Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

"So it's definitely doable to build bases."

I've only played through day 21, but I agree totally. In fact, I've almost completely stopped surrounding my base with spikes, especially wood spikes. Instead, I'm using the Z's pathing against them by making only one path for them to use. I build a stairway up to my base, then I line that path with cheap barbed wire. They spend all night just climbing that stairway, falling off at the top, then circling back across the barbed wire to climb again. They completely ignore trying to beat up my base and I spend the whole night just pumping projectiles into them. Almost too easy.

"So it's definitely doable to build bases."

I've only played through day 21, but I agree totally. In fact, I've almost completely stopped surrounding my base with spikes, especially wood spikes. Instead, I'm using the Z's pathing against them by making only one path for them to use. I build a stairway up to my base, then I line that path with cheap barbed wire. They spend all night just climbing that stairway, falling off at the top, then circling back across the barbed wire to climb again. They completely ignore trying to beat up my base and I spend the whole night just pumping projectiles into them. Almost too easy.

That's really interesting. I've wanted to try a clever design like that myself, but so far haven't put too much effort into the designing part (there's not much time to doubt with the difficulty now, you gotta get to building right away). Even forgot barbed wire was a thing. I suspect this tactic will stop working as smoothly when faatal gets around to introducing some randomness in the AI patterns.

There's the problem. Now you don't build bases, you just build fields of spikes (if you're so inclined) - I even progressed beyond the fields of spikes to simply taking them on in the largest open flat area I can prepare.

The "destroy block" thing is overpowered. Needs to be maybe 1/4 of the damage per second that they do now, at least for "normal" difficulty. Tower defense is almost completely broken at the moment because of how fast a tower gets broken.

I personally don't mind the fact that you now need to build smaller bases at first. It means that you are forced to take zombie hordes seriously now, instead of being able to build big, fancy-looking bases from the get-go because you know the zombies don't stand a chance. You can start with a more pragmatic base design, and when you get to the strong stuff (electricity, guns with steady ammo supply, etc), you can expand your base into a nicer thing. The only issue I have is the same you have, the whole spike field thing. It's cool that it's an option, but I'd like there to be more possibilities. Well, according to jlmanatee it's possible to not use spikes! I'll have to try that next.

That's really interesting. I've wanted to try a clever design like that myself, but so far haven't put too much effort into the designing part (there's not much time to doubt with the difficulty now, you gotta get to building right away). Even forgot barbed wire was a thing. I suspect this tactic will stop working as smoothly when faatal gets around to introducing some randomness in the AI patterns.

My screen this moment (testing a idea)

1BE25BD4A5A37B261B2437F6D2474B7461FD73F1

and here a working prefab

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/real-survival-games/discussions/1/1745605598719165507/

Only issue is that sometimes zombies destroy random blocks instead of following a path.

Sadly very often they destroy the pathes

Anyone else having issues with the resolution being reset every single time you restart the game?

Not only that, but if you set the resolution back to what it was in the main menu, it appears this change isn't applied to the game itself.

I had that issue a lot in A16.4 too. Didn't know it was a thing for A17E, I've just always found it to be normal.

There's the problem. Now you don't build bases, you just build fields of spikes (if you're so inclined) - I even progressed beyond the fields of spikes to simply taking them on in the largest open flat area I can prepare.

The "destroy block" thing is overpowered. Needs to be maybe 1/4 of the damage per second that they do now, at least for "normal" difficulty. Tower defense is almost completely broken at the moment because of how fast a tower gets broken.

Back in alpha 14 or so (maybe 13?) I did nearly the same field-of-spikes approach and this is the one big gripe I have with a17b208. The effort of building a base isn't rewarded by the effectiveness vs. the simpler spike or open field methods.

Oh, and digging in sand isn't broken. Works great. You should have to reinforce your tunnel with supports.

For the first 30 or so levels the progression of a17b208 felt off, but then it smoothed out quite nicely for me.

I don't mind the sheer number of guns that my son and I have been finding. Seems realistic that there would be guns all over. It is set in the U.S., after all... the trader only being willing to buy two of each type every few days is a bit of a nuisance. I haven't gotten to the point of scrapping guns for parts yet but I can see a longer game getting to that point.

Using your "realistic" argument that you introduced for guns, realistically a field of spikes would be the best way to handle a horde of running undead who are throwing their bodies at any obstacle.

Realistically you could never make a concrete fortress in 7 days. Realistically if you had over 30 undead husks throwing themselves at your wood or iron tower it WILL fall and realistically if you WERE playing the game as tower defense than spikes would be VERY much in use in defense of said tower.

Realistically.

snip

That looks great :D Reminds me of classic tower defence games where you'd make snaking paths for them to take longer to get to the end. It's good that they destroy some random blocks too, though, because them following a set path like that 100% predictably would be a bit weird. The other problem with that base will be vultures!

Anyone else having issues with the resolution being reset every single time you restart the game?

