Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Soo I've been reading and no one mentioned throwing stones to attract zombies. It's working rather too well. To the point that zombies will jump off the building to investigate a stone I threw standing few meters away from them.

Really looking forward to new release with more bugs fixed. As for melee balancing, will have to play it. In B208 even with all issues clubs are still too powerful. Might need more fine tuning later.

That perk is available now and consists of placing tnt and or oil barrels all around your base and firing a single bullet. I also went on a hunger strike to prevent the devs from level gating this perk so it is available from the get go for any play style choice.

lol.

Second thought - Nearly all servers have a rule of 500 meters that a lcb can be from a POI. With all the POI's on the dirt roads, iv noticed a limited amount of space for lcb placement. Is there a way to reduce the negative affects (loot respawning and trader being bugged) a lcb has on a POI?

Faatal, I am sure someone mentioned the number is how many blocks away you can be noticed/heard. Is that correct?

No, it is 50% of your light and 50% of your noise values. Both of those are numbers generated by many different calculations.

Light is based on the light on you modified by contrast with your background, reduced by couching using a power curve and increased by movement speed.

Noise is based on the sounds you recently made, sorted by noise level in a diminishing geometric sequence using a power curve.

They are both modified by player effects (like perks) and attenuated by distance and entities can have different light and noise sensitivity, so some may see or hear you easier than others.

Soo I've been reading and no one mentioned throwing stones to attract zombies. It's working rather too well. To the point that zombies will jump off the building to investigate a stone I threw standing few meters away from them.

Distraction no longer works if an entity has an attack target.

Faatal, you mentioned zombies don't see light from a mining helmet through walls/ in a deep cave. Is is supposed to work the same for burning effects?

Specifically I have a burning shaft mod on a machete and it wakes nearby zombies, but I'm pretty sure this included zombies from other rooms. I could record / pay more attention to test this again, but would be nice to know if there's something else to it (maybe the heat aspect?)

a17 for me has got to be the most underwhelming update to date, taking into consideration how LONG it took to come out, after playing overhaul mods like ravenhearst and starvation, gotta say, bored from vanilla a17 after just a week. im not really liking the direction the game is heading right now. i much preferred the old welness system, now i dont even care if i die, and my stamina being limited by my hunger is retarded. they come out with good systems and then scrap it for no reason. certain things are great like the new quest system which i see potential, and the new ai, props to that.

About the "too-many-sleepers" gate, while waiting for the patch, I wanted to test the exploration of a new POI with a newly created character (enter the game, make the first quest for the 5 points and go towards a building).

Difficulty "nomad" but running zombies, for fun of course.

I took the time to edit the video so it was not boring. Rather than going around in circles waiting for a hypothetical patch, I suggest you watch me mess. Or not.

It isn't working correctly right now. Once they fix random world generation then 99% of the POIs will be available to the random maps. The large POI's including the sky scrapers and new factories, hospital, etc are all intended to show up in RWG but for now it is not working.

Thank you very much for the reply

Bedrock is at +3 in 17. Not entirely sure if that's at all related. Just move the prefab up and offset it in the xml.

I know about the change to bedrock, but when im building a prefab, i cant go more than 2 or 3 blocks below the surface :/ its really weird. if i lower ground level i can build, but when i raise it again the sub blocks dissapear until i lower it again. and if i try to import that, anything that dissapears doesnt load

It has nothing to do with being underground. It is only an indicator of the light on you and the noise you are making. You can be as bright as the sun, but if you are inside a box, nothing is going to see you, but they might hear you.

Maybe people would think this is too exploity, but I'd love to see the stealth meter split into "sight" and "sound" bars, so when we're in our well-lit but windowless base and can't be seen from outside, we still have an idea for how much noise we're making for zombies.

And while we're at it, faatal, does the "volume" of noise we're making correlate to the distance at which a zombie can hear us? Is there a maximum distance that basic activities can be heard by zombies? Not mining or firing guns, just moving around, crafting, cooking, etc.

Archived