Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

@MM, I have already done two streams and here are some comments:

- You need to balance the Insane mode. With a stone spear you can beat a zombie for a very long time until he dies, even a knife copes better.

- POISONING! Poisoning is cool, but ... We always have the same effect with any poisoning. Maybe it is worth adding the random value of reducing food? Or maybe the power of poisoning can depend on the satiety of food? Now it looks very strange when you got poisoned with one boiled egg or a whole portion of soup, you still lose 50% of the food.

@MM, I have already done two streams and here are some comments:

- You need to balance the Insane mode. With a stone spear you can beat a zombie for a very long time until he dies, even a knife copes better.

- POISONING! Poisoning is cool, but ... We always have the same effect with any poisoning. Maybe it is worth adding the random value of reducing food? Or maybe the power of poisoning can depend on the satiety of food? Now it looks very strange when you got poisoned with one boiled egg or a whole portion of soup, you still lose 50% of the food.

yeah i think can foods should give you food positioning too. but not as much, however meals that take more to craft should give little to no food poising

Its going to be Monday, we're fixing various issues that have cropped up.

FINE. (I'm late putting up the Halloween stuff anyway. 6 hours later, and I have most of the outdoor stuff at least out. I still need to run more electric cords.

We haven't even gotten out the indoor stuff yet, either!

FINE. (I'm late putting up the Halloween stuff anyway. 6 hours later, and I have most of the outdoor stuff at least out. I still need to run more electric cords.

We haven't even gotten out the indoor stuff yet, either!

i would rather do that and go to school!

plus all i put up is a pumpkin . not really a festive person lol

Will 7DtD go on sale the Monday(tomorrow) the new alpha is out? I thought I heard that being the case with previous alphas but wanted to check in case it was just wishful thinking on my part. Got two friends that are considering picking the game up.

Even at regular price, it's one of the best value games out there. My wife and myself easily have more than 2200 hours each, and at $20 a pop, that a fraction of the cost 0er hour of a was game.

And we can't WAIT to start up a new playthrough of a18.

They've given us SO much enjoyment that if there was a patreon for a a18 celebration party we would happily chip in.

I hate dlc because I'm cheap, yet I'd gladly chip in on a alpha release party.

Go figger.

i would rather do that and go to school!

plus all i put up is a pumpkin . not really a festive person lol

He'll, we have half a dozen 12 ft inflatables, 20 artificial Jack's, skeletons, spiders, both a 8 foot Slimer and a 12 foot stay puft inflatable, and even a life sized Ghostbusters Slimer prop replica!

And that's not counting the 8 tubs of indoor decorations!

Thing is, we are losing our traditional heritage in the US, and we aren't giving up traditional Halloween without a fight!

He'll, we have half a dozen 12 ft inflatables, 20 artificial Jack's, skeletons, spiders, both a 8 foot Slimer and a 12 foot stay puft inflatable, and even a life sized Ghostbusters Slimer prop replica!

And that's not counting the 8 tubs of indoor decorations!

Thing is, we are losing our traditional heritage in the US, and we aren't giving up traditional Halloween without a fight!

yeah but my area has a bunch of kids that break props so we stopped. and if those dumb ass kids kept doing it my mom would probably in prison. but we do decorate indoors and in the back yard lol

Now it looks very strange when you got poisoned with one boiled egg or a whole portion of soup, you still lose 50% of the food.

You mean you only lose 50% of the food value of the food you actually ate that made you sick, or 50% of your stomach contents ? (the latter of which I would find to be much more appropriate)

Google anything about streamers playing updates/games first, good for $$$ and bad for PR, wish devs moved away from this type of $ first behavior. Could of thrown us a bone and released it idk this morning... You have already let the streamers play 48 hours i would think that's more then fair but whatever. Micro-transactions probably on the way at this rate.

You mean you only lose 50% of the food value of the food you actually ate that made you sick, or 50% of your stomach contents ? (the latter of which I would find to be much more appropriate)

Honestly I think it is far too forgiving. Almost a 1 puke and done thing, which is not food poisoning. Food poisoning should take a day or two (maybe random # gen 12-48 in game hours) With every couple hours in game you puke up whatever is in your stomach still until its almost empty and you have to fill it back up. Maybe knock it back a bit with some type of tea or medicine. In 7D2D Food Poisoning even in the first week is fairly annoying. But...

