Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

"This means that just because your hardware can run the latest Call of Duty at 4k, doesn’t mean you can run 7 Days at 4k with the same hardware."

Pfft, but my PC CAN run 7DTD Alpha 17 at 4K (60-120 FPS usually, and under WINE on Linux no less) at max details. Does that mean I can now play at 8K for Alpha 18? :)

Did you guys change project settings to include Vulkan shaders finally? Or are Linux users being hanged out to dry again? Luckily the game, at least for the moment, works great with Proton with relatively few bugs. Faster than Windows too!

You must take into account that nothing is expensive when comes the late game.

Mmm that depends. I used to play 120 hours without a single farm. A late game item is a late game item though. Not funny if you expend a good chunk of your resources to get food poisoning. Cheap stuff.

There sure needs to be another way to deplete the food reserves, like:

Bandits that target food resources and steal them.

Bandits/npcs that use extorsion/ ask for a good bunch of food.

When hitting a rock/soil chance to spawn underground rapidly multiplying critters that target your food supplies/drain your stamina on hit.

A chance for Zds to "instantly infect/spoil" all the foods in a container when they hit it.

Mmm that depends. I used to play 120 hours without a single farm. A late game item is a late game item though. Not funny if you expend a good chunk of your resources to get food poisoning. Cheap stuff.

There sure needs to be another way to deplete the food reserves, like:

Bandits that target food resources and steal them.

Bandits/npcs that use extorsion/ ask for a good bunch of food.

When hitting a rock/soil chance to spawn underground rapidly multiplying critters that target your food supplies/drain your stamina on hit.

A chance for Zds to "instantly infect/spoil" all the foods in a container when they hit it.

I have no idea what any of that has to do with expensive or not expensive. Seems like ways to justify a particular way of thinking. If you put some time into it maybe there are ways to justify what they did...

Like: Something in the air or the bodies and something that affected you (because there is NO STORY yet!) doesn't react well together.

Even plainer: A world cataclysmic event happened the affected everyone outside. But you were inside a lab and someone did things to you to see if maybe you could survive it. (like Resident Evil...)

Heck, I'll even wager Wasterer will come up with a few more...

And what about the bad influence he has on us? Some of us are obviously stoned.

Better to be stoned than to be stoned to death I reckon.. ^^

- - - Updated - - -

I want to hear about your birthday streamer party. How did it go and whom did you watch? I thought about you last night while I was visiting different streams.

Did you think about me last night as well??

Looks fine to me, that crap won't fly with 12 or 16 zombies or at a later game stage.

OK. we both dont use AI cheese so we prb dont care either way.

I just feel like if it is an easy fix, it should be looked at.

Zombies should be a threat and here they just look silly... xD

(would have been a turn off to see as a new player)

he can just add a few iron bars to protect from vulture / spider,

and if the demolishes AI can get stuck running in a loop as well, never hitting any block,

then this kind of exploit can be viable far into end game. :p

I have no idea what any of that has to do with expensive or not expensive. Seems like ways to justify a particular way of thinking. If you put some time into it maybe there are ways to justify what they did...

Like: Something in the air or the bodies and something that affected you (because there is NO STORY yet!) doesn't react well together.

Even plainer: A world cataclysmic event happened the affected everyone outside. But you were inside a lab and someone did things to you to see if maybe you could survive it. (like Resident Evil...)

Heck, I'll even wager Wasterer will come up with a few more...

I am not talking about all that cool stuff. I'm talking specificaly about Food Poisoning and why do I think putting chance of Food poisoning to late game elaborated foods gives no real reason to make them, rendering a HUGE amount of food items useless.

Just making late game food with 0% chance of Food Poisoning like Mineral Water would be enough. Or at least 0% With Iron gut. 0,000000001% won't do, because We'll just make Bacon and eggs period.

Also, I stated some alternatives to food depletion in that previous post.

The benefits have been listed innumerable times and I’ve seen you in those threads where the benefits have been listed. If you can see no benefits then you haven’t been paying attention. If you have been paying attention and just don’t believe in the benefits that have been laid out then the more important question to ask yourself is what emotional response is preventing you from believing and acknowledging the reasons.

As for paying customers, we all have received what we paid for. Show me on your receipt where your $25 granted you access to closed development builds upon demand. If you as a paying customer want exactly what you paid for then boot up any version from Alpha 9 through Alpah 17.4 and get some more value for your purchase. You can include A18-e to that list once it comes out of closed development status and enters early access status on Monday.

