Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Newest patch notes:

Streaming texture budget is set based on VRAM size

Anisotropic filtering is disabled if 3 GB or less of VRAM

Trying to force graphics settings on users is continually getting you into trouble. Trying to force certain graphics settings on PC players is just horrible design from a user-perspective. Design constraints for console players necessitates that you do it, but the breadth and width of PCs means it needs to be configurable from the moment you add those features to the renderer (including OFF).

This game ran just fine at minimum settings on my work-potato machine (laptop, integrated graphics), and every time you try to force on these post-processing effects the game takes a huge dump in playability due to the game choking trying to render post-processing effects.

If you are one of those as me, who liked how vultures went airborn after a close encounter with a bat or club against a wall - hands up.

I will miss that a bit, too. But let`s see.

perhaps its only going to change ragdoll effects proced from ranged weapons so clubs will still be gratifying?

"Fixed ranged attacks defaulting to bashing damage"

Ok, the motorcycle feels WORLDS better, feels faster, and it can get some air on a hill with the hop again. LOVE IT!

It might be too early to say, but fps feels a lot smoother and gameplay just feels slightly faster now.

Whatever you guys are doing, keep it up!

@Ralathar44, i like the way you present your observations. thank you for sharing

Thank you :). QA tester at heart haha. You test it and then you test it and then when you think you know you test it again. Then finally you're sure and you test it one more time just in case. After all that...you MIGHT have something :p. I've done what I can from my end, if I've done my job properly then the playerbase and the devs will see the same thing I do in time as more people make it to end game with multiple kinds of builds and knowledge disseminates. If I've somehow ♥♥♥♥ed it up then I'll learn something.

Of course, even if I'm right it doesn't mean it fits with the dev's vision of the game. But if their vision does not end up jiving with the playerbase then just like me being wrong means I learn something them running into that issue means they learn something. Indeed, it's how we got the the magnificent overall state the game is in now. That intricate dance of push and pull behind developers and playerbase, each being both stubborn and insightful in turn without ever quite being sure which they are being until later down the path :p.

Who knows if he's even alive, those notes could be 20 years old.

I don't think so. Your talking about paper, it gets trashed and everything just sitting around the house for a few years. That's not even considering after a nuclear war with zombies. :)

MM, Please! please! please! please! please! please! please! fix the collision models of the zombies (even if only for the damn headshots). It seems that with every alpha release I hear that collision models have been fixed and I get all excited, but my soul is crushed each time I load up the game only to watch a large number of my perfectly aimed arrows fly right through the head of zeds time and time again.

MM, Please! please! please! please! please! please! please! fix the collision models of the zombies (even if only for the damn headshots). It seems that with every alpha release I hear that collision models have been fixed and I get all excited, but my soul is crushed each time I load up the game only to watch a large number of my perfectly aimed arrows fly right through the head of zeds time and time again.

meh, millennials, in one ear, out the other. only kidding, put any group there and it is just as valid. I sometimes use it on cheerleaders

millenial zombies. phoooone

meh, millennials, in one ear, out the other. only kidding, put any group there and it is just as valid. I sometimes use it on cheerleaders

millenial zombies. phoooone

Yeah, but most millennials are worse than other generations in this respect, and don't get my started on Gen Z. Lol Like father like son, or like mother like daughter.

Note to everyone: your armor/tools/etc. may be broken upon you logging in with this new patch. Mine was; all at zero durability.

Confirmed. The new update has broken all my tools and weapons on my belt.

UPDATE: Seems that the double barrel shotgun and junk turrets were not effected but most other tools and weapons are.

I checked my belt, my pack and storage.

Alpha 18 b149

Original was 18 b145

Armor was effected as well.

Archived