Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Get your head away from the idea of sub-voxels, they would be far too resource intensive to implement. The collider is a cylinder in a very literal sense and has very little interaction with the underlying voxel engine. Once the pillar is placed the only real interaction between the pillar and the voxel engine is that once the pillar is destroyed the block it is placed inside can then have something else placed inside it.

I've been thinking a little about this from time to time.

If what you say is true, then it should not be possible for 2 "objects" to occupy the same block. Should it?

But the craftable safe, for example, IS placed inside an already occupied block.

Or is this somehow a different scenario?

The point of my original pathing post was not to complain about the digging/knock on the new AI; more to help me determine if I needed to spend the resources to upgrade my floors to the same material as my walls. As of now my walls remain stout and I paint less resource intensive floor blocks to match the walls, or make it "prettier" with the other paint options. Seems I will be fine continuing my normal play. I am always pleasantly surprised when an AI entity deviates from what I expect it to do. Definitely more immersive that way regardless of how "smart" I perceive the threat to be. To me unexpected=realistic. You can only plan for so much IRL.

As always thank you Fataal for taking time to answer questions.

I took your post as an honest question and I think others did too. :)

I think that Gronk is right in that once 1000's of people get their hands on it and start building in different ways there is going to be some weirdness to the pathing and AI that is unexpected that will emerge and some of that could end up being awesome sauce that is still fair while other stuff will turn out to be seen as glitchy and unfair or too easily exploited. I think I'm more excited about the conversations we'll be having concerning A17's experimental builds than any before it.

I've been thinking a little about this from time to time.

If what you say is true, then it should not be possible for 2 "objects" to occupy the same block. Should it?

But the craftable safe, for example, IS placed inside an already occupied block.

Or is this somehow a different scenario?

The mechanic you're looking for is called a "compound block" which is when a block can contain two objects that would otherwise require a block to themselves. Compound blocks haven't been implemented as far as I know, the wall safe is likely to be on the inside face of an otherwise empty block.

Try to break the connection in your head about how a block is stored and what appears in front of the player. The grid where the data is stored is necessarily light and only contains the information required to tell the rest of the engine how to build the world.

For example, the metadata for a block likely only contains a series of words and numbers that describe what to place in a particular area. This is the base layer, everything else such as the game world interacts with this data but unless you look into the actual save file for each chunk you'll never see it yourself.

I really should get around to having a proper look through the code. Most of my guesses and suppositions are derived from actually playing the game while having a reasonable knowledge of different game mechanics and engines.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that Gronk is right

Dammit! I like being wrong, can't learn anything new if you go around being right all of the time. :-)

To dig under a wall, they would have to dig 2 blocks down, then the next low/medium blocks x2, then the next medium (chest high) block, then 2 jumps to get out and that is provided there are not upper blocks they would have to destroy. I'm not planning on making them do all of that.

It just hit me that you ARE the person who makes zombies do what they do. Ever get the urge to make them juggle or ride around on bicycles (A17) or on bears?

I've got a concern with the new zombies on the front of how they will destroy the terrain/buildings to get to a player.

Mind you not a gameplay concern; rather a concern for the immersion aspect.

It sounds like the destruction we may see with digging and attempting to directly collapse walls/buildings will not match the POIs thus far seen and the destruction that has occurred to them.

This often bothers me already when it comes to any "sealed" POI (one with all entrances/exits blocked in one or more ways but zombies inside(worsened at higher gamestages with sleepers)).

I know, it is stupid thing to wonder upon. I know, I should just say it is a game, but for some reason it bugs me. :)

EDIT: to be clear I actually find it more immersion breaking and disturbing at times than someone who chooses to bunker at bedrock or build to sky high to avoid zombie interaction. It just reminds me the apocalypse wasn't real even in that game world and the whole thing is a game to get the player.

EDIT2: Perhaps the POIs should be designed undamaged, then let the zeds do their natural tracking to follow players through to get more POIs that feel like they were a part of the apocalypse as involving the zeds we will encounter.

Has there been much discussion on Horde nights and if they are going to be any different from what we have now?

Currently the night is effectively over around midnight whereas in A15 they seemed to come for most of the night.

A16 set to 64 can be a really intense couple of hours (Gametime) as they all stream in but it always seems to end too early.

Please forgive me if this is another one of those subjects that has been beaten to death with a ban hammer.

I'm just curious if there are any changes in the wind.

<snipped for space>

Nothing has been said directly but with the optimizations done to the pathfinding, and with other systems, there _should_ be more system resources to allow for more zombies. I know the Great Mole wants more zombies in.

