Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

What would you like to see from the work on pathfinding? A page of code? A navmesh? Trust me, they aren't nearly as exciting as they sound.

Heh, I guess I'm one the few that would love to see a demonstration of new pathfinding being done and a explanation of how they made it :D

Checking out some mods something incredibly obvious hit me in the face.

Where are the plastic bottles here? Do you think maybe we could see water shifted to futaristic biodegradable plastic insead of having to drink out of glass jars?

In the near future, society switches to biodegradable plastic bottles, but conspiracy theorists think they contain autism, so some people switch to using glass jars for everything. The biodegradable plastic bottles... biodegraded... not long after the apocalypse. Now only the glass jars are left. You're welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

I notice whenever playing on a multiplayer server that the bulk of players log out of 7th night, due to this I started thinking how the players who stay on and fight could be rewarded without penalizing those who choose to just log off for the night. What I have come up with is the idea of a possible buff that would last 2-3 days which would grant extra XP; the only way to recieve said buff would be to live through the entire horde night. My other idea which would help localize the reward to those who actually fight the zombies would be to just make the xp gained from horde night zombies expotentially higher than what you get normally through zombie killing... anywho , just thought I would put it out there to see what others think of the idea.

I'm glad you don't want to punish the folks who log out. Yesterday, I had to log out of a server just as the sky was turning red, because it was legitimately time to go get my kid from school. Not everyone is just being a weenie when they log out for horde night. I actually came back later to find that everyone else had logged out and I was alone against the horde.

I like the idea of some sort of buff for surviving the night. What if there was an XP multiplier when you make a lot of kills in a short period of time? I used to play Fable, and it had a system where you had an XP multiplier that keeps getting higher as you land more hits in a row. Getting hurt or delaying between kills would push it back down.

In the near future, society switches to biodegradable plastic bottles, but conspiracy theorists think they contain autism, so some people switch to using glass jars for everything. The biodegradable plastic bottles... biodegraded... not long after the apocalypse. Now only the glass jars are left. You're welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad you don't want to punish the folks who log out. Yesterday, I had to log out of a server just as the sky was turning red, because it was legitimately time to go get my kid from school. Not everyone is just being a weenie when they log out for horde night. I actually came back later to find that everyone else had logged out and I was alone against the horde.

I like the idea of some sort of buff for surviving the night. What if there was an XP multiplier when you make a lot of kills in a short period of time? I used to play Fable, and it had a system where you had an XP multiplier that keeps getting higher as you land more hits in a row. Getting hurt or delaying between kills would push it back down.

I was playing yesterday for the first time in ages, i too logged out as i was on day one (but game was on day 91) and had nothing no way am i fighting untill i've had my 7 days prep.

What would you like to see from the work on pathfinding? A page of code? A navmesh? Trust me, they aren't nearly as exciting as they sound.

Sure, it does not look interesting. However, not mentioning anything at all about these topics is making me wonder if/how much they are working on it...

Sure, it does not look interesting. However, not mentioning anything at all about these topics is making me wonder if/how much they are working on it...

Going by what MM and Roland have said if it's not on the first page of this thread it's probably still in development or indeed they have not started yet (but i find not have started yet unlikely due to the extra staff they have taken on...or maybe that is the reason why, getting them up to speed and what not).

Glass jars vs plastic... Is this really what is focused on now??!!??

What about the really real issues the game is facing right now?

Like: SI, electrical system, AI, collisions... The list goes on...

Sure! We are in alpha... But that should only help you to keep perspective! This is a non issue...

Oh, and then there's this:

+1!

So you want to have the 106th conversation about AI and pathing, which will ultimately go nowhere, instead of a NEW discussion we have not had in awhile if ever?

Plastic bottles could be a good idea. They can be melted into plastic which MAYBE we can see as a new material for the forge? Opens the door to new recipes and items. Like Roland said perhaps when they get further down the road, but if not then it can be a good idea for a modder to take up and do something with. It would also come with the benefit that you couldn't just throw it on a fire. You would NEED purifying tablets of some sort or even charcoal to make it something you could use.

