Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

question:

I failed one of the fetch quests, by leaving the zone before I got the materials. I just needed some more stones for my axe and it thought I was leaving and failed.

Now I can't delete the quest from my quest log. And the trader does not reoffer it.

Is it a bug, or am I just a dumb-head?

The quest stays in your log just like any successful quest. Naturally the trader doesn't offer it again, you failed it, you're not worthy :cocksure:.

Just take a new one.

Also if I'm not mistaken, traders are much better for SP than MP, because even though you can share quests, the rewards go to the one guy who started the quest, and in a group of 3 if you wanna stick together that means that only 1/3 quest gives you a reward, which is very subpar.

You are mistaken

What else can I try? Thanks

* "gfx af 0" in the console.

* turn down resolution

* turn down texture size to half, quarter, eighth until it works

* wait for the patch that is fixing the bug doing this

Yeah there are some positive points for the new rwg, but i don't know if it's such an improvement over a17. I'm thinking of the same biomes in the same layout on every map. And the cities are all squares.

Making natural terrain was the primary goal and I think we smashed it. Roads and towns are added afterwards and need improved code.

Every tree i believe has 3 weps except INT, maybe just had a small hand held gun type, hell, make it simple like a flamethrower eventually? all chemical/mechanical based weaponry

I feel like that is where it is lacking is a legit gun in the INT tree that doesnt give whip lash when firing from the hip

TBH if they eliminated the recoil from handheld turret, allowed it to use all non-scope mods, tightened up it's hipfire by like 20%, and made it full auto by default it would work just fine as a short ranged lower damage autogun mean to work in combo with placed turrets. I understand the thematic idea of the recoil, but I think gameplay > thematic relevance in this case. They have something that would serve as a proper gun without adding a new weapon, it just needs it's balance adjusted.

But even if you added a new Int gun it couldn't' be as powerful as other guns because you can get the turrets in the same stat tree and reloading 3 weapons constantly is quite frankly annoying AF and you spend half your time reloading the turrets and whatever 3 weapon you're using. Plus the inventory space of 3 weapons + all their ammo. Feels bad :(.

Yeah I love the turret idea but they are indeed less viable compared to other trees even with using 3 of them. (2 placed+1 handheld)

I still like them and all and they are a good support for other trees but are not good on their own. Which is prolly the point. I like to use shotguns and turrets on my Int play through. Does very well.

I don't know why people waste perks on Lucky Looter, all it does is shorten your quest to find good loot by a week or two of game days in the grand scheme of things.

I thought LL increased the chance of getting better and rarer loot. I did not know that loot is determined on Game days.

Here is my thoughts on how I thought or how LL should work in regards to finding loot

There should be a flat loot roll chance that remains unmodified until you perk into it. meaning whether its day 1 or day 100 that roll chance for loot should remain unmodified. if you want to get good loot faster than most you will want to get LL rank 5 and have the Lucky Googles on. if you want loot every so often but maybe its not so much on the forefront of your play through then maybe you get a point or two into LL.

can this be done? tied loot quality into perks instead of player lvl/GS?

So IF handheld turret wasn't absolute garbage and IF you didn't have to manually pick up and reload the turrets at full spec your killing power would be between Shotguns and everything else with 3 turrets (2 placed + 1 handheld). But as is turrets lag woefully behind everything else with both more limitations and DPS that is almost 50% less than the next worst contender.

I don't think using a gun from a different attribute should be ignored. Because you have practically free choice among other trees (whichever dropped the best gun or you have the most ammo available) and the turrets just amplify the damage of whatever weapon you use. The most flexible game play you can get.

But yes, the neccessity for frequent reloads sounds like it could be a serious problem for horde night, even using only two turrets. Still have to try it myself though.

Yeah I figure turrets are meant more as a support role then a singular weapon choice. Its hard to just play on single tree without branching out.

So that is how I use em. As support for whatever else. The manual reloading is annoying but its not that bad. I have 3 turrets that I rotate as they run out of ammo.

tl;dr version for you is that turrets require the same skill point investment as other weapons but have much lower DPS and many more limitations/downsides. I spawn in 25 feral bikers and mow them down with various weapons, only allowing AP ammo for marksman rifle (since that's the entire thing of perception tree guns really). M60 clears the group in 35 seconds, Marksman Rifle, SMG, AK clear the group in 50-60 seconds, Pump Shotgun clears the group in 82 seconds, Turrets Clear the group in like 113 seconds.

So IF handheld turret wasn't absolute garbage and IF you didn't have to manually pick up and reload the turrets at full spec your killing power would be between Shotguns and everything else with 3 turrets (2 placed + 1 handheld). But as is turrets lag woefully behind everything else with both more limitations and DPS that is almost 50% less than the next worst contender.

