Is the hype for a new alpha dead?

Haven't really seen or heard much about the new alpha. Just seems like alpha 21 was a fun for 2 weeks kind of thing then the excitement died when not much was really added and instead things were removed for ridiculous systems.

In June it will be about a full year since alpha 21 got released and honestly alpha 22 doesn't seem like it has any hype behind it. Maybe I'm wrong but what exactly is alpha 22 going to bring to 7dtd that would make people want to play it? Unless it's going to add NPCs and story progression I don't see much excitement or reason to jump into alpha 22 until mods come out since atleast they add some sort of enjoyable content. 

It is still a good point.  Most the stuff that isn't being pushed back again isn't a big deal.  Nice, but not a big deal.  The big thing was bandits and unless I heard wrong, they won't be in A22.

New art and POI are great, but not necessarily exciting.  I mean, I'll be very happy for better looking vehicles and animals, and also for the zombie skins for variety.  But are they going to hype me up about the alpha?  Not really.  There isn't anything in it that really matters enough to care when it comes out.  Grabbed, that is probably a good thing considering they had said they wanted the best alpha to come out now quickly and we are more than half a year into it and don't even have an official dev diary yet.  Not much reason for hype at this point.

I think that we won't see much worthy of hype before gold except bandits and story, and the story isn't likely to come out before gold anyhow.  That's what happens at the end of game development... Everything left to do is optimization and stuff that might make the game play better or look nicer, but isn't really worthy of hype.

On 2/7/2024 at 1:43 PM, SylenThunder said:

It is apparent that you don't pay any attention to active threads in this forum, or the main dev Twitter account.

I have been and nothing really seems to scream hey check out this new amazing stuff being added.

Even alpha 21 got really boring after like 2 or 3 weeks. Most of the updates I see are hey new art, hey new graphics. Splashing new shirts on old zombies doesn't really seem like a big improvement for variety as opposed to adding new enemies with new abilities.

Considering it's been almost a year since alpha 21 got released I haven't seen or heard anything that's going to come out in alpha 22 that brings excitement to the game. If there is feel free to show it.

I think a big thing going for A22 will be console support. If waiting for the next alpha feels like ages, imagine having to wait through 7 alphas worth of content before being able to get the update (console is on A15 as far as I'm aware). I'd imagine there's more hype going for console players that don't have the PC version.

I'm thinking that... yeah. Because: 7dtd have this same problem as Valheim - updates are not often enough to keep hype. + there was release a lot of new games like helldriver 2 so.. people just focus on another games. While somepeople  are dissapointed about added stuff ( similiar situation like valheim)

I would say in many ways 7 Days to Die has "matured" and gotten into a more stable cycle. With more players than ever before, there appears to be less radical changes to gameplay and instead more refinements.  This by its very nature makes for a lot less "hype", just an incrementally better game for new players. Players who've been around for a longer time might instead feel that the game while better, doesn't hold enough interest in between updates.

Looking at gameplay, Alpha 18 until Alpha 21 plays very similar in my experience. Alpha 21 is a fair bit improvement across many aspects, but the core gameplay is very similar. This means that while one might've spent months exploring the game in Alpha 18, subsequent versions while better simply had insufficient new content to continue playing past a certain point. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, nor unexpected. Alpha 22 had a fair bit of hype for bandits, being a short cycle and all that, neither of which came to pass.

So yes, the hype at the moment is quite dead, I hear no one talking about the game, but I invite people to check out steam charts which clearly shows the game is doing better than ever over time :)

What hype? It's been mostly silent around here for a while, compared to previous cycles, and the tone has changed. This forum was more fun a couple of years ago. It feels like less damns being given, but I am a confirmed pessimist, so I'm sure everything will be "fine" in the end. Yea, boyeeee!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 7:30 AM, NekoPawtato said:

I think a big thing going for A22 will be console support. If waiting for the next alpha feels like ages, imagine having to wait through 7 alphas worth of content before being able to get the update (console is on A15 as far as I'm aware). I'd imagine there's more hype going for console players that don't have the PC version.

If I’m correct the current console version is 15 which is the best version anyway. I foresee a lot of console users are going to be massively disappointed when they try the game in its current state and realise how much less fun the game has become.

Edited by hotpoon (see edit history)

7 hours ago, hotpoon said:

If I’m correct the current console version is 15 which is the best version anyway. I foresee a lot of console users are going to be massively disappointed when they try the game in its current state and realise how much less fun the game has become.

A15? Seems to me the most pining is for A16 which the console gamers never experienced.

