Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

closer now then we were before you asked. :) ya been away for a while... hmmmm... wife let you out to play? :)

Naa just got bored of waiting so i found something else to do.

I was hoping they would of made the Minibike a 2 seater like (dumb and Dumber)

Which totally makes sense to me

But what do i know right?

At least they have proper Mocaptions now and pretty sweet vehicle system

i really wish the Zombies could be more random like we used to with the UMA's

BUt hey i get it....the program cant handle the lag...or wait maybe its all these Potatoes people play on too.

Will check back in 6 months again.

If we are going to have a rescue quest. I want a cut sean were we are running from at least two Behemoths and have to use Zip lines to escape over the hoard and down to an awaiting airship.

then as we are flying over we the atomic bombs dropped and see Madmole drop his bow over the side. ;)

I think it absolutely would be fun and challenging. Most players that have been playing in a world for a long time have a strong base that, through myriad means, counters a significant portion of the Blood Moon horde threat. Most players also have a minibike and know the lay of the land by that point, so they've become very efficient at looting supplies. To put it simply, they have a lot of stuff.

Throw that player in a new world with only a few prized possessions, and it's back to square one: you have no base, no map, and no stockpile. It'd definitely be more challenging than staying where you were. You're higher level, which means you can bounce back faster, but only to a point. You still need to find a wrench and get some mechanical parts before you can make a workbench, make yourself good new tools, etc. etc. You could bring a wrench with you, but that's the beauty of the toolbelt-only idea: you can get a leg up in a few areas you choose, but you can't cover all your bases.

Then consider that worlds could be progressively more challenging at higher levels. You could encounter things like all-snow worlds or mostly-water worlds: worlds that would be too challenging on Day 1 otherwise.

I'm not saying the gamestage needs to roll back to zero, but I do want to make the case that good balance would require stepping down the gamestage, as a kind of 'shock absorber' for all the extra things you'd be doing at the start.

Well that would be easy enough to try out simply by teleporting yourself to an area of the map you’ve never been and try starting over.

Well that would be easy enough to try out simply by teleporting yourself to an area of the map you’ve never been and try starting over.

This is a very good point. Maps are very big and it should be pretty easy to find a place far away and start over. Leave behind everything you don't want to take with you and that's it.

A year or so ago I was starting maps and then teleporting myself to the outer rim and starting there. That changes things a bit. :)

If you dont have anything at all, it would be pretty exciting if you never died. If you lived for 2 days you should be pretty save, but those first few game hours would be interesting. :)

But what I think part two will be, is ether:

1) Going back in time to try to stop the apocalypse. Most of the game is played in one huge city, with subways and sub-sub-subways. :)

2) Traveling various maps looking for clues and better gear (much better) because many creatures should be as strong as The Duke (how i see him) and a few are much stronger. Very heavily genetically modified people to the point of not looking remotely human.

Only option 2 would make airships valuable imo.

We had a plan in place to do this ages ago on our server. We set a day, had everyone take what they could on them and would then delete the world but save the profiles. Then we would start a new world, insert the older profiles and we had to find a new settlement to build up. We were going to do it in "Seasons" so every 30-60 days we would get a new map with new layouts.

We never actually did it but i can tell you it would work because we recently had to wipe a map to world errors and we reimported everyone with skills and inventory to it and our days reset to 1 on a new map. Some kind of game mode might be fun for something like this in MP but i dont ever expect it to be added. But it is entirely possible to achieve this now.

A server that I play on did this recently, but I wasn't aware that it was happening. I spawned into the world at the coordinates where my base used to be, only to find that I was drowning in the middle of a lake. I got to shore and checked out my map. There's some glitches in the player map. It appears to be showing the old map around the edges of the fog of war, then as I get closer to an area, it turns into the new map. Perhaps someone can develop a mod or macro to smooth out some of the glitches that come up when you port old player profiles into new worlds.

Do you have a rough ETA for when your mod will be available?

Before A17 Hopefully?

Dunno about A17, but I'm shooting for March, which likely means April. I'm past the learning curve in Blender and Unity, so I'm able to start cranking things out faster now. Really will depend on free time and work for me; I should be good. I finished all my city buildings, so need to make the rural ones, then the special poi's (gladiator pits, keeps, dungeons, etc) and the rest will fly after that.

- - - Updated - - -

These night vision goggles really suck. Can we get something better like thermal vision goggles??

Weren't they supposed to vary on suckiness depending on their quality level? I wonder if that ever became a thing; I don't use 'em so I dunno.

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance in A17 we can choose more than 64 zeds at a time on blood moon. I play coop with 1 person and both PC's can handle some more.

That's a REALLY simple xml edit.

You can edit the gamestages.xml but in the game menu the max is hardcoded at a max of 64 and will take precedance. Am I wrong?

The XML takes precedence. I'm pretty sure that all the menu option does it write to the XML file. And only when you actually click that setting.

Edit: Disclaimer - I've never actually tested this but I can't imagine it not working this way.

Dunno about A17, but I'm shooting for March, which likely means April. I'm past the learning curve in Blender and Unity, so I'm able to start cranking things out faster now. Really will depend on free time and work for me; I should be good. I finished all my city buildings, so need to make the rural ones, then the special poi's (gladiator pits, keeps, dungeons, etc) and the rest will fly after that.

I wish TFP would hire all you mod makers. Could you imagine the content that could be cranked out? Oh this game would be so badass!

I wish TFP would hire all you mod makers. Could you imagine the content that could be cranked out? Oh this game would be so badass!

While most of the skills transfer, mod makers don't work under the same constraints as game developers. It wouldn't be near the amount of additional content as you seem to think.

Actually, since they may not have enough time to mod on the side if they worked for TFP, the total amount of playable content would possibly go down.

Yeah. Say what you want but the U.S. is the only nation that put men on another world. Twelve to be exact.

But my point is that we would not have gotten that far if we simply gave up.

The help always seems to get left out when credit if given.

- - - Updated - - -

These night vision goggles really suck. Can we get something better like thermal vision goggles??

Weren't they supposed to vary on suckiness depending on their quality level? I wonder if that ever became a thing; I don't use 'em so I dunno.

On horde night if I have them I usually line a flat area with some torches and run around pumped up on alcohol bashing in heads with a spiked club. With some torches out the NVG's work really well.

Archived