Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Well how bad is the food poisoning you get? Is it merely annoying and you have to eat a couple more rations for a few minutes or is it THIS IS THE END OH FRIEND DEATH, TAKE ME TO PARADISE!!...and you might as well eat some glass to get it over with?

You lose all your chow down to the minimum stamina, whatever that is... 20 or 25% I think.

After you throw the spear it should appear on the map so you can track it down in case you miss your target and get turned around in a fight. I seen this happen to Games4kickz last night. He lost sight of his spear and it blended right into the forest biome, took him a few minutes to find it.

It sounds perfect like that. Why would it be easy to find the weapon I stupidly thrown in the middle of the night ?

It was too much, but I did see the potential so we actually adjusted our default more like what he was doing and its more vibrant than what we had (but not broken icons and hud like his). Todays version should be more vibrant if that update went out to them. I posted a screen here:

Does look more vibrant.

But maybe a bit too much. Maybe using a setting halfway between the old and the new test setup.

Does look more vibrant.

But maybe a bit too much. Maybe using a setting halfway between the old and the new test setup.

I agree, it feels to be a little too vibrant. Maybe try lowering the saturation by about 10% or so? From what I can tell, a lot of tones feel slightly too warm, if you get what I mean.

There are still several POI (y-offset) hight placement bugs in RWG. Resuling in buldings be places too high or low.

One of them was a small church. I guess the level designerw edited the POI templates, and the hight was not updated yet for the RWG generator.

You lose all your chow down to the minimum stamina, whatever that is... 20 or 25% I think.

That doesnt sound bad at all. Seems really only risky when you are starting off and food is scarce. I hope some day in the future it scales from "losing all your current hunger meter" to "Montezuma's revenge" randomly when get the food poisoning, kinda like real life. Sometimes food poisoning is a bad day of blowing and going. Other times it can kill you.

That doesnt sound bad at all. Seems really only risky when you are starting off and food is scarce. I hope some day in the future it scales from "losing all your current hunger meter" to "Montezuma's revenge" randomly when get the food poisoning, kinda like real life. Sometimes food poisoning is a bad day of blowing and going. Other times it can kill you.

thxs i was eating a snack. now i don't want too lol

No you'll have it by 6pm Monday I'd guess.

The real point is they will be getting it at the same time as everyone else regardless of the name of the day. They make it sound like we here in the West will be getting on THEIR Monday and then they have to wait another 12 hours for THEIR Tuesday to hit.

Everyone will be waiting an equal amount of time.

The real point is they will be getting it at the same time as everyone else regardless of the name of the day. They make it sound like we here in the West will be getting on THEIR Monday and then they have to wait another 12 hours for THEIR Tuesday to hit.

Everyone will be waiting an equal amount of time.

Sorry but no : it depends in which dimension you live.

Stats are random, so a blue might be a POS but generally isn't. It generally keeps you in the orange and brown for a while, but there is always that lucky rare drop, but we might have to nerf it more.

You might want to nerf it a bit more, yes...

3:12:12

I've been seeing a fair bit of this in the past few streams I've been watching from people. :p

Note: Quality 3 items appear to be showing up a lot in those Reinforced Chests

When I heard you talking about vomiting in the video I was thinking "man as if we don't have enough trouble keeping up with food as it is" but this is a survival game after all and I guess it can't be easy but man I'm certainly not looking forward to it but it is what it is I guess.

I know balancing is on going and things are always changing so we will see how this plays out.

Well how bad is the food poisoning you get? Is it merely annoying and you have to eat a couple more rations for a few minutes or is it THIS IS THE END OH FRIEND DEATH, TAKE ME TO PARADISE!!...and you might as well eat some glass to get it over with?

It’s bad. It happened to me on Day 2. As for whether someone will just eat glass or take on the quest to get more food depends on the person. For me, it was satisfying overcoming the status.

