Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

@Everyone

I don't see the point in liberally sprinkling "in my opinion" into posts because that would be the normal case and should be assumed.

Now we had a recent case where someone's view on artistic direction was obviously and irrefutably right and the developers were wrong. That is an edge case where you should point that fact out to readers so it's not mistaken for a mere opinion.

It wasn't about opinion, it was about what is easy or scary to you, which might not be easy or scary to someone else, especially normal players. This isn't self centered (@Menace312), it just means it is difficult for long time players to experience anything in the game like a new or "normal" player would experience them. (Your text also actually wasn't missing the words, my "fix" was just to illustrate that our situation is different to that of normal players).

Sorry, I mistook what you wrote as some sort of critique of not expressly stating my post as an opinion or something like that. :p

And I get the old versus new argument. Every major alpha release has felt like a new game to a point but I still carry with me everything I know about what hasn't changed, so I get it.

But still, A16 is way easier than A15 (in my opinion :p) because of the predictability of the overall game play. If you're observant at all then you won't stay a new player for long and you'll more easily notice the patterns as a new player than you would have as a new player during A15.

Maximum difficulty needs to be beyond challenging even for the old farts that have been playing for a long time. As long as the settings that make things more difficult can be adjusted down and default at a lower setting then I don't see the problem with having an 11 on the dial, so to speak.

There are a great many ways to do this but I'm hoping they move the game options into a "gameoptions.xml" file so we can more easily adjust things like difficulty settings to what makes sense for us. And if they also had the options menu in the game read from and react to changes in this file that would be ideal (especially for modders so they could add options to their mods that go into the game UI).

Now we had a recent case where someone's view on artistic direction was obviously and irrefutably right and the developers were wrong. That is an edge case where you should point that fact out to readers so it's not mistaken for a mere opinion.

Leveled loot confirmed gone in a17! =)

There are a great many ways to do this but I'm hoping they move the game options into a "gameoptions.xml" file so we can more easily adjust things like difficulty settings to what makes sense for us. And if they also had the options menu in the game read from and react to changes in this file that would be ideal (especially for modders so they could add options to their mods that go into the game UI).

Oh right, I forgot about difficulty settings when I wrote about the drawback of battery-powered night vision googles.

TFP could make NVGs limitless in easy setting, fairly long-running on normal and really on a short fuse on maximum difficulty. That would be a novel way to increase difficulty separate from increasing zombie hit points

Needless to say that while TFP is obviously wrong it will not change anything for ..hrmph.. undisclosed legal reasons even though they would want to follow that artistic direction with all their hearts. Damn, those lawyers ruin everything :smile-new:

Oh right, I forgot about difficulty settings when I wrote about the drawback of battery-powered night vision googles.

TFP could make NVGs limitless in easy setting, fairly long-running on normal and really on a short fuse on maximum difficulty. That would be a novel way to increase difficulty separate from increasing zombie hit points

Yeah, there are a lot of little tweaks they could do to scale things according to a master difficulty setting if they choose. After A17 they could even have skills and stats be affected by it. I'd like to see zombies get a speed adjustment based on difficulty level so at the higher difficulty settings there is no way you could outrun the zombies without the aid of a perk or something (better get a head start!).

wow I really narrow my ammo. once I can make 762's I roll with an AK and a hunting rifle. I struggle with the compound a tiny bit but enjoy it.I leave the sniper at home for the most part but I don't really PVP. That pistol though is something I strip for ammo sell the gun and the ammo.

Excellent idea from a simulation (and horror) aspect and I'm sure Roland would be pleased ;-).

There's a drawback though: NVGs are the equalizer that allows normal and inexperienced players to go out at night instead of hiding in their bunker. I've seen this tendency even with fairly experienced players who should be able to survive such encounters without NGVs with the right prepraration.

In other words, a realistically short timer would drive most players to an undesirable style of play bad for their enjoyment of the game. If TFP implements this, the timer should be fairly lax, like half a night or more, and the "interesting" settings should be kept for modders.

Good point, in short, if this thing become real it shouldn`t be running on our nerves, but to be implemented in a way to add new unexpected, but ..yea lets say it fun&scary experience to our dark hours. In a way to not accept it as a granted function that just help us have a walk in the night just like in a park full of rabbits. Even as a mod would be awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

We know, but I don't know when/if improvements may come.

Just don`t put mosquitoes into game. Hell exist between the 1 & 0s, too. I prefer wasteland for life.

I'm going to take a page from Crater's book because of my ketchup feast:

•  
  • I'm not a doubting Thomas. I'm a realistic Sebastian or maybe a cautiously hopeful Geoffrey

• Welcome back xiiMaRcLeoN! Are you living or undead?

• Book keeping can be done by the computer but there is no reason to keep day and time on the main play screen. That is definitely something that could be checked on the map page as needed. Even in real life I have to check the day and time on a device to remember when I am.

• The night vision goggles are way better than before. I can't believe anyone thinks they suck. I keep my gamma low so I appreciate the edge they give me when I find them and since they actually work in A16 that's a bonus. Of course, until zombie AI/ player stealth gets fixed, they aren't really necessary since crouching in the dark makes you invisible. I have to agree with Mah, that nights are no longer scary due to the limitations of the current zombie AI and the OP status of player stealth. THEY CAN'T SEE YOU, SMELL YOU, OR HEAR YOU AT NIGHT if you do not carry a light. (except in Ravenhearst. They see you and they whisper it to you and that is scary and freaky)...

• >COUGH< You're welcome >COUGH<

• Flintstone's Blimp Subs FTW

• @Gazz: Really, i dont need to flame with you, but ALL you have wrote is for me insignificant and out of topic. The problem is only one: Have i the permission to criticize what in my opinion IS aesthetically a failure in this game or as soon as i express this opinion someone like you appears to give me lesson on what is aesthetical and what is not, and on what is the true sense of life? Really, your post bored me.

• Pure leveled loot has never existed in this game. The hybrid system is more leveled probability tables. If they add POI specific loot based on difficulty then it would be perfect but they don't have to replace what we have.

• The night time issue is NOT an issue of opinion about difficulty. Night time is broken right now and will be fixed. Right now there is no reason to stay inside at night. In the future when stealth and AI are fixed it will be risky again and therefore scary again to go out at night. Play vanilla and run around at night and then play Ravenhearst and run around at night and you will know the difference between "not scary" and "scary".

• Please faatal, no "if" when it comes to future water improvement. We only want "when"

Please note that the above are absolute irrevocable universal independently objective truths. Any implied or explicitly stated occurrences of the phrases "to me", "for me", or "in my opinion" were either accidental or a placation device.

Archived