Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

The system is fine.

It affects the higher level players the most. One stupid mistake, and they need to spend a whole lot more time just to break even, so they can start leveling again.

It also promotes teaming up with someone in a MP CoOp or PvP games for a small amount of time, if you happen to have died. Just be the back up, not the lead, and get that group xp.

Along with: They can also just do less dangerous stuff for awhile. Like: chopping down trees, busting boulders, mining, crafting, and so on.

Stuff you would end up needing to do anyways.

Which also makes it fine for SP games.

imo at least.

Even so, I mean you would be at risk at all times, I wouldn't adjust my play style at all. I mean sure if your close to leveling and it was a 5 hour grind maybe I'd stay home and mine that day lol but I don't see myself adjusting my play style around the penalty, I'll just play smarter which is what we all do anyway when we get rekt I think. I only die when I take unneeded risks.

It wasn't an insult on your playing ability (although maybe you don't want to watch my hitler vid), it was commentary that developers have different ideas of "take longer". You're dealing with players who have over 3k hours dedicated to cheating every system possible to achieve maximum results, playing for hundreds of days in a single game. Neither you nor your testers can hang against that. That's not a slam, just a fact.

People live and breathe to min-max this game, y'all play with either a goal in mind (test xyz) or with preconceptions of how you WANT the game to play.

It's really not an insult.

We can't stop min maxers from doing what they do. Loved your video.

You savage...

What can I say? I still live in the stone age..

- - - Updated - - -

Or...replace the humanity with an army of rocks??????????

*must.. not.. reply..*

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, that only happens when DaVegaNL becomes sentient.

Warning: Don't feed the D.

Lol. According to my wife I still have to grow up.. being sentient is the step after that I believe.

Bottom line is I'm very flip floppy when it comes to this death penalty... is it enough, is it too much, I really won't know until we see how long it actually takes to level up. If it REALLY takes 6 hours to level from 100 to 101, I'm gonna be pissed if I die, and it's too much. If it's as easy as spending some time with others to level up more quickly and there are zero other negative effects other than leveling, then it's not even worth coding this in.

At what level is a character capped out and can buy all the important perks, what does the relationship curve between levels and required XP to level, are gamestages actually balanced, is the glowing red bar obtrusive on the screen, is there a significant difference between SP and MP play... these are all things that I'd need to know in order to form an actual opinion instead of conjecture.

We talked about capping the XP needed to the next level once it feels too grindy to level further. We haven't established that yet. I can say though, at level 100, I would be starting a new character, I don't need that many perks to be awesome because I specialize and with schematics to find you just don't need every perk under the sun any more just to feel fleshed out. At level 40 I feel like I do in Fallout or Skyrim now at level 40. Pretty stacked and I earned it, and there isn't much more I really need now from the perk menu, but a ton of loot I need yet to be fully stacked. Like I have Rank 4 of automatic weapons and a really nice Ak so its like 80 damage per shot before bonuses, so I shred hordes with it as long as I have ammo.

None of those things affect YOU.

If someone logs off for a hordenight, it doesn't send their zombies your way. You're not doing extra work.

If someone eats glass to get rid of a broken leg, it doesn't affect YOUR gameplay.

None of your examples affect YOUR game, just your mental state.

Look, I'm perfectly fine with a death penalty, it's a good mechanic for a survival game that otherwise had nothing to keep ME from taking the easy way out; I like that challenge, for myself. But I'm not in favor of arguments that are based solely on how other people play. That's all I'm saying.

It does affect you. I love Skyrim but ESO you have all this immersion breaking stuff like mobs standing in towns (in skyrim if a mob goes near a city the guards kill it), and people talking with their 12 year old voices instead of professional voice actors and it kills the vibe and feeling a game could otherwise instill in a player.

I get your point too, but if you play MP then other peoples behavior does influence the vibe of the game. We don't see people bunny hopping because there is a cost to it. I think we'll see less suicide because now there is a cost to death, and they can't really complain they are gimped because they aren't. They just need to know they risk their progression. That already happens every second in ARK and RUST where you die and lose your stuff in pvp, and in 7 days pvp. So I don't think the new penalty is bad in any way but obviously lots of people will hate it, just like the last two death penalties we tried.

Can there be something changed how landclaimblocks work in a sologame?

I can understand why it works like it does in MP games, but in solo it's just annoying.

When you have multiple places and/or a base bigger then the bounderies, and you want to move stuff around, you need to keep moving the landclaimblock.

Its more efficient to not have any differences between modes so if people jump from SP to MP they have no new concepts to learn.

