Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

TFP probably won't do it. They want you to play the game instead of play the AI system. But i'm sure we'll have bunch of guys performing all kinds of tests and posting their findings on the forums.

Yeh. And his name will be Tin. =)

>.> Probably :D

GAME FEATURES:

Explore

Craft

Build

Cooperate or Compete

Create

Improve

Choose

Combat

Survive

Destroy (this is missing)

Loot

Quest

Customize

Drive

Farm or Hunt

What are you talking about? The entire world is 100% destructible.

Missing? That feature was in from the very beginning the moment they made the decision to go voxel. Questing, Customizing, Driving, Farming, and Hunting are all less developed than Destroying if you ask me...

Whats the chances of A17 having a new spawn mechanic that lets us not have to do the sleeping bag thing....It just seems like a huge bandaid for a for a system that cant be meant as the final product..right?

Likely, there needs to be a timer when a prefab's sleepers trigger. It shouldn't allow sleepers to spawn in the same prefab for a certain amount of time, and also should not allow sleepers to respawn while the player remains in the prefab (or within a certain distance). This shouldn't just apply to sleepers you killed, but also to the ones that did not get triggered to spawn when you entered.

Hello Funpeeps,

can you change that distance view of objects? I've teared down an entire village and rebuild it, but when i move away from it, it complete change back to the village it looks like before. Also buildings i created pop up first when im pretty close to it (200m). It looks even more worse when i come to my village what change his look when i come closer or move, it is confusing and looks just sh***... erm not good!

Cmon Funpimps, you can do this better.

Regards

Yes, it looks absolutely crappy... I have demolished 2 skycrapsers and from distance they are still there... sux...

Also, are you guys working on air floating partially demolished buildings, blocks sometimes fall down once touched, not before that...

We just barely got the first version of distant buildings so it is not in it's final form yet. Madmole has said that they will do their best to make distant terrain sync better with actual current terrain but in this first version it is all based off of the initial load of the world so changes will not show up. There are still plans in the works for the distant terrain feature so hopefully some of these problems will be fixed.

Floating partial structures will probably not get fixed until beta once optimization happen. Right now if falling debris will overwhelm your system then it doesn't happen.

What are you talking about? The entire world is 100% destructible.

Missing? That feature was in from the very beginning the moment they made the decision to go voxel. Questing, Customizing, Driving, Farming, and Hunting are all less developed than Destroying if you ask me...

I think the issue they have is that larger buildings will stop collapsing at some point if you take out the lower level. This leaves the upper levels of the building suspended in mid-air. It's like the game engine just gives up on calculating the results of a large collapse. Maybe too many different parts are trying to calculate at the same time and it can't resolve them.

Edit: Nevermind, it looks like you addressed this in your next post.

7th day night

I notice whenever playing on a multiplayer server that the bulk of players log out of 7th night, due to this I started thinking how the players who stay on and fight could be rewarded without penalizing those who choose to just log off for the night. What I have come up with is the idea of a possible buff that would last 2-3 days which would grant extra XP; the only way to recieve said buff would be to live through the entire horde night. My other idea which would help localize the reward to those who actually fight the zombies would be to just make the xp gained from horde night zombies expotentially higher than what you get normally through zombie killing... anywho , just thought I would put it out there to see what others think of the idea.

Perhaps they could get points that the players that leave don't get....by killing a metric crap ton of zombies.

Just sayin'

*le poof*

To avoid getting TOO technical. Basically items no longer use Attributes like they used to. They are now called passive effects. These effects were in turn expanded to allow usage in buffs and player progression.

These values are now housed inside min_effects which allows custom var tracking (per entity, not global). With that ALL min event entries also contain event triggers when various things happen in the game engine such as doing damage to an entity or taking damage. For each of these events there are many actions that can be performed such as changing a custom variable value, stopping/starting sounds, screen effects, move speed, jump ability, skill level adjustments and much more.

On items, the passives and triggers only fire if worn or held to keep things from going crazy.

