Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

To TFP,

For my first hoard night I built a 9x9 base using pillar-50s with a platform above. I wanted to do as much melee as was possible due to not having a lot of arrows (around 125) or a lot of ammo (~60 7.62). For melee I had a T2 iron spear, a T2 iron sledge, and a T1 reinforced club (all looted). All was going to plan, but then one of the zombies got through the pillars (did not break the pillars). I believe this to be a glitch possibly caused by 3 to 4 zombies trying to attack at the point that one zombie came through. Jut putting it out there in case anyone wants to try to repro it. I did have the same thing happen in a previous play through.

Btw, love A18!

Just made a bicycle for the first time ever. Not complaining but it is night and day difference vs. Running around (especially since you can continue to sprint even with 0 stamina, bug I assume).

On foot, there was the threat of the occasional zombie, the new mountain lion (I'm in the snow biome) and sometimes a wandering horde.

On a bike, and I assume any vehicle, you can get almost god like status and the threat level goes way down. I'm sure this isnt a new thing to A18 but maybe something to consider...

...I will play with the bicycle and other vehicles more to see how I feel later. Might just be knee jerking...I did have to perk into work stations in order to build one so there definitely was a trade off for the ability. I guess, at the end of the day I could also just increase the difficulty. 😅

It is a game changer but I want to do a big vehicle final pass yet with mods, breakdowns and collisions should do much greater damage.

You might want to read up on the latest changes coming.

Yea - been trying to but when you are looking at 100+ posts a day, things get blurry.

I remember there was talk that somebody was going to consolidate some of the info here and post it in a dedicated location, did that get anywhere or was it another of my hallucinations?

Ever thought about adding a crop to the wasteland like a glowing mushroom or anything irradiated. Cause as of right now there is almost zero reason to visit this biome. Something that can only be got in the wasteland that you can't grow or loot yourself. High risk, high reward.

In general just sprucing up all the biomes so there is a game changing/enhancing reason to visit or even live there would be awesome. Like the snow biome zombies movement speed is reduced by 10%. Just an example.

Yea - been trying to but when you are looking at 100+ posts a day, things get blurry.

I remember there was talk that somebody was going to consolidate some of the info here and post it in a dedicated location, did that get anywhere or was it another of my hallucinations?

At this point the consolidated location for getting info is called: "The Patch Notes"

Then I'll never use turret spec because the skill point cost is way too much for it to give a fraction of the returns of the same investment in another weapon. If my hands were free to also wield a turret as my other weapon (requiring handheld turret not sucking to use), and collectively all 3 turrets were competitive, that'd be a different story. But as is using fully spec'd turrets + a baseline AK is just using a fully spec'd AK with extra steps and alot more limitations that performs WORSE while taking up more inventory space.

Turrets have a few cheeky things you can do, but they come with ALOT of limitations and downsides too. Convenient is the last thing I would call them, unless you're talking about using a single unspec'd turret alongside your spec'd weapon. THAT is convenient because you don't rely on it.

Making the turrets work so that they are just as powerful and just as convenient as an AK would make the two attributes progress to something that would feel almost exactly the same. I think it is great that they work differently and feel differently and play differently. If that means YOU will NEVER choose to go the route of intelligence because you like the most convenient and most powerful choice (even if it is the same choice) every time you play....well, I can live with that.

I'll happily play a time or two with the convenient and deadly AK47 and then the next time or two with the convoluted and interesting turret set up. It means my playthroughs will be different and challenging in a variety of ways instead of having the gun I'm holding looking like a turret but playing out exactly like as if it was an AK47.

And that's exactly why I don't consider turrets OP.

If you go nuts on Int so that it's convenient to boost turrets they can do serious damage but it's assumed that you still have your hands free for a weapon, too, so turrets do not need to match an AK or MR10 for damage output.

It's asymmetric balancing. =)

How do you feel about increasing the baseline magazine capacity of turrets, thereby removing one of the many complaints about turrets and Int focused character builds? Or, adding a + magazine size buff into the Intelligence stat so as you specialize in Int, you not only gain the increased damage but also need to pick it up & reload less frequently (which temporarily removes its damage output while you are reloading)? I don't think turrets should ever become an easy "I win!" button, but the Int tree feels a little weak in comparison to others, and I don't think rewarding those who specialize in Int with some additional buffs is out of line with the balance and goals of the game.

Right - but those show what has officially been changed. They don't tend to include speculation and trying-to-work-on items for some strange reason... :rapture:

For that just click on madmole or faatal's names and select latest posts and read what they are working on for the next patch. But for me to work on consolidating information and then to have it just all show up in the patch notes anyway in a few days is a lot of unnecessary and redundant work. We had an update on Friday and another will probably come today or tomorrow that is pretty speedy turnaround that you can get by reading each new update to the patch notes.

Are you referring to the time between noon and noon or the actual daylight itself ? I saw no errors with setting the daylength to 120 minutes. It needs 120 minutes then.

