Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Uninstalled a 17, went back to A16. A17 killed the server I was on. Everyone quit playing and went to A16 servers. A17 is just a huge mess. I can live without the 4X4 or motorbike. A16 seems a ton more realistic since you have to build the components then build the bike. Plus you had to find information that told you HOW to build a minibike. This new A17 pretty much removed everything I enjoyed about a16 including looting zombies. Was like Christmas morning after every blood moon. Now zombie loot it so scarce, no one wants to play anymore.

The old mechanics of hitting harder with higher levels is sorely missed, now all the item level does is increase durability. This last update is a massive step backwards. Most everyone I played with before was so disgusted with it, they just quit. Some went to A16 servers, but the universal constant is no one likes A17 in ANY of it's various forms. Will Fun Pimps listen?? Nope! Too arrogant and stupid to realize they are destroying any chance of anyone buying this steaming pile of doo doo once it leaves it's never ending Alpha state.

You are mistaken about higher level guns not hitting harder. Higher level guns have more mod slots. Each mod slot filled increases your damage, no matter what mod is put in. So not only do higher level guns do more damage they also give you the mods ability.

Uh, quite the opposite actually. In A17 now everything is virtually handed to you on a silver platter except for one or two things like beakers. You can now craft virtually anything (Which will change in the upcoming updates...Thankfully). There is no longer reliance on RNG which indeed made it more survival like in the past.

There are so many things that could have been cool like for example finding a broken down car in the wild and having an ability to fix it and then use it. this makes far more sense than "Making" one. Of course cars are very common to see in the game, so to balance this, you would rarely find a working car that did not require you to fix it. This would give you two paths to get a car - Either fix a broken car (Plenty of those going around) OR win the RNG lotto and find one that still works. The latter would give a sense of reward for exploring. The former would be a fall-back option if RNG screwed you and you couldn't locate a working one. Fixing a car would effectively cost the same materials as "crafting" one does currently.

I don't know what this nostalgia about A16 is. I had every book and gun found in by the end of the first week or two tops in A16. At best your gratification was delayed by a few days. Is that really worth pining over?

You're running the risk of a negative feedback loop for new players.

1. Get trader quest.

2. Die on the way to the trader.

3. Respawn miles away in a completely unknown place because you have no bedroll down.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 several times until frustrated.

5. Quit.

I don't think survival type games are for the kind of people who would quit after a first death or three. The allure of survival games is figuring things out from what I read of other peoples opinions of them. Of course you are going to have people rage quit who are not into that type of experience.

You are mistaken about higher level guns not hitting harder. Higher level guns have more mod slots. Each mod slot filled increases your damage, no matter what mod is put in. So not only do higher level guns do more damage they also give you the mods ability.

You're missing the point. A higher quality level weapon or tool should perform better than a lower quality one. Mods should do unique things, not add x% damage.

Personally, I think that since traders now play a much bigger part of the game the starter quests should be re-ordered. The Trader quest should come before the Frame and Campfire quests.

Instead of encouraging you to start a base and then leave it to go off and find a trader which could be miles away, it should send you to the trader first and then encourage you to start a base nearby.

Agreed! I can't recall ever going back to the campfire and upgraded frames in a17, and rarely even in a16. First day one priority is to get to the trader and see whats working there.

I'd even go further and take out the frame and campfire tasks completely... I need those points the first day for cooking, and survival.

Maybe split the reward points for everything up to the frames and campfire, and then reward the rest for the frames and campfire?

On our typical day one playthrough now we get out points, spend them, get to the trader, see who's trader is best if they are different, and then koin up and find some place to spend the first night. The frames and campfire quest would be more worthwhile being built where we are actually spending the night, instead of getting more resources to make them a second time.

You're missing the point. A higher quality level weapon or tool should perform better than a lower quality one. Mods should do unique things, not add x% damage.

If you don't like the mod system as it is that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't say the higher quality weapon isn't any better better or doesn't do more damage than a low quality one because it is and it does.

just wanted to say I agree 100%

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't like the mod system as it is that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion. Just don't say the higher quality weapon isn't any better better or doesn't do more damage than a low quality one because it is and it does.

Semantics, and you understand the point he was making lol. A higher quality weapon does, in fact, not do anymore damage than a lower quality weapon. A higher quality weapon has the potential to do more damage than a lower quality weapon due to the extra mod slots.

