Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

It wouldn’t just be Modders that benefit from the workshop either.

Prefabbers would also benefit from a working workshop.

A lot of people have built some amazing stuff in this game and it would be great to see their work on the workshop.

It's all good, since Prefabbers are modders, too. :)

(And modders are content creators!)

Fataal specifically said any digging zombies would only break blocks below them if their current target was mostly below them.

That's true, but I thank XCOUNTRY for bringing up the dig-under-the-wall scenario. I hadn't considered it before, but it strikes me that a dog would totally do that, and in my humble opinion dogs are one of the best analogues when considering what a zombie would and wouldn't do.

There we have an exploit. Keep popping up and down the ladder and the zombies will spend all of their time traveling between your wall and their mine, not actually having time to attack anything and giving you plenty of time to shoot them on the way.

Since the pathing grid is updated "somewhat random[ly], but usually every 1-10 seconds," they'd have some time to make headway here and there before changing tacks. In fact, that random factor is nice, because the player would have to continually gauge how fast they're adjusting and react accordingly. At that point, one might question just which side is trolling the other. :)

my second fave game ever after 7dtd is moria. better than rogue it was (and before). ascii characters only. oh the ours i wasted at uni on that one...

yes its taken that long to beat moria

Whoa, shoutout for Moria! It's probably the first RPG I ever played.

Yeah pretty much. Mods are awesome and offer lots of Varity and Complexity. But some (myself included ) just want to start their Game after a Hard Day of work, Preparing Dinner, Spending time with their Kids (or nieces) and dont wont to bother themselves with more, then to click on the "Start" Button and join their Fav SP or MP Session.

And I think ( not claim ) that most players are like that, especially those who dont even attend to this forum. And for those current and possibly future Gamers the Vanilla Game should be expanded ( Step by Step ) in Variety of Zeds, Blocks, Weapons, POIs and what not.

I know how easy it is for some to yell "Mod it" but some just want to play their game :)

The perhaps better solution to this is not to bloat vanilla with everything but make mods as easy to install as the game itself.

The former might be impossible for TFP without lots of hiring and expanding, the latter is just one single feature that could be added even in beta and expands the variety for the after-dinner gamer 10-fold

I’ve been hoping to see this happen for as long as I’ve played the game.

It wouldn’t just be Modders that benefit from the workshop either.

Prefabbers would also benefit from a working workshop.

A lot of people have built some amazing stuff in this game and it would be great to see their work on the workshop.

I’m hoping that once the final building features list is done that this can happen.

Margoli and others have been doing a great job in trying to save a lot of the work that has been done but I know first hand how much effort has to go into fixing a prefab after a new Alpha release so I can’t see it happening until we see the final or close to final product.

It’s good to hear that the devs want the same things as we do though. As far as the workshop goes at the least.

I agree! I'd love to see a working steam workshop for this game! :D

Would definitely help also with my less technically-inclined friends be able to grab cool mods easier to boot (as well as the mods being promoted in the first place there.)

It doesn't stress my 1080ti's either at 4k but still plays rather chunky in some areas.

I run 30-50fps and gpu / cpu utilisation sub 50%

so im hoping with Vulkan we might see the game making more use of modern technology and pushing frame rates a bit further.

Voxel games tend to stress CPU more than GPU. The "chunky" play in some areas is probably more related to that than your GPU. I'm sure some of it could be GPU related and may get better but not sure where the point of diminishing returns is in this particular game.

Voxel games tend to stress CPU more than GPU. The "chunky" play in some areas is probably more related to that than your GPU. I'm sure some of it could be GPU related and may get better but not sure where the point of diminishing returns is in this particular game.

It could possibly be this this bug as well which has been fixed...

Micro-stuttering caused by UFPS camera and garbage collection has been fixed 4/24/18

A17 Feature List: Updated as Developers reveal them!

• Every biome remastered for Unity 2018 5/30/18
  • Game Engine update to Unity 2018 5/30/18

With the new c# job scheduler in Unity 2018 this is one of the best news items for A17. :) Glad the 2018 switch seems to have worked out well enough they decided to stay with it.

wondering what happened to the plans for blueprints shown a while ago in an idea MM had and showed in one of his videos.

were they shelved

were they forgotten

are they still coming

Back Burner.

