Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The only place where auto sort is useful is in pre-sorted chests, like ones that only have food items. There I can see it being beneficial.

I completely agree with this point of view.

In my inventory, food and medicine occupy the entire first right vertical row of cells.

Ammunition occupy the second right vertical row.

Various tools that I rarely use are located in the third vertical row on the right.

Sorting in the character’s inventory does not make sense to me.

Well, just because "in time" you'll have lucky looter for free doesn't mean you wouldn't save a ton of time getting it early. The extra time spent killing zombies because you don't pop as many heads early is made up for by having better tools/weapons imo.

That being said I don't play with it because I like the organic progression and it feels cheesy to just dump points into an unfun perk (as in, there's absolutely no active effect other than looting better stuff) and get rewarded for it.

But then again I'm also playing traderless for the same reasons, it just feels too easy hitting up a random guy in the middle of nowhere that gives me access to (way better quality) stuff, schematics and workstations for absolutely no reason. Personal taste I guess, I like the feeling of raw scavenging and progressing with what I find. We are very excited in our game cause we found the minibike handlebars & chassis recipes, so we only lack the seat in order to craft them. It might never drop but hey, it still feels better than going to a guy and clicking a button to have it.

Also if I'm not mistaken, traders are much better for SP than MP, because even though you can share quests, the rewards go to the one guy who started the quest, and in a group of 3 if you wanna stick together that means that only 1/3 quest gives you a reward, which is very subpar.

No every guy can turn in the quest for his very own reward.

Found another bug. :p I jumped off my 5 block high ladder and mounted my minibike in mid-air. Now, I'm in this camera view, and my legs are moving back and forth like I'm pedaling on a bicycle.

LsFvhYl.jpg

Video proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JL7zYMRiZQ

I always wanted to have a first-person view of the transport! This is very good for immersion in the game. I hate 3D view for riding on a transport !!!

I love the chainsaw!! Love it. I don't need no workbench or fancy axes. :)

It feels great to use. Even the worst quality one saved me in a pinch before horde night to make more wood spikes. The sound seems less annoying than older alphas too.

Yes you don't really need mining I keep saying. Power tools do pretty good.

So while hunting for another way to make the bike fly, I managed to get ejected from my bike and flung across the universe until I found myself in a place I can only describe as heaven. In heaven, apparently the sound gets broken except for the menu sounds and weapon textures do not finish streaming in lol. weird place.

coordinates are X-1780 Y29590.9 Z-6313.5 speed 0 Send rescue team assap! =P

20191016115924-1.jpg20191016115934-1.jpg20191016115939-1.jpg20191016120139-1.jpg

Map, which I'm no longer on. Heaven is located somewhere outside the map....

20191016120009-1.jpg

After 17 days of exploration and intensive quests (trust me, I never forget to loot a trash bag...), I never found the blueprint of the workshop.

None of the 3 traders around me had it in stock. And unfortunately I have no point of interest nearby with a functional workshop.

So I put 5 points in the intelligence branch, but I don't think it's meant to be like that.

It might be a good thing that traders ALWAYS have workstations in stock, with prohibitive prices of course.

After 17 days of exploration and intensive quests (trust me, I never forget to loot a trash bag...), I never found the blueprint of the workshop.

None of the 3 traders around me had it in stock. And unfortunately I have no point of interest nearby with a functional workshop.

So I put 5 points in the intelligence branch, but I don't think it's meant to be like that.

It might be a good thing that traders ALWAYS have workstations in stock, with prohibitive prices of course.

In my last world, the first trader I came across had a workbench for sale at day 1. 4k if i'm right. Seems like RNG is having a laugh at you :cocksure:

I think the availability of ammo for the turrets should account for them being less powerful as well. Scrap is very easy to find and thats all it takes to load em up. Yeah it may take longer to kill things but thats the trade off imo.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be buffed or whatever though.