At any rate, we had A15 only for about a year and then A16 for about a year and a half. They've had Alpha 15 for 5-6 years so I'm betting it's a bit more played out for them than it was for you. They can always go back to the old console version if they think it is more fun but I'll take your bet and counter that most will be excited for the new version, enjoy it immensely, and view it more as a sequel than a replacement.

Much like a sequel they will have both available to play at any time on their console so I doubt their bitterness will rise to the level you seem to be displaying.

Yeah, for console players, this won't be like it is for PC players who get each alpha and each update to each alpha.  There's been enough time since the first console version that it will be like a sequel rather than just an update like it is for PC players.  Will it mean they like it better?  Maybe, maybe not.  That's always the case with sequels or even just regular updates.  But I'd bet that more people will like it than those who don't, even if they prefer certain mechanics from A15.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

A15? Seems to me the most pining is for A16 which the console gamers never experienced.

I think that's because the game changed so drastically in A17.  A16 was still fun, but it introduced sleeper zombies which I don't care for. At least in A16, the sleepers weren't all hiding in the walls and rafters, but still.  A15 had the hub cities teaming with zombies. The game now, whilst much better looking feels empty and devoid of zombies.  

The game could use some endgame fun to make playthroughs a bit longer but what it mostly needs at this stage is performance. Even when running from a dedicated server the endgame missions inside cities especially and horde nights can get quite choppy.

It obviously doesn't have to be esports level but a certain amount of smoothess is required for an enjoyable playing experience.

I read that there are at least some improvements coming in this regard so I am a "little hyped" because of it

8 hours ago, Roland said:

I thought I read somewhere on here that the console version was A15 with a sprinkle of A16 thrown in.

6 hours ago, hotpoon said:

I think that's because the game changed so drastically in A17.  A16 was still fun, but it introduced sleeper zombies which I don't care for. At least in A16, the sleepers weren't all hiding in the walls and rafters, but still.  A15 had the hub cities teaming with zombies. The game now, whilst much better looking feels empty and devoid of zombies.  

Hub cities teeming with zeds ended in Alpha 14. (a14.5 to be exact) Alpha 14 brought a few large changes to RWG, and also introduced the UMA zeds which reduced the zed population drastically. Which was partially what led to the sleepers being created in Alpha 16, so that POI zeds were not impacting performance when traveling through cities.

On 3/7/2024 at 7:32 AM, Gamida said:

I thought I read somewhere on here that the console version was A15 with a sprinkle of A16 thrown in.

It is actually A14 mixed with A15 with a sprinkle of A16. 

Most xbox players the game is unplayable. Chunks constantly reset that reset base and stuff. So I'm sure they will be really happy with what they are getting. Even Playstation players I see will be happy. Years of the same broken version that only 3 extra friends can join the game would have anyone wanting something new. As much as I don't like a lot of the changes but i adapted and modded some stuff. But even without modding I'll take the current version any day vs the old console version. 

As far as the topic goes. I look at it this way. The closer to beta/gold it gets the less and less is added. At some point you gotta stop adding lots of stuff and start focusing on optimization and performance. 

Edit--- as far as modding goes. As long as it is server side only mods. Servers should be able to make some xml changes and console still be able to join. I'm sure console will not be able to get overhaul mods or client side (maybe) still will be able to do some small mods. A lot better then older version as well. 

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

I honestly have very little excitement for alpha 22, it seems to be 95% art assets. Where are new tiers of items? enemies? ACTUAL friggin content? The game hasn't gone anywhere but downhill really since like after alpha 16.4. a16.4 was honestly the last good alpha the game had, its just been on a downward spiral since imo, many older players all feel the same way. Each new alpha I play a game maybe 2, then shelf it till mods I like come out as they make the game actually fun and add actual content to the games rather lacking amount of it. Some like Darkness falls has 3 tiers of weapons above steel, and like 4-6 tiers of enemies above the base radiated zombies. This game could be so much more then it is in vanilla, sadly I don't expect it to happen. Most effort seems to be into making it pretty to sell to braindead console players who base how good a game is on how pretty it looks, yeah, alot of casual gamers work this way, why do you think AAA games sell when they are mostly utter garbage?

Sorry but rehashing the same game systems over and over, and making the game prettier is not content, Steel has been the top tier since I started playing which was Alpha 10.2, we need something above that in vanilla, as well as zombies to fight with that new stuff. Like I don't see any reason why the vehicles needed to be overhauled they were fine as they were. I mean they DO look cooler now I will admit, art team does good work, but i'd rather see some actual content and not just graphical updates. Still though, I got great value for my money with 7dtd, even if vanilla is pretty much crap these days compared to what it used to be. I have over 9000 hours played on steam, admittingly most of that is modded since alpha 15-16 or so.