So now we can have cooler effects and much more granular buffs all with much better performance and nearly 0 garbage collection out of these systems.

I don't want to spoil too much. Let's just say these newly redesigned systems are going to allow us to do much much more to affect the player, both good and bad. :D

Can anyone translate this into human language? Roland, can it be you as a savior? )

@Orsey,

Special items like legendary weapons, tools and gear will recalculate your base skills in positive and/or negative ways if you are wearing or holding the item.

In the case of Gazz, "Boots of Speed" will be too powerful for him and break his ankles......I think that's what he meant....

how about a story mode for two player on ps4?

Its an open world the story is what you make it but i do believe there is going to be some sort of a 'story' for navezgane map involving 'The duke' or something to that extent and it won't just be for PS4 but for everyone and on that map only not random gen.

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone? :)

Its an open world the story is what you make it but i do believe there is going to be some sort of a 'story' for navezgane map involving 'The duke' or something to that extent and it won't just be for PS4 but for everyone and on that map only not random gen.

Correct me if i'm wrong anyone? :)

Not completely wrong but with that said console may not see this depending on the console limitations. It will be some time before anyone finds out because of the delay between pc and console but it is something console will have to wait and see. Good to think about but not get hopes up until it happens.

@Orsey,

Special items like legendary weapons, tools and gear will recalculate your base skills in positive and/or negative ways if you are wearing or holding the item.

In the case of Gazz, "Boots of Speed" will be too powerful for him and break his ankles......I think that's what he meant....

Thank you. You pushed me in to the right direction) Now I can record a news video for my subscribers at YT. :fat:

Whats the chances of A17 having a new spawn mechanic that lets us not have to do the sleeping bag thing....It just seems like a huge bandaid for a for a system that cant be meant as the final product..right?

I hope the final system is just a number for each map segment/cell/chunk, indicating zombie population in each area. New zombies come from the map edges each day and some migrate to other map cells/chucks. Sort of a "Brownian motion" on a large scale. :)

With this you CAN clear out an area for a while. An area near the center would be the easiest to try and keep safe and make a village for friendly NPC's.

I hope the final system is just a number for each map segment/cell/chunk, indicating zombie population in each area. New zombies come from the map edges each day and some migrate to other map cells/chucks. Sort of a "Brownian motion" on a large scale. :)

With this you CAN clear out an area for a while. An area near the center would be the easiest to try and keep safe and make a village for friendly NPC's.

With the current sleeper mechanic i don't see that happening but we can hope. I'd love for there to be more wandering zombies outside like there used to be.

We just barely got the first version of distant buildings so it is not in it's final form yet. Madmole has said that they will do their best to make distant terrain sync better with actual current terrain but in this first version it is all based off of the initial load of the world so changes will not show up. There are still plans in the works for the distant terrain feature so hopefully some of these problems will be fixed.

How much would I love that to happen? unimaginable

How much faith do I have for that to happen? maybe not that much

With the current sleeper mechanic i don't see that happening but we can hope. I'd love for there to be more wandering zombies outside like there used to be.

The program would just subtract x number from one cell then add it to an adjacent cell that's closer to the center. When you are in a cell, it can compute the likelihood of a sleeper depending on how many zombies are in that cell. You might notice a migration if the event is coded in and the numbers are large which they don't have to be.

Maybe there would be some major event happen if enough zombies reach the center. Maybe THAT is when you start seeing ferials and radiated zombies. :)

is there a timeline/deadline included for the upgrades?

yes, OMG if you didnt get the latest and greatest then you have to uninstalled at once. :)

S E R I O U S L Y tho, just foolin' around. the answer is no, there isnt a time limit. you can play any of the builds shown in the steam download. but if you connect to a server that has a different build then you need to match it.

as for timelines... the fun pimps do not and will not give out any dates anymore as people totally freak out if the date is missed by 5 minutes.

hope that answers your question if that is what you were after. :)

Archived