Roland I appreciate your position on the standard party line, I am not disputing the value of streamers but they are to be targeting new players, correct?

if so than why restrict those who have a "license" from playing at the same time?

I am of the opinion that most of us paid forum users have seen all of MM videos at least 1 time and so waiting a weekend to get something on a work day kinda sucks (that is a technical term).

you don't loose the value of the streamers and you keep those like me happy(er) :)

Roland I appreciate your position on the standard party line, I am not disputing the value of streamers but they are to be targeting new players, correct?

if so than why restrict those who have a "license" from playing at the same time?

I am of the opinion that most of us paid forum users have seen all of MM videos at least 1 time and so waiting a weekend to get something on a work day kinda sucks (that is a technical term).

you don't loose the value of the streamers and you keep those like me happy(er) :)

Pretty sure the streamers are also a way of testing for bugs before A18 goes out to the general public. The fewer bugs, the better the game plays. Impressions are important.

Pretty sure the streamers are also a way of testing for bugs before A18 goes out to the general public. The fewer bugs, the better the game plays. Impressions are important.

if feel you and i understand however IMO wouldn't be better if they release it and let people go mad. they get on the forum's list the bugs IN my mind over 100 streamers can find some stuff but over 1000 people can probably find bugs , and glitch's faster.

but i may just be high off my ass idk

but at the same time the streamer have content and can get paid for it. anit nothing wrong with making money. same for TFP.

I am excitedly waiting for my chance at A18 as well, but maybe in my case you could say that wisdom comes with age.

You will have A18 and the following patches available for months as the primary version and with Steam or the ModLoader the ability to go back to any beta you want for the foreseeable future. Whether you (and the other paid gamers) get the experimental now or 72 hours after streamers do really doesn't make a difference in the long run.

Let the Fun Pimps allow the streamers to hype the game and bring in new players, it will only help to make sure that the game continues to be developed and improved upon. From your join date you have been around log enough to have a few thousand hours in the game, is the next few really going to destroy your opportunity to enjoy the new build? I kinda doubt it.

if feel you and i understand however IMO wouldn't be better if they release it and let people go mad. they get on the forum's list the bugs

I think A17 had a rough landing and that probably wasn't very fun for a lot of people on both sides of the fence (developer/consumer). I mean, I'd like to play it now, but if a new player comes to the game and starts running into too many bugs then they might just get a refund and never look back. A three-day buffer doesn't seem like a big sacrifice. It is what it is and I'm content with it.

I think A17 had a rough landing and that probably wasn't very fun for a lot of people on both sides of the fence (developer/consumer). I mean, I'd like to play it now, but if a new player comes to the game and starts running into too many bugs then they might just get a refund and never look back. A three-day buffer doesn't seem like a big sacrifice. It is what it is and I'm content with it.

I wasn't around during that i got the game like 6 weeks ago. i got a pc just for 7dtd

but yeah i want not around so i i cant testify about that but ill take your word for it

Madmole, I thought Games4kickz made an interesting point on his stream last night about the stun baton. With the other attribute builds, you can craft a tier 1 version weapon right away. But, if you go for a full intelligence build you have to get lucky and find a stun baton, because you cant craft it without stun baton parts.

What if when you perk into stun baton you get some parts as a reward so you craft one right away?

You are comparing a high tech weapon with stone crap its not even on the same level. I find them all the time and sell them/scrap them. Right now it scales enough to not need a tier 3 version, same with junk turret, but we could add more down the road so there is a deeper loot game to it.

I find 20 or 30 of them in a 100 hour game, so there is no luck involved, its inevitable. Even if you rushed to int 6 and bought rank 1 I'd suspect you would have found one anyway. Perhaps we could let int players craft junk turret parts from mech parts or find a schematic for parts so players can make them from boatloads of mech parts they have but only with perk/schematic. I'd like to see a few weeks of feedback before jumping to conclusions though.

You are comparing a high tech weapon with stone crap its not even on the same level. I find them all the time and sell them/scrap them. Right now it scales enough to not need a tier 3 version, same with junk turret, but we could add more down the road so there is a deeper loot game to it.

