Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Unholy Joe

****What you wrote about automatic weapons and the combination of what Guppy was posting about

leaning to shoot or view, made me think of two possible mechanics.

****Included presently isa MOM squat button, and a toggle I/O squat button. What if the toggle

I/O moved between 3 positions standing/kneeling/prone. Prone is basically crawler or walk

type 4, so is available. The mom switch if in any positon can be the release to return

you to standing.

****For the automatic weapons, would it be hard codewise to have a 3 position switch,

single/semi 3 round burst/full auto.

****Each with 1 icon, represented by 3 colors, green yellow red. for progression.

****Playing and testing the Ak47 with the included recoil ingame, a three round burst has approx

the same result as a magnum hit.

Whatever the death panelty is, there will be people not caring at all and people getting heart attacks only thinking about it. Generally you are not supposed to like the death penalty anyway, so saying you don't like it may not be the best way to argue against it :cocksure:

If (as you claim) it's not a penalty in any way then it's clearly an utter failure as a "Death Penalty" mechanic, so I assume you'll be replacing it with a different mechanic that is an actual penalty, yes?

Perception visa reality. Isn't it wonderful that the player thinks he is penalized but really isn't?

Ideally players should not know about internal mechanisms like gamestage. Like knowledge about xp sources it is an incentive to play a meta-game instead of the game itself.

How do you come up with a negative 500 rounds? You can't fire what you don't have.

If i use 700 rounds and come out with 200 that's negative rounds. Main thing I need over all else is ammo. So doing a t5 tower is a 100% waste of time for me

Except for the fun factor. And they are fun.

I have also died several times when I wanted to get my backpack back. Extremely annoying. The best thing is to have a spare armor and a spare weapon ready in the base.

And learning to have a spare set ready would never happen if you didn't do that mistake at least once.

In previous alphas it was unfair because the difficulty was highly random, i.e. with bad luck you needed to make the death run at night. Now with a full day before the backpack despawns you always have a chance to prepare and go there at daylight.

With preparation (traps, a suitable weapon and ammo) there is no place in the current game that would make a corpse run more dangerous than the event that resulted in your death. Because now you know what you have to expect.

If i use 700 rounds and come out with 200 that's negative rounds. Main thing I need over all else is ammo. So doing a t5 tower is a 100% waste of time for me

Except for the fun factor. And they are fun.

Fun factor. Yes, this. Do you really feel that you should always end up ahead after every POI? You're trading your stock and time for the chance of some cool new stuff or for routine loot you may require. You gain xp for everything while clearing it and get to enjoy the game and the neat level design. If it costs some ammo, what is the big deal exactly? The towers you keep bringing up are not the only to acquire ammo now or in the upcoming update. Now that we can harvest brass from more sources, you may end up spending 500 bullets, but gaining the brass to remake them. Is the fact that you have to mine the other components unfair?

I am a little disappointed they are making an effort to make these somehow ammo-neutral. I like the variety that arises from random loot sometimes not paying off. It's the apocalypse and the ruins we scour are presumably already picked through a bit by other survivors. Guaranteed loot with no cost other than a little time sounds like creative mode to me.

...until you reach the stage where you die at least once per day and never make progress again.

Death penalties should slow progress, but they should never completely block it or reverse it (not in this type of game, anyway).

You have to die 4 times a day to halt progression at the rate we were told. If you get killed 4 times a day, shouldn't you lower your game difficulty instead?

Fun factor. Yes, this. Do you really feel that you should always end up ahead after every POI? You're trading your stock and time for the chance of some cool new stuff or for routine loot you may require. You gain xp for everything while clearing it and get to enjoy the game and the neat level design. If it costs some ammo, what is the big deal exactly? The towers you keep bringing up are not the only to acquire ammo now or in the upcoming update. Now that we can harvest brass from more sources, you may end up spending 500 bullets, but gaining the brass to remake them. Is the fact that you have to mine the other components unfair?

I am a little disappointed they are making an effort to make these somehow ammo-neutral. I like the variety that arises from random loot sometimes not paying off. It's the apocalypse and the ruins we scour are presumably already picked through a bit by other survivors. Guaranteed loot with no cost other than a little time sounds like creative mode to me.

I'm only speaking of alpha 17 in the Hope's TFP will address these issues. And thank god they seem to be doing that.

As for the towers being fun it's a good point. But its not enough. Theres no unique loot in the towers I cant get in much easier pois, without wasting ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont like or dislike like it. But for me personally it feels like a waste of programming time, since i play dead is dead.

Well I cant fault you for favoring more time spent of things that will actually effect your game.

I'm only speaking of alpha 17 in the Hope's TFP will address these issues. And thank god they seem to be doing that.

As for the towers being fun it's a good point. But its not enough. Theres no unique loot in the towers I cant get in much easier pois, without wasting ammo.

Yeah I guess once you've seen them once, the exploration fun factor no longer exists and it's just the same challenge your game stage presents elsewhere, but longer. I think you're right about the changes you mentioned being a general improvement or progress towards some good balance.(such as being able to accept lower level quests, etc) You stream, right? Do you tend to restart once you get to later levels and your audience has seen everything on that playthrough?

hi roland. i have a suggestion. usually glass is broken and after that is very little used for another thing than the player killing himself. then why not using it for traps? i mean creating traps based on broken glass, exploding and releasing glass shards all over the place, and possibly making zeds some bleeding damage and/or common damage. however, knowing that it would be very used, can be made as a late-game trap, per example.

what do you think about it? :D

Spreading it on the ground probably wouldn’t work but maybe using it as an upgrade material for blocks so that zombie take damage as they give damage might be cool.

You can throw broken glass into your forge to use it for making bottles.

Archived