Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

New exp death penalty.

Ya know what. After thinking about it more, Madmole talking about how slow the leveling is. I'm calling it today, aug 7th.

This will be nerfed, put into an option or removed.

I'm sure people will have to edit it in the XML file. just like with NDT (Near Death Trauma). There needs to be a penalty to dying. its a survival game and people use dying to get around "annoying" mechanics because they know that if they kill themselves that they will be back to their old self with out the annoying 10-30 min debuff.

A 25% xp "tax" per death is a good one. it can easily be off set by the XP modifier slider. So idk why people are crying about it. go play creative mode if you don't like survival and the consequence of dying.

It also promotes teaming up with someone in a MP CoOp or PvP games for a small amount of time, if you happen to have died. Just be the back up, not the lead, and get that group xp.

Along with: They can also just do less dangerous stuff for awhile. Like: chopping down trees, busting boulders, mining, crafting, and so on.

Stuff you would end up needing to do anyways.

Which also makes it fine for SP games.

imo at least.

That was the argument for the old death penalty debuff. With the new penalty playing safe for a while doesn't get you anything you won't also get any other time.

That was the argument for the old death penalty debuff. With the new penalty playing safe for a while doesn't get you anything you won't also get any other time.

If you can still gain xp while doing stuff... you are still gaining xp...

If you are still gaining xp while teamed up... you are still gaining xp...

Edit: both safer then looting prefabs solo..

edit2: And the old system did promote anything, because your stamina got chewed up, and you couldn't really do anything. This way you can still do everything as before.

Dude stop. There is a big difference when I haven't touched the software for a year and a half and I'm talking recording vs playing a legit game, and I've been in the trenches 5-8 hours a day for a few months. I am the 2nd fastest leveler on the team and it takes me nearly an hour to level.

It wasn't an insult on your playing ability (although maybe you don't want to watch my hitler vid), it was commentary that developers have different ideas of "take longer". You're dealing with players who have over 3k hours dedicated to cheating every system possible to achieve maximum results, playing for hundreds of days in a single game. Neither you nor your testers can hang against that. That's not a slam, just a fact.

People live and breathe to min-max this game, y'all play with either a goal in mind (test xyz) or with preconceptions of how you WANT the game to play.

It's really not an insult.

New exp death penalty.

Ya know what. After thinking about it more, Madmole talking about how slow the leveling is. I'm calling it today, aug 7th.

This will be nerfed, put into an option or removed.

Nah. There's an xp slider, so the death penalty can be adjusted to compensated the loss on death.

You mean playing becomes meaningless. SO yes, if playing is meaningless, so is death.

Who cares at the end? BUT, every second up to that, this penalty is worse the higher level you are. When it takes 6 hours to go from level 100 to 101 you just got set back pretty good.

#lovin'it

People are just tossing numbers around without context.

It's always just one bug. And another. And another.

Keep fixing them and you get... more bug tickets.

That's because you are at the end of a forwarding chain that always ends at your table:

Tester: "Artist, this poi breaks down when you enter the second floor"

Artist: "Not my fault, it is the SI"

Tester: "Ok, assigned to Gazz"

- - - Updated - - -

If you can still gain xp while doing stuff... you are still gaining xp...

If you are still gaining xp while teamed up... you are still gaining xp...

Edit: both safer then looting prefabs solo..

Exactly: Therefore you should do that all the time. Not just after dying.

Exactly: Therefore you should do that all the time. Not just after dying.

uh, thats what I said though.

And the old death penalty didn't promote anything, except chewing up your stamina, which means you couldn't do anything effectively. New system doesn't do that.

At least the way it is described atm.

And the old death penalty didn't promote anything, except chewing up your stamina, which means you couldn't do anything effectively. New system doesn't do that.

As long as leveling up truly is hard now, and as long as the gamestage balance is accurate, then this seems like an okay penalty. I keep waffling on it, I think I just need to play it. =)

As long as leveling up truly is hard now, and as long as the gamestage balance is accurate, then this seems like an okay penalty. I keep waffling on it, I think I just need to play it. =)

hehe, I doubt it will be balanced great in the beginning >.> They have a history of either going overboard or under :D

We'll see though..

Some people think of it as a penalty, I think of it as a bonus. It's all a matter of perception and goals.

There is not always an objective right and wrong.

People are just tossing numbers around without context.

It's always just one bug. And another. And another.

Keep fixing them and you get... more bug tickets.

Dear Gazz

Bugs are like WhackAmole. You just got to keep hitting them till they stop popping up.

Or until your arm falls off, which ever happens first. ;)

Respestfully

Sillls

No you didn't. You said: "It also promotes teaming up with someone in a MP CoOp or PvP games for a small amount of time, if you happen to have died". Clearly suggesting that after dying you should be more careful for a small amount of time. Which makes no sense.

At least the way it is described atm.

