Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I had 16 alive on Nomad, it was intense :)

I'll need to try a sp nomad on my next game. Sounds like you had a blast!

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't done so you should delete them from your game unless you want a broke save on the next update. I know you cheated them in.

EDIT: I see we're on b149 so they might be ok.

The only thing I cheated in was the repair kits for all the patch busted items. The seeds were in loot from trash I think. I only got one though. It does look like it's growing as it has flowers now. I found it probably 15 minutes into today's patch.

Hmm. Who are you going to believe? I wonder who wrote the code?

It's not a matter of believing one person or another... Our job playing experimental is to poke holes and find what's not working properly. I just wasn't clear how it was supposed to actually work. In many ways, a18 is a whole new game.

It's still a WIP I haven't set up calories or anything properly yet.

I wasn't planning on doing anything other than planting it and seeing what grows. (As Madmole's comment said.)

The only thing I'd want to do with it is make a jack o lantern.

@faatal please do u know if they are working on the increased CPU usage (server side), or it its expected due to the new features?

I imagine its not ur work, but I'm going crazy as no one gives a word on my topic/comments

I don't think anyone is looking at it. I started a dedicated and logged in and out twice. It returned to <1% CPU use each time and memory was the same. What exactly is the problem you are seeing?

Note to everyone: your armor/tools/etc. may be broken upon you logging in with this new patch. Mine was; all at zero durability.

Yep. everything we had with durability was broken: equipped, toolbar, inventory and in storage chests.

@madmole

Are you guys going to patch and fix the pathing regarding the killing corridors and the invisible walls?

alla Jawoodles videos?

Seems like a bug in the zombie AI?

@Madmole Even Grumble on the streamer weekend set up his own killing corridor that Sunday. I'm using a variation on that combined with turrets and blade traps, and plans are to add dart traps and electric fences to help protect the blade traps. (They break way too easily, and are expensive to craft.)

Update the STEAM page please.

I think that you should update the page on STEAM. The last post was done on October 3rd and that talked about the early release to the streamers.

Update it with what? The experimental release? It's actually a good thing that fact is not being shouted from the rooftops, what with the performance problems this current build has.

on junk turrets

why limit yourself to 2?

I put down about a dozen all fully loaded. when one runs out it goes to sleep and another one wakes up, fully loaded. seems to work that way anyway.

at the end of the horde they were all empty, and we would have been royally screwed without them.

ps perked into them lvl 5 baby!

looking forward to having big rows of them all over the place. I will be invincible!

love that mods work in them too - especially magazine extender!

you are a genius. Hopefully that is working as intended :)

@Madmole Even Grumble on the streamer weekend set up his own killing corridor that Sunday. I'm using a variation on that combined with turrets and blade traps, and plans are to add dart traps and electric fences to help protect the blade traps. (They break way too easily, and are expensive to craft.)

For sure. It makes it easy, and in my opinion is exploting the zombies in ways the game isn't intended at all.

Especially the invisible wall one I posted.

That's ridiculous. It's fun sure. And guess it depends who you ask if it should be like that or not.

That's why I think random attacks would be better than a single pathing format.

Then you'd have some zombies do that but others would be attacking the base etc.

I know it's easier said than done, but a random pathing when attacking would greatly reduce exploits.

I'm waiting for Death is death mode more than anything.

I think this is the easiest thing to add to the game

It's also the easiest thing to do yourself. Just use self control.

I'd rather see them get performance and rwg cities improved, add vehicle mods, and keep balancing FAR more then adding a fluff feature easy for any player to do right now.

Newest patch notes:

Trying to force graphics settings on users is continually getting you into trouble. Trying to force certain graphics settings on PC players is just horrible design from a user-perspective. Design constraints for console players necessitates that you do it, but the breadth and width of PCs means it needs to be configurable from the moment you add those features to the renderer (including OFF).

