Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

It has been awhile since I posted in the forum...I just wanted to stop by and say props to TFP for an awesome build. A17 is challenging and a lot of the new systems make sense now. I have encountered a very small number of bugs, none game breaking, and am enjoying the game again like when I first discovered it. Thank you for "taking the heat" and stick with the evolving vision! Props!

Thank you Fun Pimps for an excellent update to an already addicting game! I haven't found the changes to be too concerning other than bag space and stamina I feel were nerfed too much. Having said that, I don't feel the sky is falling due to either of these things. I absolutely LOVE the POIs and not playing gun part collector simulator. Level gate is not a thing, including forge gate and benchgate. I reached lvl 50 before day 7 without even trying. Please do not nerf zombie xp in what is supposed to be a zombie killing game. Raise building xp if you must but please don't take the most exciting part of the game is nerf it, thanks in advance.

That perk is available now and consists of placing tnt and or oil barrels all around your base and firing a single bullet. I also went on a hunger strike to prevent the devs from level gating this perk so it is available from the get go for any play style choice.

barrels dont do anything to blocks anymore

a17 for me has got to be the most underwhelming update to date, taking into consideration how LONG it took to come out, after playing overhaul mods like ravenhearst and starvation, gotta say, bored from vanilla a17 after just a week. im not really liking the direction the game is heading right now. i much preferred the old welness system, now i dont even care if i die, and my stamina being limited by my hunger is retarded. they come out with good systems and then scrap it for no reason. certain things are great like the new quest system which i see potential, and the new ai, props to that.

Stopped reading at "considering how LONG it took"

Has anyone else noticed how "noticeable" the mining helmet is? I'm at bedrock, and my perception meter thingy is at 79.....I'm literally 25 meters underground, with no direct sight to the surface - there should be no way a zombie can see my light through that much rock. I think that desperately needs to be balanced.

all it is telling you, is that you are not being very stealthy; and if there WERE anything nearby to notice you, there is a good chance you'd be noticed.

- - - Updated - - -

why can't I build more than 3 blocks below "ground level" in the prefab editor?

move your "ground level" up in the escape menu

I think someone mentioned a question in this thread as to whether or not the animal harvesting perk will increase bones. I have tested and it does but it may take some perks before it may increase that one item much. At the full 5 levels I was getting 6 bones from a boar instead of 2 at no levels for the perk.

Soo I've been reading and no one mentioned throwing stones to attract zombies. It's working rather too well. To the point that zombies will jump off the building to investigate a stone I threw standing few meters away from them.

Really looking forward to new release with more bugs fixed. As for melee balancing, will have to play it. In B208 even with all issues clubs are still too powerful. Might need more fine tuning later.

Thats how it should be though lol, zombies shouldnt be like “well ♥♥♥♥, that sound came from over the ledge i best not fall.”

Thats how it should be though lol, zombies shouldnt be like “well ♥♥♥♥, that sound came from over the ledge i best not fall.”

Yeah but it's inconsistent. Zombies are smart enough to attack your base at the weakest position. They should also be smart enough to not dive off ledges.

Faatal, you mentioned zombies don't see light from a mining helmet through walls/ in a deep cave. Is is supposed to work the same for burning effects?

Specifically I have a burning shaft mod on a machete and it wakes nearby zombies, but I'm pretty sure this included zombies from other rooms. I could record / pay more attention to test this again, but would be nice to know if there's something else to it (maybe the heat aspect?)

I don't know about that mod, but if it lights you up then it would effect seeing. Seeing is blocked by obstacles. If it has a sound with noise, then they would hear it.

Maybe people would think this is too exploity, but I'd love to see the stealth meter split into "sight" and "sound" bars, so when we're in our well-lit but windowless base and can't be seen from outside, we still have an idea for how much noise we're making for zombies.

And while we're at it, faatal, does the "volume" of noise we're making correlate to the distance at which a zombie can hear us? Is there a maximum distance that basic activities can be heard by zombies? Not mining or firing guns, just moving around, crafting, cooking, etc.

I've thought about split meters, but not sure that is better. Design may not want.

Many sounds have noise values which determines how loud and long they last for the stealth system. You will find them in sounds.xml.

<Noise ID="2" range="7" volume="10" time="1.5" muffled_when_crouched="0.5"/>

That xml range value is no longer used and is now done with:

noiseRange = Utils.FastMin(noiseTotalVolume * 1.1f, 70);

About the "too-many-sleepers" gate, while waiting for the patch, I wanted to test the exploration of a new POI with a newly created character (enter the game, make the first quest for the 5 points and go towards a building).

Difficulty "nomad" but running zombies, for fun of course.

I took the time to edit the video so it was not boring. Rather than going around in circles waiting for a hypothetical patch, I suggest you watch me mess. Or not.

nice video man :)

you are really an amazing player ;)

No new experimental build today. Testers found a few last minute bugs. Two were AI bugs. One fixed, but the other is MP only, so making a local test build to figure that one out. We can release without that fixed, but it is too late today, so we will try again tomorrow.

No, it is 50% of your light and 50% of your noise values. Both of those are numbers generated by many different calculations.

Light is based on the light on you modified by contrast with your background, reduced by couching using a power curve and increased by movement speed.

Noise is based on the sounds you recently made, sorted by noise level in a diminishing geometric sequence using a power curve.

They are both modified by player effects (like perks) and attenuated by distance and entities can have different light and noise sensitivity, so some may see or hear you easier than others.

So, in other words, 42 blocks. :-)

based on the light on you modified by contrast with your background

I find this part very interesting. Does clothing/background color factor in, or is it strictly luminance? I can haz camouflage?

I'd think of that perk that decreases detection could be your camo in a sense. Be interesting to see actually adding in color dye to actually do something since it'd be based on where you are, colors around you, time of day, etc. A flat detection decrease based on dye alone would be just like the perk.

Archived