Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

43 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

They want to make bandits in 2 parts - usually there is 2 - 3 alpha per year --> so probably A21 will be in november in this year and A22 in may in 2023 so.... november sounds good because.... hallowen

2 or 3 alphas per year? We still talking about 7 Days here??? :D

8 hours ago, Laz Man said:

giphy (4).gif

7 hours ago, Gamida said:

Did you use that skeleton because you know it would make matt happy :)

YYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSS SKELETON!!!!!!!! I LOVE SKELETONS SOOOO MUCH

Damn i need skeleton in A21 so much

9 minutes ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

So basically, if I want better performance in a skyscraper, just break all of the window?  

Occam's 'Mallet hypothesis - The easiest solution involves the biggest hammer

there is better option - put explosive barrels on 0 floor and shot - there will 2 FPS for 1 minut but after that you will have stable 60 🤪

Npc AI is 24 months to design, prepare, code and polish a bit by 1 person at the very least. The event system is something similar in depth. Not counting RWG , those are the toughest systems remaining. Character creation and water as well as the event thingie are deployed through many devs, so no real delay there vs npc AI.

7dtd might be released at some point before 2026 at the latest, so 13 years is a good timespawn for a breakthrough indie project. See Kenshi, Rimworld, etc.

I would prefer that they loosen the sharp stick up their dev cycle and just call it 1.0 at random with more core system development through gold and onwards, like Empyrion did. What does it matter anyway? We are enjoying the heck out of the game.

And caves. Kinirjakujuu pinky-promised, lol.

7 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Npc AI is 24 months to design, prepare, code and polish a bit by 1 person at the very least. The event system is something similar in depth. Not counting RWG , those are the toughest systems remaining. Character creation and water as well as the event thingie are deployed through many devs, so no real delay there vs npc AI.

7dtd might be released at some point before 2026 at the latest, so 13 years is a good timespawn for a breakthrough indie project. See Kenshi, Rimworld, etc.

I would prefer that they loosen the sharp stick up their dev cycle and just call it 1.0 at random with more core system development through gold and onwards, like Empyrion did. What does it matter anyway? We are enjoying the heck out of the game.

And caves. Kinirjakujuu pinky-promised, lol.

What's your basis on how long it takes to code AI? (genuine curiosity) I'm sure @faatal would be able to do it much quicker since he isn't starting from straight scratch. While AI is certainly a very taxing endeavor I feel like 24 months is a bit steep (unless of course we were starting from nothing and working our way up. Though I couldn't even come close to guessing a time frame without seeing what's being worked with and being an amateur coder myself I'd definitely take longer than a professional.

12 minutes ago, Snowydeath said:

What's your basis on how long it takes to code AI? (genuine curiosity) I'm sure @faatal would be able to do it much quicker since he isn't starting from straight scratch. While AI is certainly a very taxing endeavor I feel like 24 months is a bit steep (unless of course we were starting from nothing and working our way up. Though I couldn't even come close to guessing a time frame without seeing what's being worked with and being an amateur coder myself I'd definitely take longer than a professional.

Zd AI took around 2 years to reach this point by 1 person (faatal) but the feature was not being focused on 100%, due to other features  . Worst case scenario is 24 months, not factoring previous work that might quicken the process. It's a fairly realistic estimate if we also account that,- from here to Gold-, Npc AI will not be faatal's full focus ALL the time, hence the 2 years. 

We kind of know what's being worked on (mostly). Props,, POI, RWG, AI, Water, npc models, etc etc. After a few years listening, nerds just can tell most of it barring those surprises that always pop up, and in this case, madmole is in the shadows of one of the big ones yet.

12 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Zd AI took around 2 years to reach this point by 1 person (faatal) but the feature was not being focused on 100%, due to other features  . Worst case scenario is 24 months, not factoring previous work that might quicken the process. It's a fairly realistic estimate if we also account that,- from here to Gold-, Npc AI will not be faatal's full focus ALL the time, hence the 2 years. 

We kind of know what's being worked on (mostly). Props,, POI, RWG, AI, Water, npc models, etc etc. After a few years listening, nerds just can tell most of it barring those surprises that always pop up, and in this case, madmole is in the shadows of one of the big ones yet.

I like the in depth answer you gave me and yeah 24 months is probably a decent guesstimate, especially factoring in the unknown variables. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose. Either way I can wait and enjoy the updates to come regardless of the content. This game has come very far since I began playing back in 2014.

