Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Playing AGAINST you, I'd agree. Playing on the same SERVER as you, it's none of your business.

No it definatly is. If I play a survival server and I see people not taking survival serious it ruins the game.

I am not blaming the guy doing it. I blame the guys balancing it.

Same as with hordenightescape. If you play without hordenight on your own server sure. But if I play on a server WITH hordenights, I don't want others to simply avoid hordenight Willy-nilly. Because I feel like I am doing extra work for no payoff. But not doing it means ruining the survival experience.

Same with deaths. The main objective of this mode is survival. Therefor if someone comes around, doesnt take it serious, just offing himself and even GETS A BONUS (aka no broken leg but no other penalty/marginal punishment), it completely negates the struggle for survival.

If he wants to off himself and have -200%xp I am fine with that. THIS is his fun and he can do whatever.

But (as an example) if he gets 2000dukes every time he kills himself, the "survival" aspect and immersion of the struggle to do so would be completely gone.

The argument was "I like harder penalties to disinsentivise people killing themselves for a benefit".

But it goes with everything. Devs SHOULD try and incentivise people to behave "realistic/immersive". Otherwise you end up like an mmorpg with people just trolling jumping everywhere. Which is fine in certain games, but you do not want to have a gritty "survival of the fittest wasteland of doom" to have people jump off cliffs for fun and be rewarded for it.

I do not want to forbid other people their fun. I really don't.

No it definatly is. If I play a survival server and I see people not taking survival serious it ruins the game.

I am not blaming the guy doing it. I blame the guys balancing it.

Same as with hordenightescape. If you play without hordenight on your own server sure. But if I play on a server WITH hordenights, I don't want others to simply avoid hordenight Willy-nilly. Because I feel like I am doing extra work for no payoff. But not doing it means ruining the survival experience.

Same with deaths. The main objective of this mode is survival. Therefor if someone comes around, doesnt take it serious, just offing himself and even GETS A BONUS (aka no broken leg but no other penalty/marginal punishment), it completely negates the struggle for survival.

If he wants to off himself and have -200%xp I am fine with that. THIS is his fun and he can do whatever.

But (as an example) if he gets 2000dukes every time he kills himself, the "survival" aspect and immersion of the struggle to do so would be completely gone.

The argument was "I like harder penalties to disinsentivise people killing themselves for a benefit".

But it goes with everything. Devs SHOULD try and incentivise people to behave "realistic/immersive". Otherwise you end up like an mmorpg with people just trolling jumping everywhere. Which is fine in certain games, but you do not want to have a gritty "survival of the fittest wasteland of doom" to have people jump off cliffs for fun and be rewarded for it.

I do not want to forbid other people their fun. I really don't.

None of those things affect YOU.

If someone logs off for a hordenight, it doesn't send their zombies your way. You're not doing extra work.

If someone eats glass to get rid of a broken leg, it doesn't affect YOUR gameplay.

None of your examples affect YOUR game, just your mental state.

Look, I'm perfectly fine with a death penalty, it's a good mechanic for a survival game that otherwise had nothing to keep ME from taking the easy way out; I like that challenge, for myself. But I'm not in favor of arguments that are based solely on how other people play. That's all I'm saying.

Megalith is pointing out that with NDT the player was actually weaker for 30 minutes after respawning so they REALLY needed to be careful until the penalty timed out. Players instinctively grokked this which is why they would sit in base AFK tonwait it out before venturing back into the world.

This new penalty only delays the next level up event which keeps gamestage lower which means that the player is the same strength or even stronger (say you find a nice piece of armor 2 minutes after respawn). Since there has been no change to the player in a detrimental way there is no actual reason for the player to get back out there going solo in a POI. In fact, there might be greater incentive to...uh...erase some of the red from their ledger.

#scarletjohansonisagoddess

I would have said you hit the nail on the head, but your misspelling of my name totally ruined it :cocksure:

Though the hashtag is well received.

(And a small correction: Probably you wanted to say "there is no actual reason for the player to not get back out there going solo in a POI")

Deleted

...was wondering what you were talking about; fyi you can just edit your message by quoting what you wanted to quote, go back to this edit, and add the quote there.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have said you hit the nail on the head, but your misspelling of my name totally ruined it :cocksure:

Yeh I'm thinking he's on his phone and autocorrect got him.