Not only that, but if you set the resolution back to what it was in the main menu, it appears this change isn't applied to the game itself.

Ya when I switch to my ultrawide it auto sets it to 2560x1080 and when back on the laptop (when not on ultrawide) it sets it back to 1920x1080. It smells the monitor.

Has anyone tried a stealth build? How does that work in POIs?

Increasing stealth first shot damage is awesome perk. Noise reduction seems not working for me. I am playing stealth as much as possible but its there some things what i hate. Jumping sound is too high. When you go down from ladder it makes 3-4 jumps and wake everything spawned. Also diagonal catwalks looks bugged, when you go on diagonal patch it often makes you character jump on railings even if you go in middle of catwalk. Also every small thing makes your character jump and again wakeuping every spawned zombie. Always i wear a lot Frame Ramps because walking on them don't make jump sounds. And use Composive bow over Crossbow - Crossbow make noise and bow don't.

On other hands you can use fireaxe/pickaxe next to sleeper and he won't wakeup. (This is probably intentions because how you can be stealth when every closed room have locked doors and you need somehow get there.

Has anyone else noticed how "noticeable" the mining helmet is? I'm at bedrock, and my perception meter thingy is at 79.....I'm literally 25 meters underground, with no direct sight to the surface - there should be no way a zombie can see my light through that much rock. I think that desperately needs to be balanced.

Hey Da Vega, just had a thought (yay! congrats rats! grr...); some video card driver packages allow custom setups specifically for various games. Maybe that would allow you to set up a 7dtd Default Profile?

and btw, my res was reset when I restarted computer, otherwise it's sticking to the 1600x900 I lowered it to in 7dtd game options (no outside profile)

Just saying it now, melee is retuned. You can't endlessly power attack any more. The best way to play is to use left click attack to get a stagger (left click is buffed some). Then power attack, as power attacking against a knocked down opponent does extra damage. I mean sure you can go flying in there and power attack sometimes, but you want to try and save it until they are knocked down and then you get the kill most of the time.

Another nice strategy is to get a sneak bow shot for 2x damage, then you can usually power attack for a kill or knockdown.

Before left click was pretty useless. Now left click is good for mining too. You can power attack mine, but its pretty dumb considering its meant for melee combat. Like anything try it out, and experiment you'll find your groove. It plays how we intended now, with primary attacks being good, and power attacks more used in situations where it makes sense because if you run out of stamina you are screwed. It also is set up for a risk reward style of play because you WANT to get that power shot kill in but sometimes other zombies are near so its a little risky.

Firearms have way more up front damage and less perked late game damage. (They are still really nice) So they are now useful early game, 2 head shots instead of 7 to kill a weak zombie with a pistol, much better.

Anyhow a new patch is coming soon and its really awesome. I overhauled trader prices and economy so theres mods at traders now and way more accessible brown guns but the price skyrockets as the quality gets good. They have more construction materials and all the new foods are possible to spawn, vending machines have the new foods too.

A ton of stuff coming. Its playing really good. Some nice optimizations too, with a big one coming at some point.

Just saying it now, melee is retuned. You can't endlessly power attack any more. The best way to play is to use left click attack to get a stagger (left click is buffed some). Then power attack, as power attacking against a knocked down opponent does extra damage. I mean sure you can go flying in there and power attack sometimes, but you want to try and save it until they are knocked down and then you get the kill most of the time.

Another nice strategy is to get a sneak bow shot for 2x damage, then you can usually power attack for a kill or knockdown.

Before left click was pretty useless. Now left click is good for mining too. You can power attack mine, but its pretty dumb considering its meant for melee combat. Like anything try it out, and experiment you'll find your groove. It plays how we intended now, with primary attacks being good, and power attacks more used in situations where it makes sense because if you run out of stamina you are screwed. It also is set up for a risk reward style of play because you WANT to get that power shot kill in but sometimes other zombies are near so its a little risky.

Sounds excellent. I can't wait.

Firearms have way more up front damage and less perked late game damage. (They are still really nice) So they are now useful early game, 2 head shots instead of 7 to kill a weak zombie with a pistol, much better.

If firearms are more effective up front, with less of an increase due to perks, are bows intended to catch up somewhat and still be competitive at higher perk levels?

Just saying it now, melee is retuned. You can't endlessly power attack any more.

Thank god :^)

Already do that, it's the best start. I found I can sometimes approach and power attack them from maximum distance, but it's risky as sometimes they wake up and I lose the sneak bonus.

Firearms have way more up front damage and less perked late game damage.

Good for the upfront damage, not sure about late game.. I feel like perks don't do much for most fire weapons already.

Anyhow a new patch is coming soon and its really awesome.

I read soon as "not today so giving you a message to keep you calm". I have bad feelings towards that, hope someday I get proven wrong

Some nice optimizations too, with a big one coming at some point.

Best part!

Oh thank Jebus.

Archived