Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

where can I see how the game is tested ?

Don't think they've ever shown their in-house testing. As too sanity testing... Well now, -that- is easy, head back a few hundred pages and dig into this thread; we test the **** out of their sanity constantly :D :D

It's actually astonishing that the lot of them haven't been driven stark raving mad. ... ... ... yet. Ha! :D

I overhauled trader prices and economy so theres mods at traders now and way more accessible brown guns but the price skyrockets as the quality gets good.

This means that the trader will be more likely to already have 3 of the same type, so that I wont be able to sell all the ones I find while looting. Looks like I'll be scrapping a lot of them from now on, unless you lowered the chance to find guns in loot.

Has anyone tried a stealth build? How does that work in POIs?

On my night 6 of my current game I went outside at night to snipe the wandering horde that had just missed me and spread out about 100 meters from my base. I managed to do pretty well, by sniping with a compound bow. I would fire off a shot and immediately stealth away a few meters, usually the follow up shot dropped them before they saw me; only 1 got into melee and it was a 1 shot from an iron reinforced club. bear in mind this was all with only 1 rank in the hide perk and seemed to do well. My usual routine for POI's is to stealth as much as possible, going for sneak kills as much as possible, and other than the poorly timed stumbles or forced jumps i keep quiet and do fairly well.

So playing A17e for quite a number of hours I find that I really miss leveling on use.

I also like the rpg system of A17e too so I'm wondering if they can be combined.

My thought is that levels of a skill are also progression gates for leveling the skill.

So if mining level 1 adds 10% to the amount of resources collected instead of automatically jumping to 10% for mining it allows you to progress to 10% in mining, as you mine you level up to the 10% gate that Mining level 1 allows.

I also think there should be a little bonus for reaching the max gate from each level.

So if there are 5 levels for a total of +50% resources, you would get a small bonus at 10,20,30,40 and a special bonus at 50.

Level and/or Master attribute gates still apply.

This could be applied to almost, if not all, the skills (gun,tools, armor,etc)

Thoughts?

So it's definitely doable to build bases. The only problem I see is the enormous reliance on spikes for it to work. It'd be nice if there were more options than to encircle the base with many rows of those, just for some more variety in terms of defences. I don't know if other people have managed the first couple horde days without many spikes (and obviously no electrical traps); it would be nice to read their experiences.

We built a simple base, central cage in a 1 or 2 blocks wide courtyard closed on three sides by a 3 blocks high cobblestone wall and a ~8 blocks long and 2 blocks wide entrance, simply filled with spikes. You save a lot of spikes this way.

They tore fast through the spikes though (barbed wire probably would have helped but we forgot). We meleed them from the cage for a while but as expected had to go on top of the cage after they got nearly through there. Then shot from above until the waves stopped.

In a single player game I tried the same with only 2 high non-upgraded walls and a central platform set on a natural boulder (an idea someone posted in the forum). Worked as well but they destroyed a lot more of the wall. But also were good targets when they worked on the stones. Forgot barbed wire again but threw one molotov cocktail for good effect, want more next time.

Anyone else having issues with the resolution being reset every single time you restart the game?

Not only that, but if you set the resolution back to what it was in the main menu, it appears this change isn't applied to the game itself.

Had this problem the first few days of experimental, but not anymore. Did you try different combinations of display resolution and turned-on/turned-off fullscreen?

Has anyone else noticed how "noticeable" the mining helmet is? I'm at bedrock, and my perception meter thingy is at 79.....I'm literally 25 meters underground, with no direct sight to the surface - there should be no way a zombie can see my light through that much rock. I think that desperately needs to be balanced.

This 79 is just an indicator of the noise you are making. It doesn't say anything about whether zombies noticed you.

Ping is average of 30 to 60. Also do sleeper spawns consider the player rotation/view angles? I needed something like this in one of my prototypes.

The check is more conservative than that. It uses 6 raycasts across the 2d plane of the spawn location based on sleeper pose height.