Video for hump day?

Also, what has been your favorite spec so far?

No I had too many bugs. Its down to 2 now so I can relax and make a video tomorrow probably.

Its hard to say, they are all really good. Fortitude is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Strength was pretty great because I like mining in general, and agility was a lot different using light armor, hand guns and sneaking. I didn't bother with bows because I found a pistol silencer early on.

The awesome thing is there are two more builds to try :) But I'm taking this fort guy as deep as I can to feel the late game once and for all and to get electricity a good workout.

We talked about capping the XP needed to the next level once it feels too grindy to level further. We haven't established that yet. I can say though, at level 100, I would be starting a new character, I don't need that many perks to be awesome because I specialize and with schematics to find you just don't need every perk under the sun any more just to feel fleshed out. At level 40 I feel like I do in Fallout or Skyrim now at level 40. Pretty stacked and I earned it, and there isn't much more I really need now from the perk menu, but a ton of loot I need yet to be fully stacked. Like I have Rank 4 of automatic weapons and a really nice Ak so its like 80 damage per shot before bonuses, so I shred hordes with it as long as I have ammo.

DnD caps it after a certain point. Can't go wrong with gygax. :)

No (in fact, I just logged off of playing A17 twenty minutes ago), I was just making a general response that I prefer singleplayer over multiplayer. Yes, days don't matter anymore, I just enjoy a natural sense of progression instead of staying off for a few days and then being handed better gear (steel tools, etc.) since I would still be on iron. No, I don't have to accept such requests, I just like having a little bit of control on my worlds. :p But maybe I'll try multiplayer again sometime, who knows?

I'm not getting wth you're talking about here. Why would you suddenly be handed better gear by staying off for a few days. Loot is not based on the day. it is based on YOUR gamestage which take into account your days alive, not what server day count is. What day it is does not matter.

if it is, then its hidden damn good as its not in the change logs and not in xmls. and we are not at end game just yet unless i missed the ending again. i gotta stop napping during the meetings. :)

Drink more Dr. Pepper, you'll stay awake. lol

I know its a lot to ask... but you seem to misunderstand what I mean... so could you watch those 12 minutes? Or at least parts of it? Because this is something I often find lacking in 7d2d.

Reward vs punishment.

In short:

now:

100% xp -25% xp on death

my method:

75% +25% after not dying for a certain amount of time

in the end it is the same number, but it FEELS different. Because instead of beeing punished for dying, you are rewarded for NOT dying.

I would love if you watch that vid... but if not I hope you still got what I meant.

(if you are really short on time start here

but I would encourage you to watch the whole thing)

Its literally the same thing you are proposing, except instead of earning it over time without dying we are giving it to you for free up front and you re-earn it if you die. The bonus is not having any xp taken away. At the end of the day your method delivers shaky XP numbers and will lead to some min maxing style.

There are things that boost XP, like doing quests give you free xp. Drink some Grandpas learn'n elixer and get a huge boost, put on some nerd goggles. I'm old school and feel like punishment is good. I'm not a fan of participation trophies. You got rekt, deal with it. If you don't like it, don't die next time. If the feature is a bomb we'll go back to the drawing board or cut it. On paper it is appealing to us, end of discussion. Until 18 hits the streets no amount of talk will change it.

now:

100% xp -25% xp on death

my method:

75% +25% after not dying for a certain amount of time

It sounds like you believe the 25% penalty is applied to XP gains after death, that is not the case. It's a loss of already gained XP, that is all. An action that gives you 20XP before dying will still give you 20XP after dying. If you had, for example, 50% of the XP needed to advance to the next level, and you die, you are now only 25% of the way to the next level.

Also, it's been stated that 25% was the value when Madmole posted, and it's not that any more. They're still trying out values for the penalty to see what feels right.

Would you consider bringing back the 50% health and stamina penalty as well? For health it could just be the temporary damage so that all you need to do is spend food to get both stamina and health back to full.

With no spoilage we need food sinks such as this. Plus Vik would be happy because full health and stamina (even up to approx 150%) by surviving well is a reward and then that would be taken away down to 50%.

We had this in the game for years and it’s been gone the last couple alphas but I feel it was also a good part of being “anti-rewarded” upon death. Bring it back and you’ll cover the nostalgics and the participation trophy folks at the same time. :)

I'll have to pay attention next time I die.

DnD caps it after a certain point. Can't go wrong with gygax. :)

Cool. Yeah we just haven't determined the point where it feels like its grindy to level yet. I'm level 41 at the end of day 36 so I think its perfect so far.

Archived