There is truth in jokes: "Guns don't kill people... it's the bullets".

Unless the firearm has a hole in the barrel or the rifling is shot to hell, then a newer gun will not do more damage.

The longer barrel might cause more damage and a full choke will cause more shot to hit the target, but everything else is game stuff.

Now some special Ammo can make a serious change in damage.

I go to a hardware store and buy a cheap hammer expecting it to last 1 year before the handle breaks. I look at the expensive hammer and know it will last a lot longer. That is the mentality I take to this alpha and it works for me.

Adding paint to a gun to make it stronger makes no sense BUT adding a layer of paint to the Ice breaker on an arctic explorer ship makes it stronger, so why not add a lick of Jotun paint on your club for increased durability/increases the hardness of the club? It works IRL.

Personally I don't see a difference. The next update could just as well be "Anxious Squirrel".

There USED to be a difference. Young developers, self funded start ups and Early Access all but destroyed that structure. At one point build numbers meant the difference between hotfixes or major changes.

Now in todays climate they are meaningless.

EDIT- Should clarify this is for the public. Internally one would hope build numbers still have structure.

I go to a hardware store and buy a cheap hammer expecting it to last 1 year before the handle breaks. I look at the expensive hammer and know it will last a lot longer. That is the mentality I take to this alpha and it works for me.

Adding paint to a gun to make it stronger makes no sense BUT adding a layer of paint to the Ice breaker on an arctic explorer ship makes it stronger, so why not add a lick of Jotun paint on your club for increased durability/increases the hardness of the club? It works IRL.

I try not to assimilate realism into my thought process when it comes to games. It just opens a topic that no one wants to discuss. If we want realism, remove: zombies, stacking 6000 would in a backpack, etc.

I get the point you are making, I just think basing the game off realism is bad road to go down. We (me included) tend to only use the realism argument when it's in our favor, and dismiss it when it's not. That's why I stay away from it.

- - - Updated - - -

Semantics, and you understand the point he was making lol. A higher quality weapon does, in fact, not do anymore damage than a lower quality weapon. A higher quality weapon has the potential to do more damage than a lower quality weapon due to the extra mod slots.

I understand the point perfectly. "A higher quality weapon should perform better than a lower quality one does." I agree and they do when modded. I think the counter argument is the one arguing semantics. You can have an opinion that you find it more fun to find a weapon that's better with no mods and that is fair enough but a Q6 gun is objectively better than a Q1 one.

I'm not arguing against your personal sensibilities, I'm arguing against the point that weapon quality is useless in A17 which seemed to be the main point of the discussion.

I understand the point perfectly. "A higher quality weapon should perform better than a lower quality one does." I agree and they do when modded. I think the counter argument is the one arguing semantics. You can have an opinion that you find it more fun to find a weapon that's better with no mods and that is fair enough but a Q6 gun is objectively better than a Q1 one.

I'm not arguing against your personal sensibilities, I'm arguing against the point that weapon quality is useless in A17 which seemed to be the main point of the discussion.

Higher qulity = less repairs needed

If they fixing water together with RWG, I will sacrifice my first born to them.

(high hopes though - water has been the bane to my eyes since the dawn of days)

Madmole recently said one of the reasons raised bridges were being used is because of clipping issues with water. If water has clipping issues with blocks then I find it doubtful that water has had a major physics overhaul.

I didn't argue for or against it to be honest. I do think that a higher quality weapon should perform better without mods, however, I never argued that. Nor have I said that higher tier weapons are worthless. I stated the fact without mods, they produce the exact damage. I have argued nothing more than that, in fact, I argued that the higher tier weapon has the potential to be better.

That was it.

- - - Updated - - -

Higher qulity = less repairs needed

I've found that the repairs are less frequent, however in the long run use the same amount of repair kits. I repair a tier 2 weapon more frequently using less repair kits. I repair a higher tier less frequently for a considerably larger amount of repair kits.

Either way, evens out in the end in the amount of repair kits used regardless of the tier.

There USED to be a difference. Young developers, self funded start ups and Early Access all but destroyed that structure. At one point build numbers meant the difference between hotfixes or major changes.

Now in todays climate they are meaningless.

Don't disagree about the game industry (which I can only observe from the outside). But in every other software industry, people use semantic versioning pretty consistently. And, in my experience, it's the young developers who are keen to use it, and the old fogeys who coded Delphi in the 90's who are resistant.

Archived