Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

1 minute ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Okay give me a scenario where a business should address customers in this form? Pimps don’t count.

You're missing the point. In THIS industry and THIS circumstance it is a perfectly valid and accurate response. Just because you don't accept it does not change that fact.

Also there was nothing that specified this coming Christmas 2022,

so meganoth wouldn't have lied even if he gave the answer "yes, it will for sure be released before Christmas"                           ...2025.

btw. Dec6th it's A20s birthday...and ideas for a proper present for the little sh@&? 😜

5 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

You're missing the point. In THIS industry and THIS circumstance it is a perfectly valid and accurate response. Just because you don't accept it does not change that fact.

Show me another entity in this industry that uses the term instead for saying something to the effect:

it will be ready in days/weeks/months/years

Being general is fine, I find “When it’s done an incomplete and boarder line trolling answer. The statement offers zero value. 

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Show me another entity in this industry that uses the term instead for saying something to the effect:

it will be ready in days/weeks/months/years

Being general is fine, I find “When it’s done an incomplete and boarder line trolling answer. The statement offers zero value. 

play.net

3 hours ago, Gamida said:

I thought so too.

We could debate back and forth until game is gold so this is my last thoughts on it.

Demanding, asking nicely same thing. You are looking for info that is not released.

No, again. You got it all wrong.

I wasn't asking info, I was asking when they estimate some info will be finally released to the public.

Fanatical_Meat, instead, was demanding for a release date because he said it's unacceptable to reply "it's done when it's done".

Do I have to spell it out for you? This is also my last post on the matter, but please, stop projecting someone else's attitude on me.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

No, again. You got it all wrong.

I wasn't asking info, I was asking when they estimate some info will be finally released to the public.

Fanatical_Meat, instead, was demanding for a release date because he said it's unacceptable to reply "it's done when it's done".

Do I have to spell it out for you? This is also my last post on the matter, but please, stop projecting someone else's attitude on me.

Where did you get I am demanding?

I am not. I am perfectly fine with “we don’t give dates” or better “we are trying make it by end of the year and it may slip”

I do not like “When it’s done” because no answer was given.

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

true, you didn't swear, no vulgarities what so ever. but a promise is a different story.

Uhh? I was assuming you were joking when you said something about me saying something yesterday about the alpha release. If that was serious, please show me a link where I said that.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I am not. I am perfectly fine with “we don’t give dates” or better “we are trying make it by end of the year and it may slip”

Well, you said yourself that "it's done when it's done" is unacceptable.

Logic would suggest that the opposite is required then: if between A and B you can only accept "NOT A", then you're basically leaving B as the only answer. :) 

1 minute ago, Jost Amman said:

Well, you said yourself that "it's done when it's done" is unacceptable.

Logic would suggest that the opposite is required then: if between A and B you can only accept "NOT A", then you're basically leaving B as the only answer. :) 

Plenty of other word choices to “When it’s done” as Hitler said it is rude/disrespectful.

3 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Plenty of other word choices to “When it’s done” as Hitler said it is rude/disrespectful.

Yes, and surely we should take whatever Hitler says as truth, especially with such a reliable translation 😁

Seriously. "when it's done" seems to have been coined by the company that developed Duke Nukem and especially Duke Nukem Fourever. As such it became a meme just like Bill Gates "you only ever need 640k RAM" for example. Everyone **usually** knows what it means. Except you as you still seem to complain about it having no message, no information. It also fits the tongue-in-cheek communication that TFP maintains with the community of players.

2 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Not sure if you changed tack since yesterday, or I cut in at the wrong part of the argument (Yesterday you seemed to be saying no other industry accepts vague deadlines, today you seem to be okay with vague deadlines, but don't like the phrasing).

But, if it's just the phrasing you don't like, then it may be that you just don't  get the industry "in joke". But it's such a common in joke (i.e. at least from 25 years ago when I did my degree) that it's now on mainstream media, in Wkitionaries, etc.

Screenshot_20221119_072635.thumb.jpg.d969aa0d7a645a8371de67187d0755e4.jpg

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow

Screenshot_20221119_072812.thumb.jpg.199df10431457114434d32bb5a75d261.jpg

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/john-carmack-of-id-software-says-doom-4-will-be-done-when-its-done-3605111.html

It's not meant to be rude, it's an industry in joke.

18 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

Not sure if you changed tack since yesterday, or I cut in at the wrong part of the argument (Yesterday you seemed to be saying no other industry accepts vague deadlines, today you seem to be okay with vague deadlines, but don't like the phrasing).

But, if it's just the phrasing you don't like, then it may be that you just don't  get the industry "in joke". But it's such a common in joke (i.e. at least from 25 years ago when I did my degree) that it's now on mainstream media, in Wkitionaries, etc.