Has there been much discussion on Horde nights and if they are going to be any different from what we have now?

Currently the night is effectively over around midnight whereas in A15 they seemed to come for most of the night.

A16 set to 64 can be a really intense couple of hours (Gametime) as they all stream in but it always seems to end too early.

Please forgive me if this is another one of those subjects that has been beaten to death with a ban hammer.

I'm just curious if there are any changes in the wind.

I think Gazz will have to comment on this. He is aware of Guppycur's mod that turns the final wave into a flood like the previous waves instead of the trickle we get now. With the new pathing maybe the trickle will work better than it has. It just depends on the vision for that final wave in the night and whether the devs want it to be a trickle or a flood.

Given that it is a focus of the game I am sure TFP are always thinking about how to improve it.

The current system is a lot of fun but just seems to peter out too soon leaving you with a lot of adrenaline and a long night till morning.

In A15 the rising of the sun was the end of a long night of Zombie slaying and it felt right.

A16 feels like you are missing the last chapter in a book.

This game barely stresses my 1060. Not sure multi GPU would really help much.

It doesn't stress my 1080ti's either at 4k but still plays rather chunky in some areas.

I run 30-50fps and gpu / cpu utilisation sub 50%

so im hoping with Vulkan we might see the game making more use of modern technology and pushing frame rates a bit further.

Oh really, not going to happen you say? We shall see.

No I didn't buy a GTX 1080 Ti just for 7DTD but even if I did it wasn't a waste of money we will have a photorealistic graphics pack sooner than you think.

Thank you for the confirmation good sir, I know you guys are hesitant to give dates which is understandable but would you at least confirm that you intend at some point to release said 4k and 8k textures for use by us hungry hungry hippos?

No, the game won't look like FarCry 5, because it's more than just textures. It's all the shaders and other such things required to make the game look good.

That's actually pretty hard to add to 7DTD via mods. Now, if TFP add that support themselves... that's different.

As for the textures, it would be interesting to see if it's even possible to add 4k textures. The atlas might be 8k, but that's made up of much smaller textures, so then the question becomes "How big of a texture atlas can 7DTD AND Unity handle?"

Basically you're wanting AAA graphics from a game not using an AAA engine (based on how people seem to define AAA games) and I honestly think you're obsessing about it too much.

Graphics don't make everything.

Are you talking about outsmarting Zombies? Seriously I don´t expect them to be super smart at all.

But if I build a tunnel into a mountain with a big entrance and defences etc. ... I would realy like to see them take the entrance.

Yeah, the tunnel under a large mountain is like a semi-underground fort and I recommend it to "under grounders" as a step up in excitement and potential looting.

1) Being able to focus all your shotgun turrets in a limited area, partly blocking their field of fire so they can only fire down and point blank should be very effective.

2) Building 50% round pillars horizontally, 2 blocks out should let the dead zombies fall through to an area where you can collect the loot (yes most loot is bad but some is great and you need the bones for more shotgun shells...).

Graphics don't make everything.

+100 to this.

my second fave game ever after 7dtd is moria. better than rogue it was (and before). ascii characters only. oh the ours i wasted at uni on that one...

yes its taken that long to beat moria

+100 to this.

my second fave game ever after 7dtd is moria. better than rogue it was (and before). ascii characters only. oh the ours i wasted at uni on that one...

yes its taken that long to beat moria

Vampires the masquerade: Bloodlines.

Nuff said...

Guest Rassilon
Yeah, but how about vanilla?

Yeah pretty much. Mods are awesome and offer lots of Varity and Complexity. But some (myself included ) just want to start their Game after a Hard Day of work, Preparing Dinner, Spending time with their Kids (or nieces) and dont wont to bother themselves with more, then to click on the "Start" Button and join their Fav SP or MP Session.

And I think ( not claim ) that most players are like that, especially those who dont even attend to this forum. And for those current and possibly future Gamers the Vanilla Game should be expanded ( Step by Step ) in Variety of Zeds, Blocks, Weapons, POIs and what not.

I know how easy it is for some to yell "Mod it" but some just want to play their game :)

We will probably be trying it out on dogs. Basically they will just dig on their current block or adjacent block, but it depends on how it looks. The target will need to be mostly under them.

The path grid generates on terrain like anything else, so caves should be fine, but have not tested on tunnels yet.

Thats fine...as long as hitler doesnt double their run speed and increase their numbers to 100. *snickers* :p

Archived