It did. You were weaker for a while (less damage, less stamina, less health,...), which really meant you would have to be (at least slightly) more careful until the debuff ran out.

No you didn't. You said: "It also promotes teaming up with someone in a MP CoOp or PvP games for a small amount of time, if you happen to have died". Clearly suggesting that after dying you should be more careful for a small amount of time. Which makes no sense.

Oh yes, it did. You were weaker for a while (less damage, less stamina, less health,...), which really meant you would have to be (at least slightly) more careful.

Dude, It makes perfect sense to team up with someone after you have died, till you can go out alone again and you worked through the penalty..And No it didn't, because you couldn't really last in the fight because your stamina would run out in no time flat..

but whatever...

Back to A18 Q/A

Any chance i can place multiple saved waypoints down quickly? And also instantly share said waypoints with allies.

cycling around looking for concrete to pick up but im kinda just scouting i wanna be able to quickly place a waypoint down and share it with me ally. so they can come around after me and pick it up.

It would be nice to do so without having to open the map up. like press a button and it marks your location on the map.

any thoughts on this?

@DaVega... i have one hell of a hard head... threats with rocks mean very little to me... back in my day when a kid on the farm... we played army with stones by really throwing them at each other.... so yeah we played with a lot of rocks because we had no 7dtd back then.. :)

No worries, i still plays with rocks!

Dude, It makes perfect sense to team up with someone after you have died, till you can go out alone again and you worked through the penalty

Till you can go out alone again? Why can't you go out alone, you are not any weaker?

There is no change between before and after death, a bit less XP does not change your fighting abilities AT ALL. You don't go down one level, there is nothing to work off.

It did. You were weaker for a while (less damage, less stamina, less health,...), which really meant you would have to be (at least slightly) more careful until the debuff ran out.

I don't understand the arguments here.

Am I right in saying:

Tin is saying it's a better balanced death penalty because it hurts the higher level player enough to be an issue, whereas it doesn't affect the lower level player as much because they can still do what they did before, and could just hang out with others to gain their XP back more quickly

Meganoth is saying players should be careful all of the time.

...y'all aren't even having the same discussion.

Am I right in saying:

Tin is saying it's a better balanced death penalty because it hurts the higher level player enough to be an issue, whereas it doesn't affect the lower level player as much because they can still do what they did before, and could just hang out with others to gain their XP back more quickly

Meganoth is saying players should be careful all of the time.

It isn't worth continuing the discussion, that is where you are right.

Think we see the same thing lol

Actually they are talking about the same thing by using the same kind of examples but what they are trying to get at are 2 different things.

If we are reading it right, I was actually seeing how long it take them to figure it out. Lol

Think we see the same thing lol

Actually they are talking about the same thing by using the same kind of examples but what they are trying to get at are 2 different things.

If we are reading it right, I was actually seeing how long it take them to figure it out. Lol

Nope, still not seeing it. I just give up trying to understand Tin's argument. Maybe there is still some english lingo I don't grasp.

Bottom line is I'm very flip floppy when it comes to this death penalty... is it enough, is it too much, I really won't know until we see how long it actually takes to level up. If it REALLY takes 6 hours to level from 100 to 101, I'm gonna be pissed if I die, and it's too much. If it's as easy as spending some time with others to level up more quickly and there are zero other negative effects other than leveling, then it's not even worth coding this in.

At what level is a character capped out and can buy all the important perks, what does the relationship curve between levels and required XP to level, are gamestages actually balanced, is the glowing red bar obtrusive on the screen, is there a significant difference between SP and MP play... these are all things that I'd need to know in order to form an actual opinion instead of conjecture.

Till you can go out alone again? Why can't you go out alone, you are not any weaker?

There is no change between before or after death, a bit less XP does not change your fighting abilities AT ALL. You don't go down one level, there is nothing to work off.

Well at least I know where your disconnect is. Old death penalty/compared to the New death penalty.

Old: You are Weaker. Less actions you can do because of the stamina drain increase which equals: Weak and less damage output. Which is the most deadliest thing for lower level characters. Also, means less crap you can do throughout the day.

New: Doesn't mess with your stamina, so you can still play how your were, and still can run/melee and bust blocks like you did before, without worrying about you stamina being chewed up any faster.

Which means you can still team up with people, and they don't need to overcome your damage deficiency.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.. Im not going to sweat anymore either :D

Megalith is pointing out that with NDT the player was actually weaker for 30 minutes after respawning so they REALLY needed to be careful until the penalty timed out. Players instinctively grokked this which is why they would sit in base AFK tonwait it out before venturing back into the world.

This new penalty only delays the next level up event which keeps gamestage lower which means that the player is the same strength or even stronger (say you find a nice piece of armor 2 minutes after respawn). Since there has been no change to the player in a detrimental way there is no actual reason for the player to get back out there going solo in a POI. In fact, there might be greater incentive to...uh...erase some of the red from their ledger.

#scarletjohansonisagoddess

Archived