...was wondering what you were talking about; fyi you can just edit your message by quoting what you wanted to quote, go back to this edit, and add the quote there.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeh I'm thinking he's on his phone and autocorrect got him.

Well, maybe I need a second name to create fake discussions I would be sure to win :cocksure:

Megalith: "Beer should be free in this game"

Meganoth: "Begone, foul spirit of alcoholism. We have to think of the children"

If someone logs off for a hordenight, it doesn't send their zombies your way. You're not doing extra work.

If someone eats glass to get rid of a broken leg, it doesn't affect YOUR gameplay.

Look, I'm perfectly fine with a death penalty, it's a good mechanic for a survival game that otherwise had nothing to keep ME from taking the easy way out; I like that challenge, for myself. But I'm not in favor of arguments that are based solely on how other people play. That's all I'm saying.

Back to serious argument.

I have to agree with Vic on the general principle: Nobody can guarantee that he never will have a conflict with that other player (on a PvP server). And as soon as that happens he sure would like there to be an equal playing field.

But the question in the case of broken legs is whether dying is really an advantage. In most cases I would say that that player is gimping himself by doing this even without a death penalty.

In case of horde night avoidance it is much clearer. It is an advantage to avoid it. Sadly for real-life reasons that advantage will always be there.

Well, maybe I need a second name to create fake discussions I would be sure to win :cocksure:

Megalith: "Beer should be free in this game"

Meganoth: "Begone, foul spirit of alcoholism. We have to think of the children"

Back to serious argument.

I have to agree with Vic on the general principle: Nobody can guarantee that he never will have a conflict with that other player (on a PvP server). And as soon as that happens he sure would like there to be an equal playing field.

But the question in the case of broken legs is whether dying is really an advantage. In most cases I would say that that player is gimping himself by doing this even without a death penalty.

In case of horde night avoidance it is much clearer. It is an advantage to avoid it. Sadly for real-life reasons that advantage will always be there.

Well I certainly agree with him on PvP as previously stated, but on a regular non PvP server who gives a crap.

It's not that the argument completely doesn't work, though. For example:

A new bug surfaced in A18 which gives you the highest level in the game by pressing Y. You won't ever use it because of your principles. Other people will use it and advocate that it should be kept in the game to allow people to play how they want, but you want to report it because it's gamebreaking.

Can there be something changed how landclaimblocks work in a sologame?

I can understand why it works like it does in MP games, but in solo it's just annoying.

When you have multiple places and/or a base bigger then the bounderies, and you want to move stuff around, you need to keep moving the landclaimblock.

Well I certainly agree with him on PvP as previously stated, but on a regular non PvP server who gives a crap.

Right. Although (on second thought) in MMO-terms there was a third category of servers (at least in the case of Word of Warcraft), the roleplay servers. Where it was enforced that people were not doing out-of-character stuff that was breaking immersion. I can accept that someone may want to play on such servers, It would be up to the server owner to enforce this or not.

For the developers anything that keeps players from stepping out-of-character is generally a good thing. Even for a sandbox.

Though the hashtag is well received.

(And a small correction: Probably you wanted to say "there is no actual reason for the player to not get back out there going solo in a POI")

Autocorrect on my phone paired with my wife calling me over NOW to wash dishes (camping at Pismo Beach). Usually I check back over my phone posts but my thinking about Scarlett put just enough guilt into me that I jumped when my wife called.

I get that, they're just up there in age so the game is hard for them in general even though they love playing it. They'll likely keep dying and rarely level up lol. Not asking to change it btw I think it's a good change for most of the player base. There's an exp slider now right? I can probably just have them pump that up to help counter it.

It could also be seen as a benefit in this case though. Unless it has changed, the gamestage calculation involves your player level. By dying with this xp penalty, it should keep your gamestage lower for longer. This means the zombies difficulty goes up slower.

Meanwhile you focus on finding books to enhance your character instead of the perk points from leveling.

Meanwhile you focus on finding books to enhance your character instead of the perk points from leveling.

I'm definitely looking forward to the books. Finally you have again a reason to visit the Crack a Book tower if you have it on your map.

Archived