This game ran just fine at minimum settings on my work-potato machine (laptop, integrated graphics), and every time you try to force on these post-processing effects the game takes a huge dump in playability due to the game choking trying to render post-processing effects.

What? Nothing in those changes is forcing a setting on.

Does having the texture budget fixed at 4 GB sound good to you? That is what it was doing before.

AF is not post processing. It is a basic part of texture look up and a prime cause of low FPS when the texture is not in VRAM. What do you think the chances are of a texture being in VRAM are when you don't have a lot of VRAM? Can we force a texture into VRAM? Can we even tell if a texture is in VRAM? Should we tell users to read a manual on that and figure out for themselves if AF should be off or on?

You might get salvage perks and wrench cars for a healthy amount of scrap iron. Considering it is auto aim and the control against a single zed, watching your back etc I still feel like its ok on paper. I haven't done an INT build yet as finding 100 hours of free time for each build is difficult but I will get to it eventually.

:). Understandable, you have alot of things to do and it takes alot of time. Auto aim is a double edged sword, they miss alot (20%+ I believe at 5 blocks and gets more from there) and they hit almost exclusively body shots. Even if you only hit 50% of your headshots, and completely miss the other 50%, with the headshot bonuses in game being as high as 300% you actually end up doing significantly more DPS than almost exclusively body shots. Placed turrets also do not dismember. This is prolly fair considering their fire rate combined, but the lack of dismemberment is definitely the loss of alot of hidden power other weapons have.

In the Int build the first 20 days are pretty cake (as they are with most builds really). You can stun baton your way through most POIs and wandering hordes, turrets are nice vs solo bears and wolves and deer and etc, and they can handle Day 20 horde with concrete walls and iron bars pretty easily so long as you bring about 100% more ammo than you think you'll need. I'm set to nomad 32 zombies at a time and day 20 was just me, my AK, and my turrets DPSing. I was close to running out of all ammo but I made it. Overall it felt alot easier than my agility or strength play throughs during those days. TBH you could wooden club your way through the first 20 days too, Wooden Club actually has about the same damage as Stun Baton with more up front damage but Baton's electrical stun damage making up the difference. (which is fair since stun baton is expected to have turret support)

Day 20+ is where the game starts to slowly outscale the turrets however while other classes continue to come fully online. You prolly won't notice the full difference until about day 40. When you start facing regular ferals rads it starts putting the DPS difference in sharp relief as the TTK skyrockets and you start getting a few daytime enemies that run. I don't think you can really power through it like Fort (raw DPS) or Perception (massive penetration), stealth treasure rooms like agility, or spam cheap explosives like Agility/Perception. TBH explosives are prolly too good for their cost, your only real limit is duct tape and bone economy is quite generous atm. Strength is prolly the only other one who can't directly power through with on perk equipment but strength also gets miner69er and motherload so they farm like a madman and can brute force a horde through farm if need be.

I want to be clear, Int spec will still be able to handle 32 zombies at nomad difficulty. It just won't be able to do so as easily as other stats because it's less powerful. A greater focus on careful pulls/kiting/splitting enemy groups and farm can overcome most power differentials in this game if need be.

For sure. It makes it easy, and in my opinion is exploting the zombies in ways the game isn't intended at all.

Especially the invisible wall one I posted.

That's ridiculous. It's fun sure. And guess it depends who you ask if it should be like that or not.

That's why I think random attacks would be better than a single pathing format.

Then you'd have some zombies do that but others would be attacking the base etc.

I know it's easier said than done, but a random pathing when attacking would greatly reduce exploits.

I think they already have a random attacking option in right now. Any good strategist will find an enemies weakness and exploit it.

The invisible wall thing feels more like a bug, but 3ven the killing corridor struggles with later horde nights. You need to repair and craft ammo as well as extra fortifications to keep up with the ever increasing horde.

It's like an arms race between Fataal and every player out there, and there DOES need to be done way to "win" with work and planning.

Archived