Screenshot_20221119_072635.thumb.jpg.d969aa0d7a645a8371de67187d0755e4.jpg

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealSoonNow

Screenshot_20221119_072812.thumb.jpg.199df10431457114434d32bb5a75d261.jpg

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/john-carmack-of-id-software-says-doom-4-will-be-done-when-its-done-3605111.html

It's not meant to be rude, it's an industry in joke.

Quick points I am fine and have been fine with them saying we don’t give dates. I am not fine with semi trolling of when it’s ready.

I am sure the fun pimps want to follow Duke Nukem 4 (sarcasm). Point being is the last person to used it went bankrupt.

2 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Quick points I am fine and have been fine with them saying we don’t give dates. I am not fine with semi trolling of when it’s ready.

I am sure the fun pimps want to follow Duke Nukem 4 (sarcasm). Point being is the last person to used it went bankrupt.

Err, no? The article I linked was to Doom 4. Doom 3 by the same author was a pretty big success by a 30 year old company

image.thumb.png.1d3919c563f829d6445760227efe47d5.png

9 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

They've been saying for years they don't give dates. And yet people like you keep asking. And you expect them not to have a little fun with it? "Done when it's done" isn't trolling; it's kind of simply a fact, really. Not sure why you are getting so butthurt about it.

20 minutes ago, bdubyah said:

They've been saying for years they don't give dates. And yet people like you keep asking. And you expect them not to have a little fun with it? "Done when it's done" isn't trolling; it's kind of simply a fact, really. Not sure why you are getting so butthurt about it.

I’m not asking. 
I am saying “When it’s done” is a rude non answer.

We don’t give dates is a perfectly fine answer & policy.

30 minutes ago, Pernicious said:

Err, no? The article I linked was to Doom 4. Doom 3 by the same author was a pretty big success by a 30 year old company

image.thumb.png.1d3919c563f829d6445760227efe47d5.png

Apologies I think I got links mixed up.

that was 10 years ago.

1 hour ago, bdubyah said:

"When it's done" and "We don't give dates" means the same thing. You're just hung on something that makes no sense.

I don’t like those words when someone asks when do you expect x to be released. I still cannot imagine any modern business using “when it’s done” I still haven’t been show an example of a business using them except the john carmack quote from 10 years ago.

I do not like those words.

I would not let people I manage use those words to external customers.

Why people keep questioning me about this is unknown to me.

8 hours ago, meganoth said:

Uhh? I was assuming you were joking when you said something about me saying something yesterday about the alpha release. If that was serious, please show me a link where I said that.

yes, i was teasing you, cause saying yes or no to the question they asked woulda been the same.

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

yes, i was teasing you, cause saying yes or no to the question they asked woulda been the same.

How so? Answering "no" would pinpoint the release at exactly one day of the year, christmas and is almost surely false. While answering "yes" is almost certainly correct. Which after all was the joke as the answer was true but useless.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Why people keep questioning me about this is unknown to me.

Once upon a career, I was responsible for the installation of a critical piece of new equipment at the factory. A manager of the entire scheme would come and visit the factory every 2 weeks or so to demand, er, review the status of the big plan from everyone involved. 

"Mel, are you going to complete such-and-such task by the stated date?"

"Yes"

"What's your level of assurance?"

"51.3%""

"What?"

"Well, I could just lie to make you feel better. It'll get done. Relax."

Daggers.

And it was done, two weeks ahead of schedule. And that manager always had his knickers in a twist after exhibiting his authority in those update sessions. Phht. No sense of humor. Never would ask one-on-one for info. Always had to be in a group meeting. That didn't work out so well between us. Leave us alone, we know what we're doing. To have said "Its done when its done" would have been truthful. Just not what Mr I-am-in-control manager could accept. Cue the Hitler video....

He never did get the joke. And he's sill employed there, relieved that I had moved on to do bigger and better things.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, Melange said:

Once upon a career, I was responsible for the installation of a critical piece of new equipment at the factory. A manager of the entire scheme would come and visit the factory every 2 weeks or so to demand, er, review the status of the big plan from everyone involved. 

"Mel, are you going to complete such-and-such task by the stated date?"

"Yes"

"What's your level of assurance?"

"51.3%""

"What?"

"Well, I could just lie to make you feel better. It'll get done. Relax."

Daggers.

And it was done, two weeks ahead of schedule. And that manager always had his knickers in a twist after exhibiting his authority in those update sessions. Phht. No sense of humor. Never would ask one-on-one for info. Always had to be in a group meeting. That didn't work out so well between us. Leave us alone, we know what we're doing. To have said "Its done when its done" would have been truthful. Just not what Mr I-am-in-control manager could accept. Cue the Hitler video....

He never did get the joke. And he's sill employed there, relieved that I had moved on to do bigger and better things.

Good for you!