Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

I want to start off by saying my suggestion to use f7 was not to be a ♥♥♥♥ or a smartass. I have only used f7 for screenshots for thumbnails. I assumed the game played the same in f7 mode, minus the hud. Was I mistaken? And if I am wrong then why can't TFP just make It so all f7 does it take away the hud, would that work for you?

I'll definitely do a video with no hud, provided I can install it and use it in one of my lps, then remove it without issues. Can I do that? Really, i think it would make a really cool episode, weather I like it or not.

I don't think I've ever played a game without a hud and I doubt I ever will, although I would make an exception for 7 Days to Die, I would not be happy about it.

Also when I said it's a terrible idea I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure for you and players like you it's a great idea. I just meant I wouldn't like it in my game, that's all.

I think these forum's exist in a pretty strong echo chamber. I think many players would not be happy without a ui.

I think for me and Roland and I'm sure many others here, there's a real disconnect on what we want from the game, and please if I'm wrong let me know. I think you guys seem to want the hardcore survival elements to be prioritised. I love survival but I don't need that level in this game, or want it really. My love of survival in this game comes from building defensive interesting bases and battling on horde night. Having to look at the sun to tell the time is not something that appeals to me. It actually sounds really bad tbh. Now, let me craft a watch for my time and you're onto something. But not being able to see my hps, sta, hotbar? Sorry, no.

Do you not have sphereii’s mod launcher? As long as you have room on your hard drive for multiple installs of the game you can have multiple mods installed at the same time. It really is amazing.

Hey, I know HUD-less play isn’t for everyone. I just like to share my love for my favorite style. :)

But seriously for a content publisher the mod launcher would be a must I would think. It has a great tutorial for getting it installed and understanding how it works. It’s stickied in the mod tools forum I believe so it’s easy to find as well.

It would be an expensive DLC! Unless a lot of the buildings are destroyed and radiated from the nukes (trying to kill off the zombies?). The buildings that remain could have ad-hoc bridges spanning between buildings. The higher up the better the air and more expensive.

Have Central Park as a horrific place with gangs owning building around it with lots of "quests" once the player is strong enough to actually make it out of the subways.

Zip-lines required! :D

The amount of new POIs is huge I know, this is the reason I haven`t share it, but still it is awesome idea to have a city of your own, with your friends or alone and experience a living hell.

How about you get this one city looted first? =P

dsiEczft.jpg

Just the first random one that popped up.

Wow, cities are bigger in A17 then?? :D That's probably a 50 day job right there!

I'll need another fort just to hold my stuff!

Hey you guys! Quit eye'ing my loot...

Do you not have sphereii’s mod launcher? As long as you have room on your hard drive for multiple installs of the game you can have multiple mods installed at the same time. It really is amazing.

Hey, I know HUD-less play isn’t for everyone. I just like to share my love for my favorite style. :)

But seriously for a content publisher the mod launcher would be a must I would think. It has a great tutorial for getting it installed and understanding how it works. It’s stickied in the mod tools forum I believe so it’s easy to find as well.

Oh I have been using the mod launcher for a while now. But what i would like to do is use the no ui mod for 1 episode of a series I already have going. I guess that's not feesible.

I guess I could use it for a one off video but it will get a fraction of the videos that a full fledged lp would. I don't really care about the views but if like others to see it to see if they might like a non ui version.

Oh I have been using the mod launcher for a while now. But what i would like to do is use the no ui mod for 1 episode of a series I already have going. I guess that's not feesible.

I guess I could use it for a one off video but it will get a fraction of the videos that a full fledged lp would. I don't really care about the views but if like others to see it to see if they might like a non ui version.

Applying a HUD mod to a preexisting game should be fine, back up your data just in case though. It would only be an issue if the mod messes with default objects or the map generator.

@faatal @roland

A few week ago, in the context of improving AI, it was said that zombies are now able to break blocks, I believe it was faatal who gave the news. Now we are discussing digging zombies and I read that only dogs, at first, may be able to dig.

I don't understand. If zeds are able to break blocks, then they are able to dig, aren't they? What's the difference? Breaking blocks equals digging, right?

The only thing I can think of is that you give them the ability to destroy your base, but not dig underground. In such case, what would happen if I built a dirt base? Would they not be able to destroy it?

Zombies could break blocks before, but it was buggy, so they would often miss or hit a different block. Now they target blocks specifically, always hit it when they try, and in conjunction with pathing, choose weaker blocks. That includes terrain blocks.

What digging means, is they will attempt to damage blocks (of any type) below them. Currently, if you are below them, they have no way to damage in a downward direction, which is what we want to change.

June is in 12.5 hours on the eastern US coast. Which means its June in Australia and New Zealand.

Does that mean that it's actually July somewhere? Should A17 be released right now...somewhere?

Those lucky bastards in Somewhere.

Does that mean that it's actually July somewhere? Should A17 be released right now...somewhere?

Totally know you are being sarcastic. Which I fully approve, but it made me think.