That's a pretty good analysis. It looks like the comparison is the speed to kill? If the goal is the speed to kill time, perhaps a slight buff is all that is needed to one or a few of the perk levels.

I wouldnt mind max 2 turrets at lvl 3 and max 3 turrets at lvl 5 if they can get the balance right. 😎

I think the availability of ammo for the turrets should account for them being less powerful as well. Scrap is very easy to find and thats all it takes to load em up. Yeah it may take longer to kill things but thats the trade off imo.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be buffed or whatever though.

The only place where auto sort is useful is in pre-sorted chests, like ones that only have food items. There I can see it being beneficial.

A sensible default goes a long way to help at least some users. I actually use the sort function even though it isn't ideal.

Ideal would be (similar to Factorio does it for rail waggons and toolbelt) a method to lock specific inventory slots to a specific item. Middle mouse button on an already filled slot should toggle it on (and off again). Empty locked slots should have the item icon as a grey shadow and all locked slots should have a lightly tinted background.

@MM, what do you think about adding some random promotional offers to merchants?

For example:

Concrete with a 50% discount, only during this day!

I will buy 5 parts of the gun at a price of 300%. It is urgent, details are needed today!

Urgent quest to clean the building from zombies. Execution during this day guarantees 1000% of dukes!

So many games do inventory "wrong". =) But yes, essentials, things you wan to keep in your pack, always go in the bottom right, since everything new is always dropped in the upper left. Much easier to keep track of things that way.

Be nice to have an anchor function so that item always goes there to that spot if you get one.

DayNightLength does not seem to be set correctly.120 minutes equals 66 minutes real time = 66 minutes a day instead of 120 minutes a day

Are you referring to the time between noon and noon or the actual daylight itself ? I saw no errors with setting the daylength to 120 minutes. It needs 120 minutes then.

<property name="DayNightLength" value="60" /> <!-- real time minutes per in game day: 60 minutes -->
<property name="DayLightLength" value="18" /> <!-- in game hours the sun shines per day: 18 hours day light per in game day -->

Alternately, move military fiber to Tier 3 Light Armor form Yeah, Science. The recipe isn't bad - especially since one craft gives 10 fiber - it's just if you're not planning to go into Int at all, you need that schematic.

Its actually less requirement than steel which is INT 10 to get the crucible. But they sell steel at the trader and I buy them out because its so useful for a lot of stuff, where military fiber is harder to find and traders don't sell it as much. Seems to be It just needs to be made a bit more available and I'd be ok with it.

same thing I thought in A17. There is always a way to reproduce a bug. Yes I've read other reports of this bug happening which is why I'll try and reproduce. This might take countless hours to find like it did last time, which is why I would not go hunting for a bug only one person reported. Thanks for all the info, this will help me out. :)

Yes it seems random but could be a specific thing, like hitting something breakable, or unity collision is failing. Like the hatch teleport, getting smashed between colliders in unity can cause something to get propelled. Maybe running something over that has collision the collider didn't get built in time, it turns on after the bike penetrated it, which propels the bike to the sky.

Its actually less requirement than steel which is INT 10 to get the crucible. But they sell steel at the trader and I buy them out because its so useful for a lot of stuff, where military fiber is harder to find and traders don't sell it as much. Seems to be It just needs to be made a bit more available and I'd be ok with it.

wait you need intellect 10 for the crucible??

i think i unlocked when i make the workbench!

edit: NM i forgot there was A blueprint

I use it as part of the foundation for my Lone Wolf (Intellect/Perception) mercenary build. When you're always on the run, burning the clock getting from point A to point B, your scavving needs to be on point. If I want to stay ahead of the pack I don't have time to waste beating things with rocks like a caveman or building a cozy little love nest where I can play the starving artist. For the smart survivor it's all about economics and labor efficiency. Those fractions of a second and few extra scraps add up fast when you deal in volume. If you build good relationships with the traders, and spend your dukes wisely, a wee kickstart can be leveraged into a huge asset when the ♥♥♥♥ really hits the fan. You start off with a small business stripping cars for spare parts and gasoline and the next thing you know you're trafficking in high-value military hardware. And then who's rocking and rolling all night when the blood moon rises? (Me, that's who.) I'm not going to tiptoe through the tulips, if I want to take a POI I'm going in fast and hard and terminating any resistance with extreme prejudice. The early bird catches the worm, so I'll pop Lucky Looter, Grease Monkey and Salvage Operations straight out the tutorial and be geared up and back on the road in three days. Have guns, will travel.

:yo:

Yeah its a good perk, it depends what character build you are wanting to do IMO. I'm glad the game feels like it has character builds now, replay value is much higher :)

Archived