Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'd say you were choosing quick over quality but that's a judgement call.

The complexity and attention to detail is what first drew many of us to the game in the first place.

Why bother having smooth terrain? It's been a constant source of long-standing bugs, is complicated, and has caused many issues with frame rate. You do it because you know in the end it's innovation that sets the bar higher for everyone else to follow.

It's a sad day to see someone constrained by boundaries they could easily brush aside.

Put detail where it matters, not in obfuscated complicated designs. Smooth terrain is a must have, complicated annoying weather survival isn't. We'll land on something that impacts game play but isn't frustrating.

Probs because 17.3 doesn't have a confirmed date yet let alone 18, so he shot for the stars. Ugh that sounds ♥♥♥♥y I know, but I'm STARVED for content, I wanna blow zombies up with a rocket launcher again!

All hands are on deck for 17.3 currently. Hopefully soon.

One of the simplest interactions I can think of is the ability to predict bad weather. By looking at the clouds in the distance you can tell if the weather is likely to be fine for a bit or if you're just about to head off scavenging in a storm.

There's also the option to try and run from or bypass bad weather. With a global variable you know that no matter which direction you go the weather will be the same, a perlin map allows for dry pockets and the possibility to avoid the storm.

You'll have that option, its called indoors. What your referring to is what pisses me off about it. Oh its raining I'll just change biomes and escape it. I want rain to drop the temperature and cause some issues. Maybe ruin some people's plans for the day like IRL. Stay home and craft/organize your stuff/work on your base that day instead of travel.

Hi !

Any possibility for a graphic update ? Optimization Update too ?

I can run Battleflied 5 extra but 7 days to die on medium ^^ ...

Thanks any way for your works.

Can you dig the ground and destroy all the buildings in Battlefield and build whatever you want? Ok then lets not compare apples to oranges or static worlds to dynamic ones. Anyhow we are working on a bunch of optimizations but its typically a lot of work for .01% cpu gain.

I want rain to drop the temperature and cause some issues. Maybe ruin some people's plans for the day like IRL. Stay home and craft/organize your stuff/work on your base that day instead of travel.

Yeah ! That would be excellent. Can we have umbrellas ^^ ?

Any chance of getting sick and catching illnesses from the environment and weather?

Like back in the Pen and Paper Days of the early 80s , in Gamma World(a game that's world and setting kick the ♥♥♥♥ out of Fallout)

when the party was traveling every certain amount of distance , the GM would roll percentile dice to see if anyone caught something...

normal weather and terrain had a tiny 2% chance , other terrain types would increase that chance...and weather would increase that chance

as well...all by small amounts , but the more time you spent in hostile terrain and or weather , the greater chance characters had of getting ill

Its just a minor thing , but applying sickness debuffs to the player for things like that , could add to the survival aspect...or just annoy people and give them something else to bitch about! ;)

You'll have that option, its called indoors. What your referring to is what pisses me off about it. Oh its raining I'll just change biomes and escape it. I want rain to drop the temperature and cause some issues. Maybe ruin some people's plans for the day like IRL. Stay home and craft/organize your stuff/work on your base that day instead of travel.

+1

I must say I agree to this. It will add to the immersion of the game and it sounds like it will create a system that will be easier to control and balance.

I do like the thought of global weather effects, I also hope that the biome borders will get some love and that we will get a more morphed transition in a wider area than what we get now :)

That would be awesome and reminiscent of my very first game that got me hooked. These days I build from scratch, but for my first game ever I secured the original 2 story cabin with the outside stone stairway. A couple days in it started to rain and it didn't stop for several days. It was wet and cold so I couldn't go very far. I managed to get a couple layers of spikes in just in time for a horde of bears! Maybe things were more random back then to cause such a horde so soon, but it happened. It was difficult, gloomy, even depressing, but most importantly, terrifying... and was one of my most memorable moments that kept me coming back for more.

Sooooo I'm not trying to ask for a release date. Though instead of saying it's done when it's done. We already know that Alpha 18 is coming in the first half of 2019 according to MadMole (Which is by the end of June and I'm sure a lot of us really thank you for even giving us that much) This is a rough date. Not a release date.

Though what about Alpha 17.3? I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask for a rough date or at least the bare minimum amount of time that needs to pass before Alpha 17.3.

Is it possible that Alpha 17.3 could release tomorrow? Do you guys feel the release is still at least a week away? Month away? Because due to the new random gen overhaul I strongly feel a LOT of servers will be wiping with this patch. Some form of knowing at least how much time we roughly have left till then would be extremely helpful instead of hitting Refresh on the forums every 12 hours.

