Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

I can't wait for A21! But to make sure I don't cry when we get it, I just now went ahead and upgraded to 32gb ram from 16. A little birdie told me if I did, I would have happy feelings. Besides, it runs much faster than my old memory! I assume everyone else already did this a long time ago, but hey.

It wasn't service affecting at all yet...YET.

1 hour ago, Raindear Games said:

I can't wait for A21! But to make sure I don't cry when we get it, I just now went ahead and upgraded to 32gb ram from 16. A little birdie told me if I did, I would have happy feelings. Besides, it runs much faster than my old memory! I assume everyone else already did this a long time ago, but hey.

It wasn't service affecting at all yet...YET.

Too late:  https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/28129-alpha-21-dev-diary/?do=findComment&comment=504639

Just when you bought all that memory they change it so it runs on your Apple II with 8k memory 😁

On 10/5/2022 at 2:05 AM, NukemDed said:

ever heard of pulled pork? thats yum and essentially boiled meat.

and corned beef

and one of new zealands  delicacies is a 'boil up'

boiled chicken is ok too...

poached fish is nice

i am guessing you dont cook a lot...

🙂

I actually cook quite a bit. Yes those are decent examples however all have other spices, herbs, & sauces added to them. 

Boiled meat in this game is a chunk of meat boiled in a jar....even the graphic looks gross. 🤮

With all that said, I was only half serious with my original post. 

Hell in my playthrough right now, I've actually broke down & am boiling that meat.....playing on 25% loot is just brutal.......

On 11/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Roland said:

The problem right now is not that purple tier items are loot only and so that invalidates the blue tier items you crafted. The problem is that purple tier items are so common that you can be entirely kitted out with them. That was the mistake, imo. If you could only get 2-3 pieces of equipment or armor total in a play through of highest tier then everything you crafted would stay relevant and the few things you found would be special items. 

I found lowering the drop rate of Q6 items to around 5% and removing the ability to repair them makes that equipment more valuable when you find them.

7 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

I found lowering the drop rate of Q6 items to around 5% and removing the ability to repair them makes that equipment more valuable when you find them.

Valuable and unusable. If you can't repair an item, you don't want to use it until it's worth it. And it's never worth it when lower quality items do it as well.

3 hours ago, Laran Mithras said:

Item Degradation is already in the game. Items degrade, have to be repaired. Any further "Item Degradation" "enhancement" is just tedium to placate masochists. I don't want to have my M60 go from breaking to exploding into nothing to satisfy someone's idea of "Item Degradation Enhancement."

Let the excellent modding community put that kind of tedium up for offer.

Why did I receive a notification that you quoted me? :confused2:

I didn't write anything on the matter. :noidea:

9 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Valuable and unusable. If you can't repair an item, you don't want to use it until it's worth it. And it's never worth it when lower quality items do it as well.

I agree. To make that work they would need to be decisively better than Q5 and a durability increase would help as well. The q6 needs to  be good enough to make it worth carrying a spare around.

Legendary weapons might be different or good enough that at least I would actually use them for a limited time.

9 hours ago, RipClaw said:

Not true at all.  If they were unusable, then I would just remove them from game altogether.  Any I find in loot that are half or greater in durability, I would use them until broken then scrap them for parts.  Horde nights become more intense as you have to have backups so you can last all night.

Traders always had Q6 gear to sell, but at jacked up prices - the good thing is that they are 100% durability 

34 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

re: Nerdpolling.  Simply increase the time it takes to place the frames and/or remove the ability to build on top of them, OR require nails in the recipe for them.  Plenty of ways to make it not cheesy.

people would complain that building a base would be very slow then.

What about this addition:

In general, placing blocks is somewhat slow, but when you want to excessively place blocks (for building a base) then you have to place a "construction box".

That box works as a storage where you have to put all your stuff in, and it then gives you a special "fast building tool" that you can get nowhere else.

Then you can build your base fast, and if interrupted by a zombie threat, you have to run back to the construction box to get your stuff back and immediately be combat ready again.