<property name="DayNightLength" value="60" /> <!-- real time minutes per in game day: 60 minutes -->
<property name="DayLightLength" value="18" /> <!-- in game hours the sun shines per day: 18 hours day light per in game day -->

ah deutsch , wir haben das gestoppt und sind zu obrigem Ergebniss gekommen der tag soll 2 Stunden dauern ist aber nach 66 Minuten vorbei.

I got on this AM and seen people saying the performance patch is gonna be today so i went to the store and got some good dinner and drinks, started cleaning the house and getting my desk and gaming area all set up for a 12 hour session. I'm making Bacon & Eggs for dinner, hashbrowns & pancakes too. I'm pumped to play in full screen & not 640x480 res lol and got this weekend off. Release the kraken, all i have is dishes to do and i want a reason to not have to do them.

Me too. Where are they written?

I believe he is referring to his comments regarding crafting:

Wants to make crafting more viable

Stretching out the loot you find so you're not swimming in shinys'

T6 crafting

Random stats on crafted items

I think that's the gist of it.

Okay did not know that. Thanks a lot man, again!

Great to see you respond so quickly to questions on here.

Np. I try.

Today I dug up an old AMD HD 5770 1GB and have now replaced my GTX 960 as the potato card next to my RTX 2070. Still need to install AMD drivers, but hopefully it works and I can track down the white terrain flickering.

Every tree i believe has 3 weps except INT, maybe just had a small hand held gun type, hell, make it simple like a flamethrower eventually? all chemical/mechanical based weaponry

I feel like that is where it is lacking is a legit gun in the INT tree that doesnt give whip lash when firing from the hip

Well, if you REALLY want to do the INT build right:

You need to have a La-ser... a La-ser with an attachable shark mod.

When it happens to me I hear the sound of like hitting rock (?) on the edge of the road and the terrain. Or when the road has a bump (some sharp and not high elevation).

Like the terrain 'looks' smooth but actually isn't.

A tester today reported my last fix now does "you do get a large bunny hop instead of catapulting to the sky box".

Seems like a good bandaid until the cause is found.

So many games do inventory "wrong". =) But yes, essentials, things you wan to keep in your pack, always go in the bottom right, since everything new is always dropped in the upper left. Much easier to keep track of things that way.

Not necessarily. Try enabling this alpha 18 experimental feature with one of these two modlets:

* https://github.com/JaxTeller718/JaxModletsA18/tree/master/JaxTeller718_BackpackStashAll

* https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?127758-Backpack-Buttons-A18!-(Stash-All-Stash-Stack-Stash-Stack-Smart)

A tester today reported my last fix now does "you do get a large bunny hop instead of catapulting to the sky box".

Seems like a good bandaid until the cause is found.

Faatal -- side note -- I assume you are aware of the problems zombies seem to be having with going down stairs? As in, they seem to prefer to dig instead of using stairs that are close by? I assume it is just a glitch in the patching that they don't see the stairs correctly, so you will be able to fix it fairly quickly? I hope?

This is my first time posting, but i couldn't help but congratulate you guys on a fantastic EXP with A18. I have been playing this game since roughly A15, and it has never felt this good to play it (could be the new PC).

Last night was a bit of a heart breaker; started a seed, played to horde night. Planning to build a base from scratch we took over a RV POI, filled in the hole in the middle and started a small base off the ground in the ruined corner. reinforced the floors and corners (we bought a cement mixer). Felt pretty good about life.

Well, as the horde night began we felt pretty safe, killing Z's with ease through metal bars. At about 2 AM (horde still ripping zombies out) my partner leaps from the building, without much of an explanation... About 30 seconds later I find out why. The Z's had destroyed all walls and our base collapsed, destroying all chests, workstations, everything... We ran around the field until 4 AM finished the rest of the Z's off. Safe to say that seed is pretty much dead, but still having an absolute blast.

Yes it seems random but could be a specific thing, like hitting something breakable, or unity collision is failing. Like the hatch teleport, getting smashed between colliders in unity can cause something to get propelled. Maybe running something over that has collision the collider didn't get built in time, it turns on after the bike penetrated it, which propels the bike to the sky.

But it can happen when you are flying in a gyrocopter too, so I don't think "running something over" applies. I've reported on the bug track it happening while I was flying, and, to top it off, the motorcycle parked back at my base was also thrown up at the very same time. Log and video were made available.

Small bug report: I've been mining a 2x2 tunnel at bedrock layer underneath my base area for a while now. (Just a strip mine.) However, every time I mine down there, this visual glitch occurs every so often. It's not serious, just a little confusing of what you have mined and haven't mined. It happens when I'm mining stone, but it can be easily fixed by mining another block next to it or by placing a frame down over the "gap".

b9oxinE.jpg

so tonight I will do day 49 horde with a hopefully 140+ game stage. really hoping for a demolisher.

I did start an intelligence/perception play through to get a feel for it and wow..night and day difference. going full intelligence at the start has me feeling really weak as far as doing some damage to the zombies but the trade off is getting crafting stations very easily. so I guess I need to quit complaining lol

Archived