It was too much, but I did see the potential so we actually adjusted our default more like what he was doing and its more vibrant than what we had (but not broken icons and hud like his). Todays version should be more vibrant if that update went out to them. I posted a screen here:

It looks much better, thanks.

It’s bad. It happened to me on Day 2. As for whether someone will just eat glass or take on the quest to get more food depends on the person. For me, it was satisfying overcoming the status.

As long as a player can overcome it, and with madmole reply it doesn't sound that bad. Sounds similar to my playstyle of subsisting off yucca early game and getting food poisoning and then eating more yucca, lol.

You might want to nerf it a bit more, yes...

3:12:12

I've been seeing a fair bit of this in the past few streams I've been watching from people. :p

Note: Quality 3 items appear to be showing up a lot in those Reinforced Chests

I'm not sure we want to flood nothing but brown Guppy likes his random loot. He might have just got fairly lucky. Its only t2 items he found and yellow, nothing too great.

When I heard you talking about vomiting in the video I was thinking "man as if we don't have enough trouble keeping up with food as it is" but this is a survival game after all and I guess it can't be easy but man I'm certainly not looking forward to it, but it is what it is I guess.

Food spoilage, vomiting its the same thing. You are eating food that might be spoiled, you don't really know. I typically have 5 stacks of meat and loads of canned food, stuff I grew, enough food to feed 20 people for a month, without iron gut perk which lowers metabolism, without ANY cooking perks, and I never buy any food ever. WE're finally getting it to the point where you might have a small struggle with food on the first couple of days probably. Its a good change IMO.

Read all the requests for food spoilage and a reason to horde food or even buy it. Finally I'm buying some food or doing buried treasure quests to get food, and a player SHOULD freak out and hunt every animal he sees not pass them by because you have 5 stacks of meat and a full chest of food stocked up without even trying.

Madmole, I thought Games4kickz made an interesting point on his stream last night about the stun baton. With the other attribute builds, you can craft a tier 1 version weapon right away. But, if you go for a full intelligence build you have to get lucky and find a stun baton, because you cant craft it without stun baton parts.

What if when you perk into stun baton you get some parts as a reward so you craft one right away?

Food spoilage, vomiting its the same thing. You are eating food that might be spoiled, you don't really know. I typically have 5 stacks of meat and loads of canned food, stuff I grew, enough food to feed 20 people for a month, without iron gut perk which lowers metabolism, without ANY cooking perks, and I never buy any food ever. WE're finally getting it to the point where you might have a small struggle with food on the first couple of days probably. Its a good change IMO.

Read all the requests for food spoilage and a reason to horde food or even buy it. Finally I'm buying some food or doing buried treasure quests to get food, and a player SHOULD freak out and hunt every animal he sees not pass them by because you have 5 stacks of meat and a full chest of food stocked up without even trying.

Still... low tier canned food has no chance to get infected BUT level 5 iron gut with THE MOST EXPENSIVE FOODS in the game and you still got a chance to get infected? Is that alright? Not it is not. Not on paper nor gameplay wise. Bumb up the big food's requirements and delete their chance to infect. Tweak the most expensive food tipes and make an equivalent to "Mineral water" but in food, plz.

Late game food = Expensive but no chance to get food poisoning.

Edit: By chance to get infected I meant Food Poisoning LOL.

Ah yeah see since I haven't played Alpha 18 yet I wouldn't know so I guess my lack of actual experience with alpha 18 and my experience with alpha 17 is leading me to think something that is not true and balancing is ever on going so I guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks for clarifying the reasoning behind the idea of vomiting.

Madmole, I thought Games4kickz made an interesting point on his stream last night about the stun baton. With the other attribute builds, you can craft a tier 1 version weapon right away. But, if you go for a full intelligence build you have to get lucky and find a stun baton, because you cant craft it without stun baton parts.

What if when you perk into stun baton you get some parts as a reward so you craft one right away?

So, you automatically receive parts and then you craft your stick. Isn't it the same as receiving a stick for free? So you want the perk AND the weapon at the same time, or do I miss something ?

Archived