So it wouldn't give you a hard time with the little nerd poles (that are useful and necessarily ok in day to day situations for when you get stuck in a hole, want to get over a wall, or fell down somewhere, and stuff alike)...placing a few blocks taking longer doesn't hurt that much.

But it would prevent the cheesy big poles right to the top of a T5 rooftop...because it would either take very long (without the fast building tool),

and with it, you would get up there fast but without the necessary equipment to fight a zed or open those main loot containers.

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

re: Nerdpolling.  Simply increase the time it takes to place the frames and/or remove the ability to build on top of them, OR require nails in the recipe for them.  Plenty of ways to make it not cheesy.

I think the way sphereii did it for me was to make it impossible to place a block when your feet were in the air.

That also stopped the ability to jump down from high places and place a hay block at the last moment….;)

4 hours ago, Tete1805 said:

Instead of removing nerd polling, they could also try to remove the pickup option (E) when outside your LCB.

You would still be able to escape, but it would cost you a little bit.

That wouldn’t stop nerdpoling. It would just leave the remains of nerdpoling littering the server. Then again…new chunk reset timer!

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I think the way sphereii did it for me was to make it impossible to place a block when your feet were in the air.

That also stopped the ability to jump down from high places and place a hay block at the last moment….;)

Okay. So if indeed nerdpoling were to be eliminated. Firstly, most airdrops caught in trees would become forfeit. Unless, enterprising and scheming as we are on how to boink that decision, we just carry a few hundred frames and make a set of stairs. A bit more time, but I'm not jumping up to place a block under me. Hence not poling. Ugly and inconvenient, but it will get the job done when hoping against hope there's antibiotics in that airdrop because I'm infected.

Or one can just stick blocks to the side of a building or one block away (to consider window protusions) and build a set of steps in a similar fashion. Probably won't be as effective for a really high Dishong Tower type of POI though. But I run those pretty much as intended anyways.

Point being, stop us players if ya can. We will find a way to thwart it, even if we need a mod to do so.

I did forget about the hay block trick though. Haven't considered or done that in ages.

Quite frankly, as all of us have enough to deal with the game tweaks from one Alpha to the next, I'm dismayed by those within the community who like to insist that their interpretation of the 'rules' is superior to my interpretation. And in SP, Ya'll ain't even in my game. Sheesh.

😀

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Melange said:

Quite frankly, as all of us have enough to deal with the game tweaks from one Alpha to the next, I'm dismayed by those within the community who like to insist that their interpretation of the 'rules' is superior to my interpretation. And in SP, Ya'll ain't even in my game. Sheesh.

😀

we are with you in spirit, except Snowdog, he is wandering around in his trench flashing the strippers and peeping on you in the bath. he is the reason the magazine pages are sticking together when you find them

If you want to make blocks so zombies could climb them, then wouldn’t zombies be able to climb your base walls? Also, limiting climbing to wood frames wouldn’t help either since you can just carry a stack of cobblestone blocks or concrete blocks. As for limiting block placement to only when your feet are on the ground might slow it down but not stop it. For example, here comes a wolf horde….place a few barbed wire blocks to slow their approach, place 2 cobble blocks then 2 ladders on the blocks, rinse and repeat. The only thing this does is that the player having to use up 3 belt slots for the blocks, ladders and barbed wire instead of 1 for the blocks. IMO, the effort needed to remove nerdpoling completely is much greater than the benefit. Just because you can nerdpole doesn’t mean you will use it. Some people have self control.

59 minutes ago, wolfbain5 said:

we are with you in spirit, except Snowdog, he is wandering around in his trench flashing the strippers and peeping on you in the bath. he is the reason the magazine pages are sticking together when you find them

He even ruined one of Matt's newsstands that way... now they're "worst enemies"! :spy: :fear:

3 hours ago, Roland said:

That wouldn’t stop nerdpoling. It would just leave the remains of nerdpoling littering the server. Then again…new chunk reset timer!

That would make people think about it at least.

Nerdpoling cannot be killed, since you will always be able to place blocks and jump on them, place ladders, etc.

I think it's more about balancing it. Make you think about it.