Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Hate to tell you this but there are no squirrels in 7D2D. But magic and dark matter may be good options. Haha.

Any chance that you might change your mind about making it bigger so it would handle like a ship?

That would be so cool. It has a different feel to it, you know what I mean?

Guess bunnies will do.

The bigger it gets, the more problems there may be with collisions, placement and such. Hopefully we would find a good middle ground.

999 out of 1000 people without prior experience/training would crash any sort of copter with in minutes(most seconds) of taking off.

999 out of 1000 people reading these forums wouldn’t live longer than a few minutes of a zombie apocalypse.

999 out of 1000 people couldn’t fashion clothes from grass that would be functional for more than a few minutes.

999 out of 1000 people couldn’t craft 200 arrows while simultaneously chopping down trees using a stone axe made from rocks twigs and grass— not even for a few minutes.

999 out of 1000 people can’t fit nor carry a stack of 64 1 meter concrete blocks in their backpacks.

Obviously our avatar is that one person who can do it all—even fly a gyrocopter unassisted by computer controlled stabilizers.

Yeah but some people like broken outdated concepts because of nostalgia or something. F.E., Sharp sticks, broken menus. I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm. OMG these zombies aren't getting stuck on stuff, fix it!!! We like the ones that spin circles and can't reach the player 90% of the time.

Not everything that is newer is better... the Titanic was _new_.

Guess bunnies will do.

The bigger it gets, the more problems there may be with collisions, placement and such. Hopefully we would find a good middle ground.

I'm sure you could with 27 years under your belt. :)

Building the jeep was a vast improvement to the mini bike. That and the speed from start to finish was much faster to.

Is a matter of fact, you made it look easy.

What you need is a challenge. You up for it?

Yeah but some people like broken outdated concepts because of nostalgia or something. F.E., Sharp sticks, broken menus. I imagine some will even complain when they see the new pathing algorithm. OMG these zombies aren't getting stuck on stuff, fix it!!! We like the ones that spin circles and can't reach the player 90% of the time.

Thanks for the updates, MM. New pathing, working vehicles, Roland hinted about the quests, and a huge list on the first page.... With all of this, and the fact that you and a few other devs actually have some time to frequent the forum, I am suspecting experimental isn't too far away. Just keep up with the awesome improvements and surprise us soon, please.

@ faatal:

Thanks for all of your input and info, I can wait to wreck my jeep.

They also made the Titanic II. Not sure I will take a trip on that one either. Now it has all of the bells and whistles of new technology and hopefully not any parts of the old plagued one.

If I had a dollar for every "ideas man" who has a bit of cash and wants to build a mobile app that will "re-invent social media" I'd be as rich as Zuckerberg.

Eating forum ketchup.. my goodness y'all are certainly chatty this weekend! I'm blaming faatal :p (welcome)

So we have Roland with his ziplines,

Ouch's coughing lips,

Janna loves her coloring books

and Joe's got some good tips.

But who would've ever dreamed,

in all these forum pages,

Aldranon just got airships..

OMG that's so outrageous!

(congrats)

I meant that it looks great and works great like the console menus. The old menus had paging problems, and bugs that were hard to work out, as well as were visually mismatched from all the great work that went into developing the console menus. One more sharp stick removed is a good step. You'll see that when you start to play and notice all the improved menu controls.

Thanks for the menu info, looking forward to seeing more. I'm imagining better performance when you say 'works great'? :)

Al might be pitching a tent over this right now but remember that the idea itself needs to be pitched to the owners. Faatal called it an experiment. I let myself get too excited over ziplines. Cautious optimism is needed here.

I'd be very surprised if someone doesn't mod one in. The idea has become popular among the community and with luck it shouldn't be particularly hard to implement under the new vehicle system.

the pimp team has been adding better and more support for modders that when its all done. the modders can do the crazy stuff while the pimps do the important stuff that they want to do and need to do. imagination will be the limit.

and as you have surmised Gronk... faatal has shown the ground works is there.

so let the doubting thomas' keep on doubting :)

the pimp team has been adding better and more support for modders that when its all done. the modders can do the crazy stuff while the pimps do the important stuff that they want to do and need to do. imagination will be the limit.

and as you have surmised Gronk... faatal has shown the ground works is there.

so let the doubting thomas' keep on doubting :)

You would think that his buddy Albert Einstein would help him out.

I take my words back. Just remind him to change or charge the batteries before flight.

It was a combustion engine model. The real deal. ;)

And the best I can do is make sure it does not fly realistically because very few people would get that thing off the ground... without plowing right back into it 20 seconds later.

999 out of 1000 people reading these forums wouldn’t live longer than a few minutes of a zombie apocalypse.

999 out of 1000 people couldn’t fashion clothes from grass that would be functional for more than a few minutes.

999 out of 1000 people couldn’t craft 200 arrows while simultaneously chopping down trees using a stone axe made from rocks twigs and grass— not even for a few minutes.

999 out of 1000 people can’t fit nor carry a stack of 64 1 meter concrete blocks in their backpacks.

Obviously our avatar is that one person who can do it all—even fly a gyrocopter unassisted by computer controlled stabilizers.

A helicopter pilot told me it was sometimes like juggling and riding a bike at the same time. Also there is a zone just above ground where the physics plays hell with not crashing. I saw them hovering in that zone many times just to get the feel of it.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is what he was talking about, but there is something called a "Vortex ring state". That would kill people that didn't know what was happening.

A helicopter pilot told me it was sometimes like juggling and riding a bile at the same time. Also there is a zone just above ground where the physics plays hell with not crashing. I saw them hovering in that zone many times just to get the feel of it.

You don't even have to be off the ground, or anywhere near it, for a helicopter to explode. It's as though they know they're an abomination to physics and wish to end their torturous existence.

From the wiki -

"The vortex ring state, also known as settling with power, is a dangerous condition that may arise in helicopter flight, when a vortex ring system engulfs the rotor causing severe loss of lift.

Essentially, the helicopter descends into its own downwash. When the condition arises, increasing the rotor power merely feeds the vortex motion without generating additional lift"

The Wright brothers weren't the first men to fly, they were the first to survive the landing :-)

:)

I can see it in cave man days:

Grok: Grok wants to fly, fly like bird!

Alok: Hmm <Pushes Grok off cliff> No... well maybe. Let me see if Thorak want to fly too!

Archived