Plastic bottles could be a good idea. They can be melted into plastic which MAYBE we can see as a new material for the forge? Opens the door to new recipes and items. Like Roland said perhaps when they get further down the road, but if not then it can be a good idea for a modder to take up and do something with. It would also come with the benefit that you couldn't just throw it on a fire. You would NEED purifying tablets of some sort or even charcoal to make it something you could use.

I would think plastic is more likely to be manipulated with the chemistry station. The high heat of the forge would just destroy the plastics. :p

I'm hoping they add upgrades to the other workstations like they do with forges to support these kinds of things (or at least provide an easier method of doing so in the XML for modders). More find/learn/expand crafting stations/create kind of things.

So you want to have the 106th conversation about AI and pathing, which will ultimately go nowhere, instead of a NEW discussion we have not had in awhile if ever?

More of a campfire melting than a forge one, 350f will do it and more could burn and carbonize it.

But what would do with a blob of plastic? I suppose you could pour it on things you wanted water proofed or even air tighten doors if environmental hazards become a danger. Armor?

Haha. Go back to the first post of this thread. Madmoles' theme this time is to say nothing until it's ready. Then look at the list that is done so far. The read Kinyaajus "la poof" post a few pages back.....a lot is being worked on. Be patient Grasshopper..... :)

I would think plastic is more likely to be manipulated with the chemistry station. The high heat of the forge would just destroy the plastics. :p

I'm hoping they add upgrades to the other workstations like they do with forges to support these kinds of things (or at least provide an easier method of doing so in the XML for modders). More find/learn/expand crafting stations/create kind of things.

Yeah, chem station fun would be the thing. Insulate wires, air tighten doors, harden leather armor?

With pumps you could make airlocks with a set of two doors. Seal contaminated areas or an underwater adventure even!

Hello Funpeeps,

can you change that distance view of objects? I've teared down an entire village and rebuild it, but when i move away from it, it complete change back to the village it looks like before. Also buildings i created pop up first when im pretty close to it (200m). It looks even more worse when i come to my village what change his look when i come closer or move, it is confusing and looks just sh***... erm not good!

Cmon Funpimps, you can do this better.

Regards

Hello Funpeeps,

can you change that distance view of objects? I've teared down an entire village and rebuild it, but when i move away from it, it complete change back to the village it looks like before. Also buildings i created pop up first when im pretty close to it (200m). It looks even more worse when i come to my village what change his look when i come closer or move, it is confusing and looks just sh***... erm not good!

Regards

Yes, it looks absolutely crappy... I have demolished 2 skycrapsers and from distance they are still there... sux...

Also, are you guys working on air floating partially demolished buildings, blocks sometimes fall down once touched, not before that...

Hello Funpeeps,

Regards

GAME FEATURES:

Explore

Craft

Build

Cooperate or Compete

Create

Improve

Choose

Combat

Survive

Destroy (this is missing)

Loot

Quest

Customize

Drive

Farm or Hunt

I'm glad TFP have stated that they will focus..

*sees image of remodeled bathtub*

..on enemy AI/pathing..

*sees image of remodeled stag*

..and bandits..

*sees image of schoolbus*

... Wait, what?

Some of that is moving away from UMA I believe. The bathtub is likely part of a quest line. It sounds like Alpha 17 is going to focus on story/quest mechanics. With this, new prefabs are added, and certain things are overhauled. That school bus you see is going to be part of a junkyard where a trader of a particular faction lives for instance.

GAME FEATURES:

Explore

Craft

Build

Cooperate or Compete

Create

Improve

Choose

Combat

Survive

Destroy (this is missing)

Loot

Quest

Customize

Drive

Farm or Hunt

I don't know much about the 7DTD engine, but I can tell you that doing this may be harder than it sounds, and likely will cause more harm than good for now. These buildings probably exist as part of the chunk. The distant POIs are likely just low poly copies of that chunk. Regenerating them is no different from regenerating a chunk. Regenerating a chunk can take several seconds depending on the size/complexity of the chunk. Distant POIs are likely to never be real time. You may get dynamic ones in the future, but you will never be able to see the changes in real time.

Heh, I guess I'm one the few that would love to see a demonstration of new pathfinding being done and a explanation of how they made it :D

TFP probably won't do it. They want you to play the game instead of play the AI system. But i'm sure we'll have bunch of guys performing all kinds of tests and posting their findings on the forums.

Archived