Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I know the benchmarks between a 1060 and a 1080 are off the charts. I'm talking more about the difference in a Voxel game. It could be a big difference. I haven't actually been able to test it.

BUT stop making me think that. I tell myself my poor little 1060 is fine for the games I play so I don't need a 1080. Don't burst my bubble. Lol

In theory you could do the voxel calculations on the graphics card in the same way that graphics cards are often used to brute-force encryption. It would likely be faster but more limited, depending on which library you choose to work with.

Someone did a test of making the ground non-voxel and the performance gains were fantastic. The problem is that the game then lost a lot of the ability to create the base you wanted because you couldn't dig in the ground. I'm not sure everyone realises the sheer amount of system resources required to run the voxel engine. If your CPU and RAM are chewed up with voxels and AI it's going to have a huge effect on the frame-rate no matter what graphics card you have. Without the spare CPU cycles to send data to the graphics card there comes a point where it just maxes out.

I'm amazed they don't do a booth at a con... I'd show.

I'd show up just to have you autograph all the 7 Days gear I'd buy....you just need to write "The Governor", or "Gup" if you get writers cramp easy.

By the way, when are they going to start selling stuff?

Yep, which is why I'm saying various features of the new engine could mean we get some improvements in various areas. Whether or not The Fun Pimps will utilize those features or if we'll get some improvements immediately is another matter entirely. I don't know the feature set difference between the new and old engine, only know about Vulkan helping on the graphics side.

My point is that the possibility of the game getting better features in various ways, and the graphics improvements if utilized, are something to get excited about! :D

We won't know for sure until they drop some info about it or make a new video on the new engine.

And since none of that makes sense to me, as I have no, nor do I want it, knowledge of what it is you are posting about, I glance at it, realize it is Greek to me and go to the next post. It's not meant to be insulting, or ignoring, just not something I see as important. Yes, it affects the game, makes it better, yadayada. I don't know crap about cars, I read reviews that says this one has problems, this one doesn't, this one has been recalled several times this one hasn't. This one get so many miles per gallon, this one gets this amount. If it looks pretty, has good reviews on not breaking down and rides comfortable and is in my price range I will go for it. We are thinking about buying a van.

I play several different Voxel games and I wanted to know exactly what impact a graphics card really has on game performance so recently I did a simple straight forward experiment where I used one of my older rigs which is a 3.2Ghz Sandybridge 6-core, 32GB of memory and a Sandisk Ultra II SSD as a test bed to see how much impact there would be between two different generation Nvidia Geforce flagship graphics cards a EVGA GTX 780 FTW and a EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 and what I found is interesting.

To set up the scene I turned on the FPS meter and called 15 scouts from the console and let them do their thing while I stayed out of the way and as soon as there was approx 100+ zombies on my screen I started shooting.

Win10: Disk Cache Disabled.

Graphics settings: High

Results:

GTX 780:

Average FPS: 4

GTX 1080 Ti:

Average FPS: 16

The old girl had some headroom left after all and the GTX 1080 Ti won the day being 4x faster on the bottom end and keeping the game from grinding to a halt and being completely unplayable.

While your computer core has the most impact on the performance of Voxel games it is obvious that a flagship graphics card still has a considerable impact on performance in extreme situations during game play.

Nice test,

You didnt happen to log individual CPU core load aswell did you ?

Or GPU Core load or GPU VRAM use ?

Nice test,

You didnt happen to log individual CPU core load aswell did you ?

Or GPU Core load or GPU VRAM use ?

Nah I wanted to keep it simple and not overload people with data since most people just look at FPS I kept it to FPS.

If I did this same test on my newest rig which is a 7820X on the LGA 2066 platform utilizing quad channel DDR4 and M.2 NVMe we would have a vastly different result and now that I'm thinking about it I may do that and report the result to illustrate the difference a state of the art computer core can make over previous generations.

They don't want to do a booth at a con...because the people currently in control of most cons across America...would find the game and Madmoles manliness offensive and probably scream and cry till they were removed...it has happened a few times in the last couple years...

Nah I wanted to keep it simple and not overload people with data since most people just look at FPS I kept it to FPS.

If I did this same test on my newest rig which is a 7820X on the LGA 2066 platform utilizing quad channel DDR4 and M.2 NVMe we would have a vastly different result and now that I'm thinking about it I may do that and report the result to illustrate the difference a state of the art computer core can make over previous generations.

If you do that would be awesome !

I have a similar cpu (7900x) so your results would likely correlate very similar to me

If you do retest on that 7820x can u also drop in your clock speed (ie overclocked or runing stock with intel turbo boost)

Cheers :)

They don't want to do a booth at a con...because the people currently in control of most cons across America...would find the game and Madmoles manliness offensive and probably scream and cry till they were removed...it has happened a few times in the last couple years...

The Great Mole would suffer the same problem I get. We can see our abs by looking down, most developers can't see their toes without the help of a mirror.

I'd show up just to have you autograph all the 7 Days gear I'd buy....you just need to write "The Governor", or "Gup" if you get writers cramp easy.

By the way, when are they going to start selling stuff?

Guess that would leave out us from EU... Can't have it all I guess...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24558[/ATTACH]

I have a kettle, but that's my wife's business. If I want tea, I start by finding my box of expired tea bags and throwing them away. Then I go to the store and buy a new box of tea bags. Bring it home and use the microwave to make a cup of tea. Repeat process 2 years later. Very barbaric

My only Hope is, that once Alpha 17 E is out, the RG will stay the same as in A17S, so we do not have to start over again. Even if it is wiser to do so.

It's always best to start over. Maybe not aftr the first patch. We usually start over at the 3/4th patch after every major release. That way you have some time to test the first one. And by the time the 4th one drops you start over cause the entire game is usually messed up by then.

My only Hope is, that once Alpha 17 E is out, the RG will stay the same as in A17S, so we do not have to start over again. Even if it is wiser to do so.

Usually devs tell us to before install stable, when we used experimental before it. Debugging does do lots of changes that could cause glitches if you keep your experimental savegame. It is just safe especially if you don`t wanna be dissapointed by bugs bunnies in long term gameplay.

That's very unlikely and even if it is you really don't want to do it. TFP have hired quite a few people to work on the terrain generator, even a minor change in the generation algorithm will have huge changes to RNG.

If I remember correctly they said many moons ago that if you generate a world with a particular version of the terrain generator the game will use that version to generate the world, I'm not sure if that's still the case but if it is you'll miss out on anything the new generator has to offer.

Usually devs tell us to wipe before install stable, when we used experimental before it. Debugging does do lots of changes that could cause glitches if you keep your experimental savegame. It is just safe especially if you don`t wanna be dissapointed by bugs bunnies in long term gameplay.

Experimental version is what we use to find and report bugs to devs (Pimps give us oportunity to be part of the process of debug in a matter to make better game), so they clean them up and maybe make new ones ;) Stable is ..well..stable.

Archived