Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Well that was just one example but because doors were specifically targeted by zombies you could place doors for the purpose of attracting zombies to that location. Then shoot them or blow up a gas barrel next to them etc.

The difference is that now the player is squarely the target and not doors. If a zombie approaches a door on their way to you and the door is the weakest obstacle then they will break down the door but they won't go for doors simply because they're attracted to doors any longer.

Ooooh I read fataal's descriptions very differently my friend.

Though the Player is Squarely the target may be a change to the pathing system. However the overall priority before ever reaching a player, is Path of Least Resistance. At least that's how I read it. So Doors are still going to attract zombies heavily. Which, if I also understand fataal's threads, that's a game play design choice that doesn't seem to be going away.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes.

/speaking for the devs since 1971

lol. Thanks O speaker of Devs. :p

Ooooh I read fataal's descriptions very differently my friend.

Though the Player is Squarely the target may be a change to the pathing system. However the overall priority before ever reaching a player, is Path of Least Resistance. At least that's how I read it. So Doors are still going to attract zombies heavily. Which, if I also understand fataal's threads, that's a game play design choice that doesn't seem to be going away.

- - - Updated - - -

lol. Thanks O speaker of Devs. :p

Yes....as long as the door is between the zombie and me.

Pre A-17

Put a door in a field and when zombies are aggroed they will go destroy the door because that is a prioritized AI-Task in a list of tasks that include attack the player.

A-17 and onward

Put a door in a field and the zombie will ignore it if it isn't an obstruction on the way to get to you because now there is no AI-task to go destroy doors.

So in terms of geometry doors are attractive when the zombie, a door, and you are co-linear in that order but when the three of you form the vertices of a triangle not so much. There may still be exploits that can be found and perhaps people will still avoid using doors in their ground level base designs but the new approach does close some strange behaviors and other exploits.

faatal,

Here is another question I just thought of. What are your plans if any regarding zombies always targeting the player who most recently injured them? Similarly, what about how in general a zombie that has targeted Player A will completely ignore Player B even if player B stands right in their path? Does the pathing system also allow zombies to change targets to the nearest most easily reached player?

The tried and true yo-yo action of getting a zombie between two players and each alternating attacks can be fun but its also predictable and simplistic.

Yes....as long as the door is between the zombie and me.

Pre A-17

Put a door in a field and when zombies are aggroed they will go destroy the door because that is a prioritized AI-Task in a list of tasks that include attack the player.

A-17 and onward

Put a door in a field and the zombie will ignore it if it isn't an obstruction on the way to get to you because now there is no AI-task to go destroy doors.

So in terms of geometry doors are attractive when the zombie, a door, and you are co-linear in that order but when the three of you form the vertices of a triangle not so much. There may still be exploits that can be found and perhaps people will still avoid using doors in their ground level base designs but the new approach does close some strange behaviors and other exploits.

Don't forget the door bonus though, so they will likely be more attracted to them.

Yes the door bonus will make them appear weaker compared to nearby blocks but again they are only going to break doors as a means to path to you now which is distinctly different than before.

I did an interesting test awhile back. I duplicated the break door AI-Task line so there were two of them at the top of the task list. After doing that I could go stand next to zombies on the ground and they would largely ignore me if there were any doors nearby....

On a side note I also removed the break blocks AI-Task because I wanted to see what it would be like if zombies only went for doors and couldn't destroy even wood walls. I built a rectangular building and put one door on each face. Then I spawned in 25 zombies. The zombies didn't attack the walls of my building at all. Some of them went for the doors and broke them down and others milled around below me trying to get to me (I was standing on the roof) When I added the second line of attacking doors and did it again almost all the zombies went for the doors and I could even drop down to the ground and most ignored me in favor of the doors.

Just doors. Barrels were for a heatsource to attract screamers. Doors are the only block specifically targeted by <=a16 ai-tasks, as far as I can recall.

but wait I like 3 campfires in front of a door and let them all burn - that won't work? I guess a cheap wooden door with fires in front with a vault door behind it will work. I assuming the rest of my cube is concrete.

- - - Updated - - -

faatal,

Here is another question I just thought of. What are your plans if any regarding zombies always targeting the player who most recently injured them? Similarly, what about how in general a zombie that has targeted Player A will completely ignore Player B even if player B stands right in their path? Does the pathing system also allow zombies to change targets to the nearest most easily reached player?

The tried and true yo-yo action of getting a zombie between two players and each alternating attacks can be fun but its also predictable and simplistic.

I feel a zombie should finish who it is attacking. if there is AI, maybe a zombie can see the limping goof who broke his leg and go after them like TWD season 4 I think.

I feel a zombie should finish who it is attacking. if there is AI, maybe a zombie can see the limping goof who broke his leg and go after them like TWD season 4 I think.

I suppose it all depends on your point of view, some people think that a mob should attack the player with the most agro, instead of just attacking the first player who shoots it.

Just add a bar above player head to show how much they made the zed angry. Make zed act like a kid with internet addiction, but with no internet and this will look good.

Now serious. Distracting zeds from when a crippled friend or while someone`s blood is leaking badly is pretty helpfull in my experience.

While I'm here, Gronk=he? I just assume this is the real Rob Gronkowski who loves playing 7dtd and writing code. It's just a shame that Gronk plays for the wrong team.

You're not the first person to mistake me for some youtube "star". I thought the avatar would have been a dead giveaway, apparently nobody reads classic comics any more...

http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Gronk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium_Dog

"A gag showed that 'the Gronk' was the name for most of its species, causing problems when mail arrives for 'the Gronk'."