Put detail where it matters, not in obfuscated complicated designs. Smooth terrain is a must have, complicated annoying weather survival isn't. We'll land on something that impacts game play but isn't frustrating.

An inescapable weather system is less annoying than weather system that can be planned for and avoided?

I don't mind arguments against my ideas but at least make it logical.

Maybe make it so you lose health after been a certain amount of time in the Rain, so people are trying to avoid it and have to find some shelter :)

Our maybe getting less room in your inventory when u are wet so balance from the wet cloth that has gain more weight

I'd like to see the game optimized so I can play it without crashing after 5 min. No troubles from 13 when i started playing til 16. !7 drops and the money spent for the game has now become a donation as I can no longer play it.

I'd like to see the game optimized so I can play it without crashing after 5 min. No troubles from 13 when i started playing til 16. !7 drops and the money spent for the game has now become a donation as I can no longer play it.

Nobody is asking for a donation which is why you can opt in to your choice of A13 - A16.

Put that $10 to $25 you spent to work!

Look at the POIs and quests we have now. The party enters a self-contained interior space and traverses a maze-like layout full of enemies, traps, and puzzles until they reach a 'treasure room' and/or complete a predefined, action or exploration based objective. Like it or not, that IS a dungeon crawler! It seems to me more variable stats on the guns or other loot would just spice things up, making it less repetitive if anything.

Somewhat. it is not fully enclosed (mobs often come from outside and beat their way in), is fully destructible and only a small part of the game itself.

The game also lacks a certain volume of equipment that you would normally see with a dungeon crawler typically has that makes randomized numbers more reasonable not to mention that there is an utter lack of scaling that is almost a requirement for progression in those types of games.

I'm itching hard for some good news on next update - are we looking at something soon? Can we see what's confirmed on next patch & what's delayed for the next patch or pushed 'till A18?

I really liked to see that updated page with all these things displayed, also had a bit of an idea as to when to potentially expect it. Just itching for some news on upcoming goods!

I know this is probably a mod forum question but is it possible to have an ITEM (items.xml) that is bound to a player? so it can't be given to others. this would help with questing.

options for quest items:

-- Bound to a steam ID/Player

-- expires (could use repair dmg and no repair option I guess)

-- no drop or no give options - although bound would mean dropping ok but can't pick up if not bound to you.

A19 might see proper radiated game play and we would delete biomes before adding any more. To me its rather immersion breaking changing biomes too frequently. I hope to have a global precipitation system for A19 right now you can just leave the biome and avoid the weather and its kind of immersion breaking its raining in one biome and not the other. It would snow in the snow biome.

Yes, please! :)

Can you dig the ground and destroy all the buildings in Battlefield and build whatever you want? Ok then lets not compare apples to oranges or static worlds to dynamic ones. Anyhow we are working on a bunch of optimizations but its typically a lot of work for .01% cpu gain.

If we could at least get back to how the game ran back in A16 I ran it so much better back then. Its something to do with shadows for sure because even on Near shadows FPS is struggling everywhere but Empty desert fields and snow biome, but I turn Shadows off and suddenly Im hitting 100+ FPS even with everything else maxed.

I think most people would agree the following are true statements:

1.) Finding gun parts and not whole guns was stupid. It was merely a gamey mechanic to slow players down from getting great firearms too soon.

2.) Teaching new players how to assemble, repair guns or parts was confusing.

3.) Mods that don't do damage are largely uninteresting.

4.) The current system at its core is fine, its way better than repairing individual parts (clunky AF)

5.) It just needs some sort of random ranges and it could be interesting

Given the context of those mostly true statements you can see how we fell on the design we did. Fallout 4 has all sorts of gun mods and the only ones worth a crap are the ones that increase damage and the scopes. I just don't see how to make enough interesting mods without getting too gamey "adds extra damage to super mutants", again, its even damage and its totally meh. All you go for in Fallout is the incendiary legendary weapons and its game over. At the end of the day damage is the main thing players are after and we didn't want 5 damage mods and 100 meh mods.

Mods that change handling are also "interesting".

In Ghost Recon Wildlands it's done pretty well. Some mods give you better range, silence the weapon or even add more damage but take away handling. Some mods increase handling instead. When you're building a close range weapon to use inside of a house, you might prefer less range and damage to reload and aim faster.

"Quote Originally Posted by madmole View Post:

I want rain to drop the temperature and cause some issues. Maybe ruin some people's plans for the day like IRL. Stay home and craft/organize your stuff/work on your base that day instead of travel."

So agree here, I was hoping for maybe floods or such but that's off the cards, so maybe if we not have the right footwear we end with trench foot. Or the constant wet weather could cause dysentery or something.

Archived