Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm sure it was mentioned before but the loot balance does seem a little concerning, kinda like how it was when A17 was first released. There are loot boxes and iron reinforced chests that are easy to get to, and less zombies so they're less defended, then they drop lvl 3 AKs and whatnot on day 2

And I respect and understand that, all I am saying is you still can limit yourself to streamer video and don't have to active in forum for this weekend. even if you launch for all of us. You can choose to limit yourself.

Streamer video is not really a Testing event, it is marketing event. Experimental release is testing event. :) But, you guys are doing good. Just that your comment about getting info from event seems little off to me.

Except the forum is still going to fill up with messages that someone has to go through.

Players could still use RWG to make a bad map, then be stuck with it or have to start a new game after we fix it in a few days. We did find some floating buildings in our PREGEN maps.

Streamer video event is whatever I get out of it. If it helps marketing great, but I've got bugs to fix.

Plenty of info: Saw the garage door exploit in action. Glancing blows doing some odd stuff to groups. The vehicle shoot to the sky bug, which no tester has caught a video of before it launched you. FPS drops which we only tonight have found a repro for. Rage boosts in action, which I am tweaking. Stair jump designs, which I plan to adjust destroy area for. Some AI standing around. Why? BM kiting (and complaints) that I am further increasing Nightmare speed for. Disappearing trees that I made an adjustment for.

Except the forum is still going to fill up with messages that someone has to go through.

Players could still use RWG to make a bad map, then be stuck with it or have to start a new game after we fix it in a few days. We did find some floating buildings in our PREGEN maps.

Streamer video event is whatever I get out of it. If it helps marketing great, but I've got bugs to fix.

Plenty of info: Saw the garage door exploit in action. Glancing blows doing some odd stuff to groups. The vehicle shoot to the sky bug, which no tester has caught a video of before it launched you. FPS drops which we only tonight have found a repro for. Rage boosts in action, which I am tweaking. Stair jump designs, which I plan to adjust destroy area for. Some AI standing around. Why? BM kiting (and complaints) that I am further increasing Nightmare speed for. Disappearing trees that I made an adjustment for.

I assume you know about this issue? (:

Timestamp: 18:10

Generally we are a group of gamers (board games and/or computer games) so the topic was agreeable to many and looking at the screen was natural when you sat on the sofas/chairs in front of the TV and were talking about it. Nearly the same would have happened with anything running on the TV, even commericals. Listening to it was difficult to impossible though because of the noise of our own and the other guests talking.

I'm not saying that nobody in that group is watching streamers, in fact I know 3 of them do, with two of them being minors. But I don't think the evening changed the habit of anyone in the slighest.

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?111778-Alpha-18-Dev-Diary!!&p=1026506&viewfull=1#post1026506

those pics are awesome! Good times looks like.

Just make sure you're choosing the right ones. Some of these streamers haven't streamed 7 days in months, and ONLY play when new alphas come in before dropping it like a bad habit. Hopefully you ignore those reactions because they're just streaming for the numbers and no one needs feedback from those types.

And if they normally stream other games, they are still showing our game to an audience who might not even know that it exists. =)

Is there a known timeframe for the release on monday ?

In the patch notes it does say:

Expect a public experimental to follow sometime Monday afternoon October 7th.

So that would be midnight to the morning of tuesday for europe?

Is that still correct or something like: " We just dont know if there will be a bug we want to fix at monday, so we wont say anything about a time frame." ?

PS: Just to know if it is worth to wait monday evening or better just get enough sleep for tuesday evening ^^

Is there a known timeframe for the release on monday ?

In the patch notes it does say:

So that would be midnight to the morning of tuesday for europe?

Is that still correct or something like: " We just dont know if there will be a bug we want to fix at monday, so we wont say anything about a time frame." ?

PS: Just to know if it is worth to wait monday evening or better just get enough sleep for tuesday evening ^^

Add 6-7 hours for european players. If experimental A18 is released at noon in Madmole's timezone, it's 6 PM for me, for example.

Best guess: Madmole wakes up at the rooster crowing, he is in top form, jumps in his shoes, goes to the office, takes a coffee and presses the red button. At that moment, it's nine o'clock in the morning ...

And then, fire envelopes everything!