- From the wiki

I would love it if the fun pimps would give us 7.1 surround sound imagine the possibilities.

Nature would be incredible, Imagine everything you could possibly hear as you walk through a field on a stormy day, wind gusts literally blow past you as it interacts with grass/foilage and trees and whatnot, babbling brooks, rain pelting all the nature around you, lightning strikes and thunder off in the distance, sigh it would be beautiful.

<3 <3 <3

Xeen...whatever happens nobody will ever be able to say you didn't have high expectations. :)

lolol well the fun pimps are always talking about immersion well think about all the immersion we are missing out on because we don't have 7.1 surround sound.

I would love it if the fun pimps would give us 7.1 surround sound imagine the possibilities.

Nature would be incredible, Imagine everything you could possibly hear as you walk through a field on a stormy day, wind gusts literally blow past you as it interacts with grass/foilage and trees and whatnot, babbling brooks, rain pelting all the nature around you, lightning strikes and thunder off in the distance, sigh it would be beautiful.

<3 <3 <3

I can't remember the name of it, but one of the STALKER mods did this to an incredible level. It was unbelievable especially for the time (a few years back).

I suppose it all depends on your point of view, some people think that a mob should attack the player with the most agro, instead of just attacking the first player who shoots it.

Now serious. Distracting zeds from when a crippled friend or while someone`s blood is leaking badly is pretty helpfull in my experience.

Mainly I just don't want it predictable and simplistic. It is entirely too predictable and simplistic right now. If my buddy shoots an arrow into a zombie I can walk in circles around it within it's reach as it shambles towards my buddy supremely confident that I am 100% safe. Unless I add damage to it, that zombie will not see me or hunger for my brains.

I don't like it when I'm 100% safe and I know it.

<3 <3 <3

You must get some bomb ass weed my dude.

You must get some bomb ass weed my dude.

hahaha naw I don't partake because sadly I live in Kansas and we have barbaric marijuana laws and I like my freedom.

Seriously though sound is extremely important for immersion, as it is now sounds are rudimentary to say the least, they need at least three sound settings for nature minimum, weather, ambient and environment, and provide us with all of those sounds constantly and not in a generic way but in 3D positional 7.1 surround sound.

Yes the door bonus will make them appear weaker compared to nearby blocks but again they are only going to break doors as a means to path to you now which is distinctly different than before.

I did an interesting test awhile back. I duplicated the break door AI-Task line so there were two of them at the top of the task list. After doing that I could go stand next to zombies on the ground and they would largely ignore me if there were any doors nearby....

On a side note I also removed the break blocks AI-Task because I wanted to see what it would be like if zombies only went for doors and couldn't destroy even wood walls. I built a rectangular building and put one door on each face. Then I spawned in 25 zombies. The zombies didn't attack the walls of my building at all. Some of them went for the doors and broke them down and others milled around below me trying to get to me (I was standing on the roof) When I added the second line of attacking doors and did it again almost all the zombies went for the doors and I could even drop down to the ground and most ignored me in favor of the doors.

Fair enough. I wasn't even referring to a free standing door in the middle of nothing. I was more referring to something like placing a door in the middle of my wall then blocking the backside of the door with steel blocks and iron bar ceiling. Effectively, if the whole path to me isn't vetted for overall health and damage of the path, I can use doors to move a zombie through kill chambers. Least, that's the one thing that pops into my head. Throw some Iron/Wood blocks behind each door for stalling. Or, based on the way it sounds, perhaps concrete, wood, concrete starting from the bottom of my kill path floor. So the total concrete + wood block is overall lower health. Then door behind that to encourage pathing, and another concrete/wood/concrete path obstruction.

Where, simply turning to the right, and bashing through my full concrete wall that's only 1 block deep would be much easier and overall lower health to get to me.

Still, good to see the testing you went through Roland. Nice work man! Just talking through some of the AI stuff that might go sideways. Perhaps it won't. But thought it worth considering.

I don't know if this was already asked. If yes, please pardon me. I am new on this Thread.

I would like to ask if Different types of diseases which influences negatively in the status will be implemented someday.

Is that being considered?

That should be possible with the new buff system and I have little doubt it will appear in some of the mods. Whether it'll make it into vanilla? I don't know but I wouldn't expect it before beta, you don't want too many systems to have to debug while working on core mechanics of a game.

Mainly I just don't want it predictable and simplistic. It is entirely too predictable and simplistic right now. If my buddy shoots an arrow into a zombie I can walk in circles around it within it's reach as it shambles towards my buddy supremely confident that I am 100% safe. Unless I add damage to it, that zombie will not see me or hunger for my brains.

I don't like it when I'm 100% safe and I know it.

that glaring safety I get. Though I do like to work my way to 100% safe positions. I started playing a new game on Steam called Kenshi. I think it actually balances it pretty well. At the beginning. Man... LIVE. Later on, you can setup some pretty solid safety. However once you leave that safety... Best of luck. You may be OP, but there's things out there that will eat your face off. I like it. It's very survival oriented.

<snipped for space>

Given the way a-star pathfinding works it's incredibly likely the zombie won't make a move until it has a full path to follow... even if that means the zombie must have x-ray vision to determine the least costly route. You could probably modify it a bit so that it only paths to doors without checking what's behind them but that would be a lot of work to add in a mechanic solely for exploitation purposes.

Archived