I find 20 or 30 of them in a 100 hour game, so there is no luck involved, its inevitable. Even if you rushed to int 6 and bought rank 1 I'd suspect you would have found one anyway. Perhaps we could let int players craft junk turret parts from mech parts or find a schematic for parts so players can make them from boatloads of mech parts they have but only with perk/schematic. I'd like to see a few weeks of feedback before jumping to conclusions though.

uga boga

need stone club then spear then me eat screamer , then me live in tree me hunt moles then me eat again

I want to hear about your birthday streamer party. How did it go and whom did you watch? I thought about you last night while I was visiting different streams.

We watched Danu_Thuata, an austrian streamer. I was surprised how long the game stayed the topic of our conversation even though only 3 of us were playing the game. Half of the party guests were watching the stream all evening (well, once the stream had started). Naturally it could have just been because there was no alternative :cocksure:

I assume you've seen the pictures I posted a few hours before? It was a nice party and the experiment went well. Though aside from such an event I still see no reason to watch streamers.

Still... low tier canned food has no chance to get infected BUT level 5 iron gut with THE MOST EXPENSIVE FOODS in the game and you still got a chance to get infected? Is that alright? Not it is not. Not on paper nor gameplay wise. Bumb up the big food's requirements and delete their chance to infect. Tweak the most expensive food tipes and make an equivalent to "Mineral water" but in food, plz.

Late game food = Expensive but no chance to get food poisoning.

Edit: By chance to get infected I meant Food Poisoning LOL.

Canned food is expensive. Iron gut removes the chance for it 100% except for rotten flesh and nasty stuff, but all the cooked meals will have 0% chance with iron gut maxed out. I eat that crap all the time with no iron gut and never throw up. Needs bumped up if anything but we need to see how it plays out. No matter how much we raise it, iron gut will offset it, we'll raise it to keep up.

The better meals already have a lower chance because you eat less. Even if everything is 4%, If you eat 10 5 calories meals its overall a higher chance than eating 1 50 calorie meals, because you are rolling the dice more frequently.

if feel you and i understand however IMO wouldn't be better if they release it and let people go mad. they get on the forum's list the bugs IN my mind over 100 streamers can find some stuff but over 1000 people can probably find bugs , and glitch's faster.

but i may just be high off my ass idk

but at the same time the streamer have content and can get paid for it. anit nothing wrong with making money. same for TFP.

TL:DR

We are not getting the game later as others, the select streamers are more like part of a pre release test run.

Long version

The streamers have a big audience, the bugs seen by people watching the streams are commented about in the streams, then get confirmed and reported and possibly even directly fixed.

Sending it out to gamers wanting their fix, they are much less likely to document a bug and report it, that sounds like a bad deal for the company, because our general gamer wouldn't take into consideration that they are playing a release candidate for an experimental of an alpha build in early access and go rampage on steam about it, even if they nicked of the disclaimers. Did I get all the buzzwords? :)

The normal release is on Monday. Streamers get it early as a closed beta, pre release test run kinda deal.

We'll be getting a more polished version on Monday, one we might actually be able to set up a server with that will last until the first patch, or even beyond.

Sounds good to me ;)

This is all meant to sound friendly, and is only supposed to be my opinion, nothing more. Just to be safe :)

TL:DR

We are not getting the game later as others, the select streamers are more like part of a pre release test run.

Long version

The streamers have a big audience, the bugs seen by people watching the streams are commented about in the streams, then get confirmed and reported and possibly even directly fixed.

Sending it out to gamers wanting their fix, they are much less likely to document a bug and report it, that sounds like a bad deal for the company, because our general gamer wouldn't take into consideration that they are playing a release candidate for an experimental of an alpha build in early access and go rampage on steam about it, even if they nicked of the disclaimers. Did I get all the buzzwords? :)

The normal release is on Monday. Streamers get it early as a closed beta, pre release test run kinda deal.

We'll be getting a more polished version on Monday, one we might actually be able to set up a server with that will last until the first patch, or even beyond.

Sounds good to me ;)

This is all meant to sound friendly, and is only supposed to be my opinion, nothing more. Just to be safe :)

that is true. i think i got hype syndrome lol

all i want is to be a true caveman with my spear and sleigh hammer

You must take into account that nothing is expensive when comes the late game.

Incorrect, the traders wares keep me broke all the time late game. Once you feel like you aren't saving for that big vehicle drop any more, you start blowing money on concrete, bullets, bullet supplies, cement, every book you haven't read yet, mods you want, etc. A rare pink gun can take 8k.

Archived