Sure we love to wonder how many times a dev has a snack in between clicks per hour. 

15 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

The exact release date for the new AI is on Monday, May 13, 2024.  :nerd:

This is just a rough estimate, of course...

What if it becomes true? You will instabecome the new 2012 prophet. 

46 minutes ago, Roland said:

What if faatal's AI turns out the be The One that evolves beyond its purpose and attempts to enslave us all and use our bodies as batteries?

We'll just wait for the new AI to fall through the world... :heh:

14 hours ago, overgoat said:

Feature Request for A21:  Could we please get an option to favorite or lock items in your inventory?  This could prevent accidental scrapping/selling/or transferring when doing transfer all.  I just accidentally scrapped my nerdy glasses today which made me think of this, but it could also be useful for keeping a stack of fuel in your vehicle that doesn't get moved out by when you select all inventory or a stack of first aid kits in your drone that you don't want to take out.  

there are mods that do this. 

15 minutes ago, spud42 said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.  But with that said, simple quality of life mods are usually good candidates to be added to the base game.  Nothing wrong with free, fan-sourced development!

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

2 hours ago, overgoat said:

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.  But with that said, simple quality of life mods are usually good candidates to be added to the base game.  Nothing wrong with free, fan-sourced development!

The only two mods I know of right now that do that are Subquakes, which is a major overhaul and Westwuds, which I am using myself right now. I am not sure but I don't think it locks the slots in chests or vehicles. I know it will lock specific slots in my inventory. For now it may be closest thing we have for the ability to lock slots.

3 hours ago, overgoat said:

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

The only two mods I know of right now that do that are Subquakes, which is a major overhaul and Westwuds, which I am using myself right now. I am not sure but I don't think it locks the slots in chests or vehicles. I know it will lock specific slots in my inventory. For now it may be closest thing we have for the ability to lock slots.

I didn't know of subquake's. Khaine has been doing that mod since the stash buttons first came out -- his mod just enables the UI for something that is already in the game. w00kien00kie also has a mod for it -- he created a stash functionality for Ravenhearst before it was added to 7 Days to Die, and has since adApted it to work with the built-in functionality.

Khaine's mod can be found here: 

w00kien00kie's mod cannot be downloaded standalone, but you can install just the backpack part of it. It is part of his larger mini-overhaul mod which can be found here: 

According to w00kie you can install the stashbackpack with increasebagsize separately from the other modules, though you cannot install the stashbackpack without the increasebagsize.

I didn't see subquake's mod in the forum. Or, at least, I didn't see it as a standalone.

Edited by dcsobral
corrections about wookie's mod (see edit history)

I have used Khaines backpack mod before. Khaines locks the slots in order from 1st at top left to right. The reason I use Westwoods as I can lock specific slots. As in I like to have my wood, stone and fibers in the slots to far left starting at top and going down left side. I also like to lock my water and food in right slots starting at top and going down. And for some reason I like my empty jars and feather going across bottom left. I put all these things in those spots from when I started playing and am now used to it.

Subquakes are built into his overhaul mod and are not standalone.

I didn't know of w00kien00kie's mod. I may have to check that one out also.

19 hours ago, overgoat said:

Feature Request for A21:  Could we please get an option to favorite or lock items in your inventory?  This could prevent accidental scrapping/selling/or transferring when doing transfer all.  I just accidentally scrapped my nerdy glasses today which made me think of this, but it could also be useful for keeping a stack of fuel in your vehicle that doesn't get moved out by when you select all inventory or a stack of first aid kits in your drone that you don't want to take out.  

That's a great QoL suggestion. It would make dumping and sorting items even easier, and faster. 

20 hours ago, Gamida said:

I have used Khaines backpack mod before. Khaines locks the slots in order from 1st at top left to right. The reason I use Westwoods as I can lock specific slots. As in I like to have my wood, stone and fibers in the slots to far left starting at top and going down left side. I also like to lock my water and food in right slots starting at top and going down. And for some reason I like my empty jars and feather going across bottom left. I put all these things in those spots from when I started playing and am now used to it.

Subquakes are built into his overhaul mod and are not standalone.

I didn't know of w00kien00kie's mod. I may have to check that one out also.

I can't find this westwood mod you're speaking of. Do you have a link? I use Khaines, but my biggest gripe with it is the fact that I have to set every time I start the game. Curious if this other version remembers what you lock, even after rebooting the game.