Still planned as far as I know but probably will come around same time as settlements and/or steam workshop support. The idea was that it would more easily make prefabs shareable (which would be best served by workshop support) and also enable NPC's to assist in building once settlements are implemented.

Of course, Blueprints are not mentioned in the original kickstarter goals so they very well could go the way of other features that were thought up later but then deemed "beyond the scope". But, Madmole has seemed pretty excited about the possibilities of blueprints so....fingers crossed!

So the Unity 2018 upgrade happened after the Memorial Day video, which means we still don't have any game footage in the new version of Unity?

MUCH WANT

Can't wait to see what performance changes and other smaller changes or features that this new engine has helped them add! Better vehicle physics, for example? Can't wait to see the Vulkan renderer performance!

Back Burner.

Still planned as far as I know but probably will come around same time as settlements and/or steam workshop support. The idea was that it would more easily make prefabs shareable (which would be best served by workshop support) and also enable NPC's to assist in building once settlements are implemented.

Of course, Blueprints are not mentioned in the original kickstarter goals so they very well could go the way of other features that were thought up later but then deemed "beyond the scope". But, Madmole has seemed pretty excited about the possibilities of blueprints so....fingers crossed!

StompyNZ has it in a mod and I gotta say, it's pretty damn cool to use... I was skeptical about the idea when first pitched, but then I started imagining uses for it... especially now that we're definitely getting a conversation tree and a more robust quest package.

StompyNZ has it in a mod and I gotta say, it's pretty damn cool to use... I was skeptical about the idea when first pitched, but then I started imagining uses for it... especially now that we're definitely getting a conversation tree and a more robust quest package.

I don't suppose this mod is available publicly.. ? :smile-new:

faatal said that the block breaking targets are the three blocks stacked in front of them. Normal priority is 2nd block (at their torso level), 1st block (at their leg level), and then 3rd block (at their head level) and this is modified by weakness of the block. So if you have concrete on the ground wood on top of that and a window on top of that they would break the window and then the wood block and then jump up to walk through that 2-block opening. But if you had wood on the bottom, then window, then concrete they would break the two bottom ones and walk through.

It seems to me that the new pathing AI will negate the "Door honey-pot" strategy because zombies won't just go for doors for the sake of going for doors. They will go for the player through the weakest obstruction in their sight range. So they will still choose doors over walls but sticking a door and a gas barrel in a field six meters out from your base isn't going to attract them anymore as those doors are not between them and your brains.

Was a door and a gas barrel really the only problem? I thought there was more to it than that. hmm.

Not sure I get the scenario you describe, but doors are now the same as other blocks, they just are considered to have less health than they actually do. Depth is not exactly what it is doing. It is path of least resistance (lowest health) in all directions to you.

So to try and put into my own words so I can understand... Bare with me.

"It is path of least resistance (lowest health) in all directions to you".

This means that...

1. Multiple Paths are generated (got it) to reach a player.
  2. A list of blocks along each path are obtained. Assuming a 2 or 3 block high list along the whole path.
  3. The total health of the blocks that would need to be destroyed is calculated across these lists of blocks per path. (middle block, then high/low check with low favored.
  4. The path with least resistance is found.

is that right?

And @Roland, I don't think that the Door Honey Pot issue is getting resolved here. Though honestly you know more about it. But "zombies choosing doors for the sake of doors" still sounds like it's in effect. @fataal, if memory serves, never stated that the pathing evaluation putting doors at 25% of their health made a difference. And he stated that the goal of "path of least resistance" is still the goal of the AI.

Was a door and a gas barrel really the only problem? I thought there was more to it than that. hmm.

Well that was just one example but because doors were specifically targeted by zombies you could place doors for the purpose of attracting zombies to that location. Then shoot them or blow up a gas barrel next to them etc.

The difference is that now the player is squarely the target and not doors. If a zombie approaches a door on their way to you and the door is the weakest obstacle then they will break down the door but they won't go for doors simply because they're attracted to doors any longer.

Archived