Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Put me down for kinda preferring the old (15.3, in my case; I skipped A16 entirely) weapon system - parts, combining, etc. Maybe the game could sort of split the difference:

- No parts

- Gun levels do affect base damage slightly (need other balance to make this work)

- Can combine two (undamaged) level N guns to get one level N+1 gun at 50% durability

- Can combined damaged guns to repair the higher-level one (or less-damaged one in the case of same-level)

- repair effectiveness is based on difference in levels and/or durability remaining in the sacrificed gun

- No repairing guns using repair kits (must combine on workbench to repair)

- Gun level 6 cannot be found or purchased - gotta build it or combine level 5's

- Mods as they are today

That would give some value to the plethora of level 1 & 2 hunting rifles we keep finding. I also kinda like the idea of guns being extremely valuable tools which must be cared for and watched closely for damage. As it is I don't care if my gun is at 10% durability - repair kit bada bing bada boom it's fixed.

Alternate idea, but also BRILLIANT:

- Guns cannot be crafted, only found and purchased (bows and crossbows are still craftable)

- Perks allow for upgrading and repairing weapons of type X up to level Y

- Repairing is diminishing return - 100% repair the first time, 75% the next, etc.

- Repair can either sacrifice a weapon of the same type, or use a repair kit

- Damage and mods as they are now (no increasing damage with increasing level - just better durability)

That would make weapons very valuable, even level 1's, since each weapon has a limited lifespan. No more creating a level 6 weapon and immediately transitioning to selling all other weapons you find. Your level 6 shotty is great, but after 4 repairs (which should take a while; it's a level 6 after all) it's going to be dead so you better work towards finding or buying a replacement. And maybe don't shotgun everything you see - crossbows are cheap to make.

We're on day 35 in our game and we both have level 6 guns (he's a marksman, I prefer the shotgun) and effectively unlimited ammo. Finding guns is just not a thing we care about any more. Not when a stack of 6000 rock nets me 3000 at the trader and a level 2 rifle gets me 120 or whatever.

And but so anyway, I like the "we give you guns that go bang" thing, but IMO they need to be much more valuable. By which I mean rare and prized, not just worth more at the trader.

I dont think the new weapon level system get's enough credit. It only seems awkward on paper when mod slots are empty and all levels appear equivalent. But once you start populating the slots, especially with choice mods that are really powerful and have great synergy with your playstyle, a fully decked out high level weapon becomes incredibly powerful. Experimenting with different mod combos has become a new in game hobby. Building mods at night has become a great way to pass time at night too.

The new system could use some tweaking but the core mechanic is quite good. I like to think of gun parts as a horrible nightmare that never happened.

I loved the A16 quality levels from 1-600 more then the current A17 1-6 levels. We had a reason to collect gun parts and clothes to merch them together. I never bought weapon parts and clothing from the trader to get that extra immersion feeling.

Also the wrenching part for materials was pretty epic. Endless long loot runs to gather everything you need for your next epic base build. Love it.

Right now, my loot runs turn out pretty boring quite fast.

I loved the A16 quality levels from 1-600 more then the current A17 1-6 levels. We had a reason to collect gun parts and clothes to merch them together. I never bought weapon parts and clothing from the trader to get that extra immersion feeling.

Also the wrenching part for materials was pretty epic. Endless long loot runs to gather everything you need for your next epic base build. Love it.

Right now, my loot runs turn out pretty boring quite fast.

I agree with that. At least you had more chances to be excited about loot when there are 600 levels of it. You still are at least mildly excited to get a 175 quality if you already had a 109 quality, rater than currently where you get a 1, 1, 1 1, 1, 1, 2! yay! Plus quality levels actually did something back in a16, so now you aren't even excited if you find a 6 vs a 1.

I agree with that. At least you had more chances to be excited about loot when there are 600 levels of it. You still are at least mildly excited to get a 175 quality if you already had a 109 quality, rater than currently where you get a 1, 1, 1 1, 1, 1, 2! yay! Plus quality levels actually did something back in a16, so now you aren't even excited if you find a 6 vs a 1.

Yeah sure. In one sentence you complain you only get 1,1,1.... And in the next sentence you don't care if you get a 6. Totally believeable

and you had to share your character pooping.

I just want to say this is my favorite icon in the game and whoever thought of it should be commended.

I had to sneak it in there, sorry for farting around....

.... aaaaaaa!

Yeah sure. In one sentence you complain you only get 1,1,1.... And in the next sentence you don't care if you get a 6. Totally believeable

Right, in once sentence I'm talking about one thing:

(that a 1 to 6 quality tier system results in fewer instances of finding better items)

And in the other sentence I'm talking about another thing:

(that ultimately the quality in a17 is irrelevant because it doesn't effect stats.)

It is in fact totally believable! :D

You may not be excited but I am. 5 mod slots to fill that actually do something other than just raising damage is far more interesting and exciting to me.

I dont know if that was ever mentioned or if it ever occured in the previous like...10000 posts, but would it be possible to just add simple logic gates like a OR gate, so you could cover a bigger area with sensors etc? The electricity and stuff is cool but its kinda underwhelming with just the possibility of creating ANDs. Multipe block INPUTS would be another option to make this happening.

Would be cool and i really appreciate the work but it often feels like you are jumping from one idea to another without finishing the first idea.

I hope anyone will read that and maybe you could talk about it and hopefully implement basic logic.

If you(as a surviver) can build a relay that tracks the time of day why can't you build a OR gate?

You may not be excited but I am. 5 mod slots to fill that actually do something other than just raising damage is far more interesting and exciting to me.

By the time you have 5 mods to put in those slots though, you're already mostly getting high tier loot anyway.

Either way though, I'm not arguing for them removing mods, I love the mods, I just would prefer they go back to the a16 600 quality system with the quality effecting the item's stats. Still keep the mods and mod slots too, just have them at added at each 100 interval.

Archived