In the real world, Food poisoning can actually flat out kill the weak/elderly/young/immune deficient.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/5/5/99-0502_article

Honestly I think TFP is being waaaay to nice about food poisoning. I think they are right on the money about the rarity, but it should strike fear when it hits people. It should scare people into getting Iron Gut after it hits them once or twice.

As far as I understand, I lose 50% of the total volume, or 50% of the current filling of the stomach (I’m not sure here), regardless of what I ate.

yeah i think can foods should give you food positioning too. but not as much, however meals that take more to craft should give little to no food poising

I can be poisoned by an egg, but I will not be poisoned as badly as if I had eaten a whole portion of poisoned stew.

Google anything about streamers playing updates/games first, good for $$$ and bad for PR, wish devs moved away from this type of $ first behavior. Could of thrown us a bone and released it idk this morning... You have already let the streamers play 48 hours i would think that's more then fair but whatever. Micro-transactions probably on the way at this rate.

i dont really know how good it is for money

i was on a discord with 7 people 2 did not have the game and when they found out streamers got the build for a entire weekend before everyone else they said they will not buy it

agree, exept bottled water. if you boil murky piss (water) from toilet, it becomes botled water and that should not make you sick. bacon and eggs 3 days old makes you sick for sure.

Boiling turds don't make them less toxic. Teas/coffee are 100% safe to drink.

I just watched Grumbles day 14 stream, and saw that as well. The other thing of note is I thought bms were changed to a drip feed after the bm hoard had been completed? In Grumble's video, he hit like 2am and was done with only a bow. (Granted it was just day 14 and I think he only had 8 alive on, and IMHO Joel's night 48 with 12 or 16 max alive looked a LOT more threatening.)

The only other thing I saw was some noob players like Pokket having a bit of trouble finding the spear after throwing it in shadows.

Maybe the spear could not be affected by shadows if not held to make it easier for them? (Or maybe a book or perk could add that effect?)

There's an enchantment with levels in Minecraft on the trident called loyalty that makes it boomerang back with different shorter delay speeds at higher levels that might add more fun to spear toss use, though unrealistic.

I can imagine someone using the boomerang spear effect at a distance on a BM horde night, for example.

There is no drip feed, but at later game stages there is no way you will kill every zombie before 4am.

I can be poisoned by an egg, but I will not be poisoned as badly as if I had eaten a whole portion of poisoned stew.

I know it is way more of a headache than TFP's programmers ever want to deal with but it should honestly be scaled based on what gave you the poisoning. Salmonella (eggs, poultry, reptiles) should be very annoying and cause a days worth of suffering and food loss.

However.

Botulism (canned food, improperly cleaned food) should be downright life threatening. On horde night it would be a run ender, you would probably need a bud to keep you safe while you tried to just stay alive getting it out of your system.

But the system is simple and not too annoying to keep from wrecking the fun of the average survival player. Hardcore players could use some harshness though.

Ahh okay. I thought Joel said he nerfed the amount of gas you get from cars in A18, but maybe I was mistaken. (Still, I find it a bit odd you can get that amount in with a pickaxe, as well as engines and batteries with a pickaxe, but *shrugs*.)

Looking into it, should only get it with a wrench.

Feedback so far.

Brawler feels weak. Might just need to perk up or get used to it but atm I find it pretty hard to use.

Spears on the other hand with zero perks or skill are AWESOME!

Looting so so damn fun I have done zero building so far.

Junk turrets are great.

All the added info the game tells you now is FANTASTIC!

I can turn shadows on and the framerate is good. That's HUGE!

Now back to play the best alpha to date. Kudos fun pimps.

Once you get enough ranks of fortitude the heads start popping. Power attacks are cheap too so you can do multiple power attacks repeatedly. Stack with beer. Thanks Kage glad you are loving it!

And this is probably the best argument against *how* they do streamer weekend...

People have jobs, go to school, so by releasing on Monday you're really saying "y'all masses don't get to play until next weekend... sure, you can load it up for a few minutes to check it out but your real time is still a week away".

Streamer "weekends" could be moved up a day, and maybe if it looks good enough, release to the masses on Sunday...

We work hard enough. Monday is good for us. You guys have the rest of your life to play.

I agree. But you didn't get 500 gas from cars in A17 (nowhere near that, to be honest); now in A18, every car is basically a gas barrel. :p I mean, maybe I'm wrong and it's perfectly balanced, or maybe this is a bug. :p

Let me put it this way, if you don't to harvesting cars every other night you WILL be walking until you get the cas can recipe and start cooking your own from shale. You get 50-450 gas, which is nothing. Minibike eats 1000 a day roughly.

Archived