Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

I'm only speaking of alpha 17 in the Hope's TFP will address these issues. And thank god they seem to be doing that.

As for the towers being fun it's a good point. But its not enough. Theres no unique loot in the towers I cant get in much easier pois, without wasting ammo.

I think they are working on prerequisites. Didn't they hint at turrets up on the towers to prevent gyrocopter "exploits"? Once that is in the game the towers might be ready for better loot.

Yeah I guess once you've seen them once, the exploration fun factor no longer exists and it's just the same challenge your game stage presents elsewhere, but longer. I think you're right about the changes you mentioned being a general improvement or progress towards some good balance.(such as being able to accept lower level quests, etc) You stream, right? Do you tend to restart once you get to later levels and your audience has seen everything on that playthrough?

I have restarted multiple times on alpha 17. I play till it gets boring. Then I restart.

I try to mix it up too. Right now I have a horde every night series. Its really fun btw.

friendly challenge for Kage (or others if they wish)...

forget about A17 and what you used to do....

Welcome to A18, get yourself to an appropriate level (you'll know when it is if you're not dieing a lot) and get damn good gear and weapons, buy or find some useful mods and perk where the points will help you the most. have some food/water and firstaid with you... you most likely will find food on the way.

IF you go to a t5 poi and you're only ready for t2-3, then be prepared to fail. remember... gamestage will affect the types of zombies you meet and the loot.. BUT a t5 IS NOT MEANT for low level players or newbies... (that is not meant as an insult to anyone).

so my challenge is... do this and then let us know here in forum how you made out...

also... we testers have already and currently test this... also... we dont use external mods nor do we mod any xmls, our games are default.

now if you want fun and can manage it... then a team of 5 players will make a world of difference (if all are equal).

so again... actually look at this as a dare to actually enjoy it. :)

but the team does want to hear how the runs went.

Normally I’d feel bad about being spell shamed but since it’s Hitler’s title I mangled....

:-p

I think führer means leader in German. I'm not sure though. Any Germans to clarify? I want to make Roland look bad 1 time in my life before I die.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, that only happens when DaVegaNL becomes sentient.

Warning: Don't feed the D.

You're right, never feed the D, he gets rock hard.

If i use 700 rounds and come out with 200 that's negative rounds. Main thing I need over all else is ammo. So doing a t5 tower is a 100% waste of time for me

Except for the fun factor. And they are fun.

You come out with -500 rounds...

200.000 experience, chemicals, books, tools/rawmaterials, electronics, medicine, weapons, secret stash and all the other junk you desperately need.

Overall a netwin. Its not like ammo is the only ressource you need. IF it is, you are so far in the endgame, that this is a different problem (beeing no endgame until bandits and stuff and not enough electronics and stuff to build/advance to)

I was on day 90 and I still needed electric parts and mechanical parts to repair my electronics from that insane hordenight I just had. Maybe you play differently, but I always need more stuff that I can loot.

To be fair A17 wasn't all that great for looting (no books, weaponsparts/qualityreduction, weapons craftable) but A18 will be. And paying for stuff with ammo is intended. Either you are a sneak guy and do not profit from perks on hordenight but have 100s of rounds or you are a machinegun guy who needs ammo to loot better stuff and profits from perks but is always low on ammo.

Its a tradeoff.

- - - Updated - - -

I think führer means leader in German. I'm not sure though. Any Germans to clarify? I want to make Roland look bad 1 time in my life before I die.

Yes Hitlers title was "Der Führer" which is simply "the leader" but was not like a team captain, but more like a mother goose leading her ducklings who follow blindly :D

And for one more reason that I didn't mention: you can see through it. I have opted out of placing a drawbridge on a number of occasions because I didn't want to block my view. Would be great for that not to be a such a heavy deciding factor regarding placement anymore.

Maybe the drawbridge model could be redone with grate openings so you could shoot or see through it, like some of the metal building blocks?