It could also happen if the enemy count has reached MaxSpawnedZombies, which would delay it until a zombie despawned on the server.

??

The check is more conservative than that. It uses 6 raycasts across the 2d plane of the spawn location based on sleeper pose height.

It could also happen if the enemy count has reached MaxSpawnedZombies, which would delay it until a zombie despawned on the server.

Faatal a query, is it possible that all the POIs in the game (I think they are like 70 including large buildings) can all appear in the world generated when raised? I spent on Sunday generating many random maps and I saw many buildings destroyed repetitive, and I did not see the big buildings (skyscrapers) nor the hospital, the shotgun factory I only saw it in 1 occasion, we can do that in a generic world they can be all the POI?

Increasing stealth first shot damage is awesome perk. Noise reduction seems not working for me. I am playing stealth as much as possible but its there some things what i hate. Jumping sound is too high. When you go down from ladder it makes 3-4 jumps and wake everything spawned. Also diagonal catwalks looks bugged, when you go on diagonal patch it often makes you character jump on railings even if you go in middle of catwalk. Also every small thing makes your character jump and again wakeuping every spawned zombie. Always i wear a lot Frame Ramps because walking on them don't make jump sounds.

One of my first 5 points goes into increased sneak damage.

Friday, I decreased noise of jumping (a lot) and step sounds (a little).

Has anyone else noticed how "noticeable" the mining helmet is? I'm at bedrock, and my perception meter thingy is at 79.....I'm literally 25 meters underground, with no direct sight to the surface - there should be no way a zombie can see my light through that much rock. I think that desperately needs to be balanced.

It has nothing to do with being underground. It is only an indicator of the light on you and the noise you are making. You can be as bright as the sun, but if you are inside a box, nothing is going to see you, but they might hear you.

I used Power Attacks for mining ATM in B208 because they yield more ore - at least underground.

And the perks for mining say specifically "Power attack"

Yea kinda odd MM says using power attack for mining is dumb because it's meant for melee but yet the perks is for power attack in mining....

Yeah that's one of the few things I miss from A16 and I don't know if it's possible to mod it back. Specially when we mention situations like improving agility by running around the map.

Well if was referring more towards the leveling the skills you buy through use rather than leveling up attributes through use.

It has nothing to do with being underground. It is only an indicator of the light on you and the noise you are making. You can be as bright as the sun, but if you are inside a box, nothing is going to see you, but they might hear you.

Faatal, I am sure someone mentioned the number is how many blocks away you can be noticed/heard. Is that correct?

Faatal a query, is it possible that all the POIs in the game (I think they are like 70 including large buildings) can all appear in the world generated when raised? I spent on Sunday generating many random maps and I saw many buildings destroyed repetitive, and I did not see the big buildings (skyscrapers) nor the hospital, the shotgun factory I only saw it in 1 occasion, we can do that in a generic world they can be all the POI?

It isn't working correctly right now. Once they fix random world generation then 99% of the POIs will be available to the random maps. The large POI's including the sky scrapers and new factories, hospital, etc are all intended to show up in RWG but for now it is not working.

Id like to see a new perk created called "Last Resort" It would be a self destruct function (option) when base is being overrun. :)

That perk is available now and consists of placing tnt and or oil barrels all around your base and firing a single bullet. I also went on a hunger strike to prevent the devs from level gating this perk so it is available from the get go for any play style choice.

It isn't working correctly right now. Once they fix random world generation then 99% of the POIs will be available to the random maps. The large POI's including the sky scrapers and new factories, hospital, etc are all intended to show up in RWG but for now it is not working.

Do you have any idea when this fix for RWG might appear? Would it be likely before Alpha 17 goes stable?

That perk is available now and consists of placing tnt and or oil barrels all around your base and firing a single bullet. I also went on a hunger strike to prevent the devs from level gating this perk so it is available from the get go for any play style choice.

Oh free TNT, So you are saying that workbench isn't LVL gated anymore?

Archived