Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

The similarities between Empyrion and 7D2D are very close. This is a good news bad news thing.

Good: 7D2D has been copied because the idea is great. "Tech/Perk progression are also similar.

Bad: Both games suffer from a "and then what?". Both have no intelligent progression yet. Spamming more bullet sponges at your fort is fun for awhile as are the endless drones that can attack in Empyrion. In Empyrion you can stop the attacks by attacking the drone base (not easy).

Empyrion has a few more dimensions than 7D2D besides space battles and travel. The environmental hazards are deadly and planet side assault of POI's is a two step, first subdue the enemy's outer defenses with a very strong vehicle then enter ready for a fight of your life. Also nighttime has more threats and daytime you never know if a predator will attack or not, I jump sometimes.

So about this thermal goggles thing, somebody said that z's are cold because they're undead. BUT when zombies have fully functioning muscles, they MUST produce heat. That is simple. So these binoculars should be real, my dad is also doctor and i speculated with him about this. When brain controls body, there is no way that corpus could get cold.

So about this thermal goggles thing, somebody said that z's are cold because they're undead. BUT when zombies have fully functioning muscles, they MUST produce heat. That is simple. So these binoculars should be real, my dad is also doctor and i speculated with him about this. When brain controls body, there is no way that corpus could get cold.

Don`t worry they are warm. Lack of brain activity does not mean brain is not working, only its concious is out. So, all systems are still funcioning (more or less).

Some day real life could give us the answer ;)

It's magic.

So snakes can't move? You don't have to be warm blooded to be able to move. Snake's move quite nicely and barely show up in thermal images because they stay pretty near the ambient temp.

The argument about decaying flesh producing heat may be valid but just because a muscle moves doesn't mean it has to generate heat or at least enough heat to show up against the background ambient temperature.

Sick maybe...

But is it really worse than killing, skinning and then eating it???

Well, the difference is not really big, but yes, killing just for fun beats killing to provide food on the sickness scale (if sickness is applicable, most people accept animals as food providers). The former just puts us back on the same level as animals (specifically predators), the latter is a category of its own.

All muscles, even those of cold-blooded creatures, produce an endothermic reaction which is visible (to a greater or lesser extent) with thermal imaging.

I would imagine (since there's no way of getting empirical evidence) that the major changes wrought to a zombie's body by the infection appear to allow them to function with most of the basic biological systems disabled. This would significantly decrease the overall amount of heat produced by the body. It's hard to say that a zombie's digestive system is producing a significant amount of heat when it left its lower intestine hanging from a bush two miles away.

Given the generally slow movement rate of a zombie combined with a lack of other endothermic reactions inside the body a zombie would show up on a thermal imaging device although it would likely blend into the background far better than a living human.

^ The snake can be seen but it's far less obvious than the warm target.

^ "Endothermic" actions :-)

So snakes can't move? You don't have to be warm blooded to be able to move. Snake's move quite nicely and barely show up in thermal images because they stay pretty near the ambient temp.

The important word is "barely". They don't need to heat their blood to a specific temperature (this explains the difference), but the muscles still produce heat.

I have it and want to like it, but each time I try to play it, the crash landing and wandering around a bit is cool and then in an hour or two it becomes "what am I doing?" and I lose interest.

Ha, your only saying that because you want people to forget about that game and play 7D2D don't you.

The important word is "barely". They don't need to heat their blood to a specific temperature (this explains the difference), but the muscles still produce heat.

Look at the video The Gronk linked and then imagine trying to pick that snake out of the heat signatures a bunch of vegetation would also produce. That is how I imagine a zombie would show up thermal. I realize this is all make believe but that is the way I've always thought of it. So, yes, zombies would show up in thermal images. Hell, a piece of ice shows up. But, I believe they would show up so poorly that the current night vision would be better than thermal.

Bestiality is sick! You have weird friends!

Don't knock it until you try it?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the difference is not really big, but yes, killing just for fun beats killing to provide food on the sickness scale (if sickness is applicable, most people accept animals as food providers). The former just puts us back on the same level as animals (specifically predators), the latter is a category of its own.

What if you kill it first and then ?... nevermind. My brain has no socially acceptable filter most of the time with the things I think and say. :p

But, I believe they would show up so poorly that the current night vision would be better than thermal.

No contest from me on that part. NVGs are simply better because a lamp post (and other non-living matter) is visible on them and I don't want to continually hit lamp posts.

What if you kill it first and then ?... nevermind. My brain has no socially acceptable filter most of the time with the things I think and say. :p

You mean the thrill hunter eats his prey even if he has no hunger just to climb a step on the evolution scale? Sounds more like a neurotic disorder :smile-new:

My only hope for this alpha version is a more agile/smart kind of zombie, is amazingly horrifying how boring this game gets once you realize you can fool the zombies by making a base deep down or deep high the ground level.

Or the simply fact that most of the times they wont even get into your base after bringing down the door (they just keep hitting walls) or not climbing stair at all, or not even chasing you at all. :miserable:

The rest of the additions are really just that to me, additions.

Archived