Turrets are definitely not the cheap ranged option, Bows/Crossbows are. You can stealth late game POIs quite easily and for large groups of enemies at once like horde nights explosive arrows/bolts are really good. If ammo cheapness is a theoretical balancing factor than Agility is ludicrously overpowered right now thanks to the readdition of explosive arrows/bolts.

Iron is prolly cheaper than brass. That being said, this isn't A17 and iron is a bit harder to come by. Turrets use thousands of iron regularly. You need iron for steel, for traps, for spikes, for vehicels, etc. Gunpowder is super easy in A18, your only limitation on bullets is brass and brass is alot more available. AP ammo also gives you a much more efficient usage for brass considering it pierces to hit a second zombie. It's only an extra gunpowder cost and gunpowder may as well be infinite now. Which also makes Shotguns super easily available too honestly since they don't use brass but instead paper which you can get tons of.

When the feature was first announced TFP said that the gps would turn off and stay off unless a zombie detects you. Initially they said sight and sound could trigger the bloodmoon horde to restart.

Ok, so it doesn't matter if you fight then, because then can can detect you anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

The stun batons damage is underwhelming. I'm going full intelligence build, but I stopped using it because iron club does twice as much damage with no perk investment.

One way to make the stun baton more interesting is if at the level 5 perk level you unlocked an aoe shock ability.

I dunno... I've perked into it a little, and it hits so fast and stubs for enough time to build up a second charge before they can recover...so once they are stunned the first time, they are dead unless I screw up.

I'm also getting a lot of decapitations with it, so it might be perks working together.

In my last world, the first trader I came across had a workbench for sale at day 1. 4k if i'm right. Seems like RNG is having a laugh at you :cocksure:

I totally agree and to be honest, I don't care: I love RNG as much as it hates me ^^. But this kind of situation is not understandable for a new player. I don't think that if merchants were offering certain items all the time, that would be a problem for the gameplay.

A zombie seeing you isn’t a zombie using gps. It is simply a zombie seeing you....

Ok, so non horde zombies can get you, but the horde specific ones don't hunt you down. That makes more sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Any news on when the next patch is out

Yesterday MM said today, assuming they don't find something game breaking in it.

No they aren't off by default, people need to set it to default to wipe their old 17 settings which may cause bugs if you don't set to proper 18 defaults.

Maybe settings / configurations should be separated for each main version, to avoid issues when upgrading.

Ok

Eg, having a separate A18 config to the A17 config

Yes you don't really need mining I keep saying. Power tools do pretty good.

I wouldn't know...day 62 and I've not seen anything other than a few auger parts in loot drops, and the trader has never had any or an auger.

(And the beauty of random loot, is my wife found a tier 4 auger in loot last night, day 8.)

- - - Updated - - -

whats this patch for anyone got ideas

If you read the last few pages of posts, you would have seen both Fataal and Madmole posting about fixes, balance changes, and optimisations as they added them for it. ;)

I don't think using a gun from a different attribute should be ignored. Because you have practically free choice among other trees (whichever dropped the best gun or you have the most ammo available) and the turrets just amplify the damage of whatever weapon you use. The most flexible game play you can get.

But yes, the neccessity for frequent reloads sounds like it could be a serious problem for horde night, even using only two turrets. Still have to try it myself though.

Fully spec'd AK + 2 fully spec'd turrets kills 25 feral bikers about 20% faster than fully spec'd AK alone. For the cost of 21 points. Not worth at all and spent half of the test reloading. 2 points less in the AK would have been equal kill times most likely. Baseline AK + 2 turrets definitely took longer than just spec'd AK alone.

My buried stash sucked. Dont know if I was just unlucky or what.

If buried treasure are so good maybe set them to only spawn in the wasteland? But gotta be honest I would not do them unless I started getting good ones.

What Tier of Buried Supplies did you have? Tier 1 or Tier 2? I find the Tier 1's are usually far superior (in terms of loot) than T2's, since T1 Buried Supplies are almost guaranteed to contain a super food/drink/elixir as well as a food/drink/seed/elixir recipe.

Archived