Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hey I was wondering if we could get a hollow block that allows you to place electric relays, switches, and generators in them so that we can hide our wires inside of the walls a lot easier. It'd make electrical work a lot less painful and tedious.

Hey I was wondering if we could get a hollow block that allows you to place electric relays, switches, and generators in them so that we can hide our wires inside of the walls a lot easier. It'd make electrical work a lot less painful and tedious.

Not without implementing "compound blocks" which hasn't been done yet to my knowledge. You could go the other way and surround each open face with a flat piece of wood or steel as you would likely have to do in real life.

You can sort of do that now:

1. Use a relay like you would any block.

Explanation: For the purposes of vertical SI calculation, a relay is equal to any other block.

2. Place the "metal siding" block on either side of the relay, flush with the wall, that the relay is part of. (Dont use the "plate" block, it does not look as good).

3. Paint the metal sidings, so they look like the rest of the wall.

4. Win!

Alternatively you can replace one of the metal sidings with a hatch. This way you have access to your relay.

Edit:

I'm guessing about the relay being equal SI wise... But I've used this tactic many times without issue.

I like how my posts are totally invisible here or everyone just ignores them. :cool:

Well folks dont always answer you directly... But I'm sure you're read, so dont worry.

The rep system is nice... That way you can be given props or opposit, without clogging up the thread ;)

You know, Roland could make an A17 let's play series, he just doesn't like us that much to do it. Or he'd make a math tutorial video just to troll us :fat:

"In this video I will show you how to calculate the square root of A17"

Back Burner.

Still planned as far as I know but probably will come around same time as settlements and/or steam workshop support. The idea was that it would more easily make prefabs shareable (which would be best served by workshop support) and also enable NPC's to assist in building once settlements are implemented.

Of course, Blueprints are not mentioned in the original kickstarter goals so they very well could go the way of other features that were thought up later but then deemed "beyond the scope". But, Madmole has seemed pretty excited about the possibilities of blueprints so....fingers crossed!

awesome hoping npcs and bandits are going to be soon lol like maybe surprise A17 content haha lol :-P 17 be great but maybe we skip 17.1 17.2 etc and go str8 to a18 :-P and do npcs bandits and settlements in that update if not A17.....

You know, Roland could make an A17 let's play series, he just doesn't like us that much to do it. Or he'd make a math tutorial video just to troll us :fat:

"In this video I will show you how to calculate the square root of A17"

I would deff watch that let's play.

He plays so very differently than me...

awesome hoping npcs and bandits are going to be soon lol like maybe surprise A17 content haha lol :-P 17 be great but maybe we skip 17.1 17.2 etc and go str8 to a18 :-P and do npcs bandits and settlements in that update if not A17.....

I hope there's some extra variation to NPC's when they do come. Kind of hoping for an NPC specific Alpha sometime after this one. Something that focuses on frameworks, speed of adding in new NPC's, Factions, etc. It would be cool to have as the game progresses, tougher NPC factions "Moving into town...". So you could start with "Mama Joe and her Little Boys" running around with clubs and axes. And later run into roving mercenary bands looking for resource stock piles and such. To keep with staging. With Duke the ever present background danger and the settlements the ever present "good guys" (maybe?).

Granted it's a very different gaming style with a lot of very different mechanics, for a pretty cool standard world map (think Nav's), try Kenshi. It's... got a lot of "7D2D" feel without it being purely zombies. though if you convert Hungry Bandits or a few other factions to "Zombies" it wouldn't be far off.

7D2D seems to me like a game that has a lot of character potential. And character as in... Things that make it stand out, unique, or in 7D2D case, edgy. NPC's, are a gold mine for building character in a game.

I like how my posts are totally invisible here or everyone just ignores them. :cool:

No offence meant but your last few posts in the dev diary have been video requests, celebrating unity upgrades or about Vulkan.

You know as much as the rest of us about new videos, not many people are familiar enough with unity and the 7dtd engine to comment about the impact of unity upgrades on the engine and there are probably five people on the forum who truly know what Vulkan is, less than that know how to actually use it and its capabilities.

No offence meant but your last few posts in the dev diary have been video requests, celebrating unity upgrades or about Vulkan.

You know as much as the rest of us about new videos, not many people are familiar enough with unity and the 7dtd engine to comment about the impact of unity upgrades on the engine and there are probably five people on the forum who truly know what Vulkan is, less than that know how to actually use it and its capabilities.

Yep, which is why I'm saying various features of the new engine could mean we get some improvements in various areas. Whether or not The Fun Pimps will utilize those features or if we'll get some improvements immediately is another matter entirely. I don't know the feature set difference between the new and old engine, only know about Vulkan helping on the graphics side.

My point is that the possibility of the game getting better features in various ways, and the graphics improvements if utilized, are something to get excited about! :D

We won't know for sure until they drop some info about it or make a new video on the new engine.

Yep, which is why I'm saying various features of the new engine could mean we get some improvements in various areas. Whether or not The Fun Pimps will utilize those features or if we'll get some improvements immediately is another matter entirely. I don't know the feature set difference between the new and old engine, only know about Vulkan helping on the graphics side.

My point is that the possibility of the game getting better features in various ways, and the graphics improvements if utilized, are something to get excited about! :D

We won't know for sure until they drop some info about it or make a new video on the new engine.

I'm more excited about the c# job system than vulkan if I'm honest, I've been using it for a month or so and I love it. If you're interested here's the speech where they go into how it actually works, I skipped the vid forward a bit so there are some pretty pictures. It's mostly just code, performance graphs, details about the compiler and the audience being told to be better programmers otherwise :-)

I'm more excited about the c# job system than vulkan if I'm honest, I've been using it for a month or so and I love it. If you're interested here's the speech where they go into how it actually works, I skipped the vid forward a bit so there are some pretty pictures. It's mostly just code, performance graphs, details about the compiler and the audience being told to be better programmers otherwise :-)

For users of all engines and platforms (including macOS and iOS if they are using the Vulk-to-Metal wrapper), Vulkan offers cross-platform standardization and performance and removes the need for driver debugging on different OSes and chipsets. It's similar to DX12, but the next version, better performance than DX12, and cross-platform.

But yes, features like these two is what I'm talking about, it could lead to great performance improvements. There could be other features too that will lead to better effects, physics, etc, so will be cool to find out! :D

Archived