Yes Hitlers title was "Der Führer" which is simply "the leader" but was not like a team captain, but more like a mother goose leading her ducklings who follow blindly :D

You know what that means Roland? It's time to update my forum reputation. Thank you.

You come out with -500 rounds...

200.000 experience, chemicals, books, tools/rawmaterials, electronics, medicine, weapons, secret stash and all the other junk you desperately need.

Overall a netwin. Its not like ammo is the only ressource you need. IF it is, you are so far in the endgame, that this is a different problem (beeing no endgame until bandits and stuff and not enough electronics and stuff to build/advance to)

I was on day 90 and I still needed electric parts and mechanical parts to repair my electronics from that insane hordenight I just had. Maybe you play differently, but I always need more stuff that I can loot.

To be fair A17 wasn't all that great for looting (no books, weaponsparts/qualityreduction, weapons craftable) but A18 will be. And paying for stuff with ammo is intended. Either you are a sneak guy and do not profit from perks on hordenight but have 100s of rounds or you are a machinegun guy who needs ammo to loot better stuff and profits from perks but is always low on ammo.

Its a tradeoff.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep the exp. I'm at a great level and I dont want anymore radiated zeds.

Keep all that junk. I can get it all faster elsewhere without spending 500 rounds.

@ Faatal:

Not to add another bug to slow down the hype train and release, but Jawoodle on youtube found another easy ai exploit that needs fixing. Zombies won't walk on arrow slits if they are on the ground! He placed a floor of them, and literally had a working forcefield and could just pick them all off one by one with a sledge, even on a day 40 horde night.

Obviously spitters would still create a hazard, but this is way too easy to allow in a18.

That boy can sniff out an exploit a mile away. He needs to be on the early release streamer list.

Spreading it on the ground probably wouldn’t work but maybe using it as an upgrade material for blocks so that zombie take damage as they give damage might be cool.

You can throw broken glass into your forge to use it for making bottles.

that indeed is a good idea, never thought about upgrading blocks with shard glasses.

however, what i meant was making EXPLOSIVE traps. something like, bombs filled or attached with glass shards, or maybe just regular bottles filled with powder, and with a rope or something to trigger the explosion.

so when the bomb explodes, you make bleeding damage to enemies, or similar, applying a debuff per example.

even the bombs can be equipped with a sensor to detonate on approximation, but then it would be made for high tier if that happens.

I love this alot! Simply because a friend I play with will kill himself whenever he gets a broken leg. It's the lamest reason to off yourself but he does it because, he doesn't like how he has to wait for it to heal over time. By day 40 he will easily have 200-300 deaths.

he is always building these MEGA structures which requires him to jump down from very high up which results in either breaking his leg or killing himself. Very immersion breaking IMO, so I am happy with this change. I am sure moders can either add to, reduce or even turn this penalty off all together. but I think that having a death consequence is vital to a game like this. it will make you think twice going into that military base on day 1 or sky diving off your current build because you don't want to get down from there properly.

How dare that bastard play how he wants to... This'll teach him!

(Sorry, but this is the exact line of thinking I abhorre. Nothing personal.)

@ Faatal:

Not to add another bug to slow down the hype train and release, but Jawoodle on youtube found another easy ai exploit that needs fixing. Zombies won't walk on arrow slits if they are on the ground! He placed a floor of them, and literally had a working forcefield and could just pick them all off one by one with a sledge, even on a day 40 horde night.

Obviously spitters would still create a hazard, but this is way too easy to allow in a18.

That boy can sniff out an exploit a mile away. He needs to be on the early release streamer list.

in our current build, I just tried with arrow slit blocks in ALL rotations on ground and in ground to make flush... my zombies took no issues to hop on, walk across or destroy these blocks.

I thought 16k maps were killed because they left to run on sentences.

... but Yeh, also because they perform poorly and things don't always spawn right on them.

Performance shouldn't be an issue, but generation time and ram needed to generate it is the last I had heard. (18's is all new code)

Archived