@madmole Here are my thoughts concerning zombie AI in A18, and why A18 will be the perfect alpha, AI wise:

What is more dangerous than a robot? A human. Unlike a robot that cannot think for itself, humans have a unique ability that no other creature or creation possesses: imagination. We, as a species, can think and plan ahead, solve clues, and think outside the box. We affect the environment as much as we are affected by it. A robot, on the other hand, cannot hope to achieve this. They have a set of pre-determined functions that become easy to abuse once you learn the algorithms. There is nothing to hide, thus we can examine, decipher, and put methods into practice that cheese them to the point where they are little to no threat to us. In Alpha 16, zombies were not robots, nor did they fit under the unique category that humans do. They were savage, simple-minded entities that had no concern for their own safety and would achieve their objective (braaains...) by any means necessary. This made them incredibly dangerous, for you were not able to manipulate them to the extent as we could in Alpha 17, but in the end, brains triumphed over brawn. (Or to be more accurate, superior defenses won over the offense.) This system made the zombies devastating to new and even experienced players, but over time, we mastered the game. That's what humans do, and that's what humans have always done. In Alpha 17, with the aid of a tutorial, even a noob could beat the game. (Not only that, but the zombies would chew through most normal bases like a hot knife through butter, which was a huge issue.)

In summary, you cannot outsmart a human unless you make them face off against another human (and once you get there, results may vary again); we outsmart and out-think our opponents to death, literally. But one sure-fire way to defeat a human is to add a sense of unpredictability. Alpha 18 does this wonderfully, adding a variety of "smart" zombies and dumb zombies. It certainly isn't perfect and may need further refinement, but this, THIS, is how you defeat the player while keeping things fresh, interesting, but still dangerous. While we will certainly come out on top at the end of the day (as we, as a species, have always done), but if you want to beat a human at their own game, then you come from multiple angles and not head-on. This is why I genuinely, strongly believe that when it comes to AI in Alpha 18, Alpha 18 will be the greatest alpha in 7D2D history, hands down.

Yea Personally I have watched a couple of twitch streams but stayed focused on the ones who do 7D2D regularly, JaWoodle, Glock9 and Capp00.

(By the way watching JaWoodle play Ravenhearst was highly entertaining and got us to give it a go)

Personally I can't wait for NotaGamerGaming to get their hands on it with the rest of us, those two will be joyous.

Ha thanks man, we’re looking forward to it too, and we appreciate the mention among the big folks.

We’re going to hit A18 hard with vids and streams next week, to catch as much of the wave as possible... and I just want to freakin play it too lol. Energy drinks purchased and a day off from work is planned :)

Best guess: Madmole wakes up at the rooster crowing, he is in top mood, jumps in his shoes, goes to the office, takes a coffee and presses the red button. At that moment, it's nine o'clock in the morning ...

Well, Tuesday then. You have to collect your tears elsewhere :smile-new:

I'm sure it was mentioned before but the loot balance does seem a little concerning, kinda like how it was when A17 was first released. There are loot boxes and iron reinforced chests that are easy to get to, and less zombies so they're less defended, then they drop lvl 3 AKs and whatnot on day 2

The "Arms Race" between the player and the zombies is real in A18. Getting a temporary superiority or weakness compared to the zombies is just that: Temporary. :)

I'm sure things will be tweaked if something seems too out of sync with Game Stage.

I agree for all these elements (this is the change in gameplay I've been waiting for a lot of alphas). But we were talking about food and I don't think there will be a shortage for that. Finding food has never been a problem and this is why I'm very excited about the new disease system. I'm sure I'll change it quickly to increase the probability of getting sick.

agree, exept bottled water. if you boil murky piss (water) from toilet, it becomes botled water and that should not make you sick. bacon and eggs 3 days old makes you sick for sure.

And I respect and understand that, all I am saying is you still can limit yourself to streamer video and don't have to active in forum for this weekend. even if you launch for all of us. You can choose to limit yourself.

There are a handful of reasons why the streamer event happens and there are a few reasons why it is done exclusively. You picked a single reason that may be weak if it were the only reason for exclusivity. But taking ALL reasons together might show a different picture.

Another reason for the exclusivity would be that TFP wants more viewers for the streams. If everyone is playing A18, people new to 7d2d would be the only viewers of the streams and the streams would not even show up on any lists of "most watched" and look deserted. Do you think streamers will do a stream all weekend if nobody is watching?

I know it's not a hight priority thing but since there are a lot of stats to compare now, could you guys change how the stats display... (A18.x)

AFAIK this was already changed

Archived