played with my friend (who I got him to try Alpha 18) a week ago, when we spawned, we BOTH got our asses kicked by a dire wolf each spawning near us. We had no weapons, and the dire wolves eventually caught up to us and killed us both. Thankfully, we didn't lose the distance we traveled to get to each other because we quickly placed a bedroll each. But this was hilarious: a OP enemy on day 1 spawned for BOTH of us, when were really far away from each other. It was like the game trolled us.

MadMole, might want to look into it so these guys don't spawn on day 1.

If it was at night I think it is working as intended. There are even ferals at night on low gs levels.

Hey guys, it's okay to disagree but let's keep from dragging things into name calling no matter who said what 1st. Save both of you guys the time energy. Take it out on the zeds in game instead. 😎

- - - Updated - - -

anyone know what the update is for?

just got home

More guns....the orange through blue kind...😅

ooQUmyG.gif

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131112-Announcement-A18-b155-EXP

Hey guys, it's okay to disagree but let's keep from dragging things into name calling no matter who said what 1st. Save both of you guys the time energy. Take it out on the zeds in game instead. ��

- - - Updated - - -

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?131112-Announcement-A18-b155-EXP

It's cool thats the only response them two will ever get from me.

No one is name calling by the way. :)

Archived