I would love for the stat system to be tossed in the garbage though, as I dispise it. Have weapons and mining tools be learn by doing skills, and those effect what level of pummel pete etc you can get. I find it extremly annoying how each gun/melee weapon type is a diff stat, its not a fun system at all for single player. It could work if you could find gear with maybe +to a stat on it randomly in loot only. So that you could maybe get a stat up 5 points from gear or something like that. One mod I play uses the vanilla stat system but has items you can craft later game that add +1 or 2 to a stat, can stack them too I think.

About only thing I look forward to in a22 is any optimizations made to the game, as honestly? the games performance is still kinda iffy, especially in towns. I get a steady 60 fps, until I go into the commercial district of a town then it tanks to 20-35 average, depends what the weather is, its REALLY bad when its raining out and in the downtown commercial district, I've had my game run below 20 fps at times in these situations.

On 3/7/2024 at 7:32 AM, hotpoon said:

This is so true... I first experienced A15 on console before playing the PC version. And to be honest. It was a really fun time. The horde nights were better back then, because they didn't follow a path with least resistance (doors) so no death tunnel in sight. You had to keep your base safe all around. Cities were full of zombies and shooting brought in even more. the game wasn't as bright and colorful as A17 and after which made it feel more horror like. Also food was more scars, farmign ores was harder, LBD was still a thing which many liked :D overall the console players will like all the new content (Traps, new POIs, new vehicles, etc) but will be dissapointed by the happy, colorful look of the game as well as the one sided horde nights (death tunnel/loop bases)

7 hours ago, Scyris said:

Where are new tiers of items? enemies? ACTUAL friggin content?

This is stuff that gets added when the game is in early Alpha. As you get closer to the end of Alpha and enter Beta development, your aren't adding content, but polishing what you already have.

Which is basically where TFP is right now. Not much content is left that needs to be added to the game. They are getting to the polish and optimization phase. This means that the development stage is nearing and end, and the game is getting very close to the final release.

So basically, you aren't really aware of how development works, and just want them to keep adding things for the sake of adding things. You are also quite fond of older systems that were known to be temporary. Luky for you TFP has been forking out oodles of money to Steam to allow all the previous Alpha versions to remain available. You can go and play the one that suits your fancy.

1 hour ago, SylenThunder said:

This is stuff that gets added when the game is in early Alpha. As you get closer to the end of Alpha and enter Beta development, your aren't adding content, but polishing what you already have.

Which is basically where TFP is right now. Not much content is left that needs to be added to the game. They are getting to the polish and optimization phase. This means that the development stage is nearing and end, and the game is getting very close to the final release.

So basically, you aren't really aware of how development works, and just want them to keep adding things for the sake of adding things. You are also quite fond of older systems that were known to be temporary. Luky for you TFP has been forking out oodles of money to Steam to allow all the previous Alpha versions to remain available. You can go and play the one that suits your fancy.

Not entirely true in this case.  They will still add bandits and a story, which will mean lots of quests and such added as well as bandit specific POIs (I would assume) at the very least.  But that will likely be the end of "new" content until release (except that they will occasionally be adding things like POIs to the game as time goes on, even after release).

I think they were specifically referring to major content changes.  Yes, bandits are still coming.  And we're getting the reworked clothing and armor and a story and some minor additions but we're mostly done with new content and are now in the "finishing for gold" point of development.  Beyond a very specific set of content planned to still be added, they aren't going to likely to any other major content changes before gold or major reworks in mechanics unless something is entirely broken.  They will balance things or make minor changes to improve stuff but you're mostly done with all of that.

More tiers are very unlikely before gold.  They have talked about legendary items but those, I believe, are intended to be tier 6, so that isn't really a new tier and just a different type of item.  And that could end up being done after gold.  Enemies are getting skinned and we're getting bandits, so that's already confirmed.  Additional (new) zombies have been talked about but nothing definite has been said and that could end up being done after gold rather than before gold.  But other than what is on the roadmap for gold, we are not likely to see much more content.  POIs, yes.  Art, yes.  But I have a feeling those are not the type of content the person was referring to in their post.

Yeah, I imagine they were looking for content that would make the game last past day 30 or so (if that long.)  The longest I think I've ever gone in a world is around 50 days (admittedly, I play 2 hour days), and the last 36 or so were almost entirely spent gathering resources and building (well, I also spent 4-5 in game days looking for a nice place to build.  Found a place on a lake with snowy mountains in the background, it was beautiful.)

Edited by Vaeliorin (see edit history)