And the answer would be:

No...it is not July somewhere. The months and how we measure time are purely an earth thing. If other planets (with 'intelligent life') have years and months it is based on how they travel around the sun. And it is doubtful they call any of those months July.

Thank you for the fun thought :)

That "Somewhere" must be somehow existentially outside the normal spacetime.

Since the earth only has a 24h cycle ;)

Zombies could break blocks before, but it was buggy, so they would often miss or hit a different block. Now they target blocks specifically, always hit it when they try, and in conjunction with pathing, choose weaker blocks. That includes terrain blocks.

What digging means, is they will attempt to damage blocks (of any type) below them. Currently, if you are below them, they have no way to damage in a downward direction, which is what we want to change.

I really like the idea of dogs and possibly bears (shiver) being the enemy types that dig through terrain. However I still think that there are cases where all zombies need to be able to target blocks above them and below them. Perhaps all zombies could be changed to target only non-terrain blocks and hatches below them if they detect the player and are wanting to path to them. This would allow zombies on the roof of a base to pound down through the ceiling and in POI's if a sleeper on the floor above you wakes up it could pound its way through and drop down to where you are instead of shuffling around ineffectively.

Zombies would still be able to target any block above them so they could pound their way up and out of pits and hit blocks placed above ladders or lips placed around the edge of a roof or blocks placed to barricade a staircase.

It's still a hacky approach to require an external / 3rd party program.

The most the player should be expected to do is clicking "I want that" in the Steam Workshop.

They may need to be some way to force a different load order but even that could use an intelligent default when modders get to leave a load order preference in a file somewhere.

I’ve been hoping to see this happen for as long as I’ve played the game.

It wouldn’t just be Modders that benefit from the workshop either.

Prefabbers would also benefit from a working workshop.

A lot of people have built some amazing stuff in this game and it would be great to see their work on the workshop.

I’m hoping that once the final building features list is done that this can happen.

Margoli and others have been doing a great job in trying to save a lot of the work that has been done but I know first hand how much effort has to go into fixing a prefab after a new Alpha release so I can’t see it happening until we see the final or close to final product.

It’s good to hear that the devs want the same things as we do though. As far as the workshop goes at the least.

*snip* Now they target blocks specifically, always hit it when they try, and in conjunction with pathing, choose weaker blocks. That includes terrain blocks.

Interesting, so if you had a concrete base/wall on ground level with a dirt floor will the zeds just dig under your wall? And with the new pathing are they smart enough to dig a ramp/jump-able ledge to get back up into your base or will they just end up digging a pit to bedrock because they can't get back up?

Either way I'm up for the additional challenge.

Thanks faatal for the clarification :) I hope you can add digging zombies then. As long as they don't have a GPS to my location ;)

I think he was talking more along the lines of installing it into one of his current Let's Plays and then remove it from that world. Probably doable but not just using Spherreii's mod launcher alone.

Totally know you are being sarcastic. Which I fully approve, but it made me think.

And the answer would be:

No...it is not July somewhere. The months and how we measure time are purely an earth thing. If other planets (with 'intelligent life') have years and months it is based on how they travel around the sun. And it is doubtful they call any of those months July.

Thank you for the fun thought :)

That "Somewhere" must be somehow existentially outside the normal spacetime.

Since the earth only has a 24h cycle ;)

"Tentatively July" doesn't mention in which year.

Just sayin'.

My hype train just went limp.

Interesting, so if you had a concrete base/wall on ground level with a dirt floor will the zeds just dig under your wall?

This is a fair point, if the pathing is now 3d the easiest route may not necessarily be the most obvious. Apparently the zombies now have training in combat engineering, structural engineering and mining :-)

Interesting, so if you had a concrete base/wall on ground level with a dirt floor will the zeds just dig under your wall? And with the new pathing are they smart enough to dig a ramp/jump-able ledge to get back up into your base or will they just end up digging a pit to bedrock because they can't get back up?

Either way I'm up for the additional challenge.

I am not sure by any means, but I think that they could dig down to get past the concrete. So 3 or 4 blocks and then go horizontally. They are trying to get to you after all. Now if they can't go back up then they may mill about down there and make the area below your base unable to support a toothpick.

Added:

I also love the new changes to make nothing safe. I look forward to the current base designs being scrapped and what new ideas come to be.

This is a fair point, if the pathing is now 3d the easiest route may not necessarily be the most obvious. Apparently the zombies now have training in combat engineering, structural engineering and mining :-)

I am not sure by any means, but I think that they could dig down to get past the concrete. So 3 or 4 blocks and then go horizontally. They are trying to get to you after all. Now if they can't go back up then they may mill about down there and make the area below your base unable to support a toothpick.

Added:

I also love the new changes to make nothing safe. I look forward to the current base designs being scrapped and what new ideas come to be.

Fataal specifically said any digging zombies would only break blocks below them if their current target was mostly below them. Read the whole post. There is almost always good information in the last half of the post too.

Added:

They won't even start digging unless they have a clear route all of the way through due to the way a-star pathfinding works.

So... do the zombies have ground-penetrating radar as well as GPS?

Archived