Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 11/10/2023 at 6:47 AM, Blake_ said:

A polite question to the devs:

Why is it that 7dtd has everything renewed, like in assets, POI structures and design, items, weapons, animations, animals, textures, roads, RWG, zds, trees, grass, flowers!, every prop,  shadows, postpro effects, complex LODs and LOD tunning, heavy optimized area loading, memory and CPU optimization to make the Pentagon cry in awe, a skyline to die for and npcs on the way with Skynet-like intelligence and WE STILL HAVE ROAD DECALS (blood, newspapers,cardboard) FROM ALPHA FREAKING ONE?!! (is he shouting? he IS shouting, what an unpolite forum user, good heavens ! -sips tea-).

The road thing's absolutely on their radar.  I inquired about it in chat during one of the A21 previews because seeing the roads in a town pairing up with the big blank slabs of asphalt that comprise the main roads between towns very jarring.

2 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

It's a twitch integration thing, they're basically hostile chickens 🙂 don't underestimate them though!

Thanks.

Never heard of them. 

I wonder if there introduction was started about a story I told here a few months ago. 

I went into a gun store up north in the Navezgane map. I got rushed by a bunch of zombies, a wild animal and then a chicken. All at the same time. 

For a second, I was thinking, is the chicken going to attack me to. lol Turned out that it was simply chased in. 

May have given TFP's some ideas. 😄

Well now, looks like I need to watch out for them as well. 

1 hour ago, Kalex said:

DO NOT want murder chickens in my game.

Zombie chickens would be hilarious.

On 11/10/2023 at 7:10 PM, Crater Creator said:

The artists haven’t forgotten about the road decals. It’s just as well that they’ve waited to address them. Now there are other considerations, namely the lane markers and other painted markings, that could hopefully all be accommodated in an improved decal system.

So long as the game is in alpha, we’re going to see imbalances like this, where some things are noticeably more finished than others.

So is that the plan? To move all the new road marker stuff to decals instead of blocks? That could be nice as it would open up more space for new blocks, as there isn't a ton of space left for mods at this point with all the new shapes and stuff.

12 hours ago, bdubyah said:

So is that the plan? To move all the new road marker stuff to decals instead of blocks? That could be nice as it would open up more space for new blocks, as there isn't a ton of space left for mods at this point with all the new shapes and stuff.

I hope so, because it’s annoying to have those markers take up the voxel above the road. There are probably other cases where a decal would be preferable. The artists recently mentioned needing to remake the existing decals (sometime).

1 hour ago, Crater Creator said:

I hope so, because it’s annoying to have those markers take up the voxel above the road.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but there are shapes that interlock/allow for another shape to be placed within its transparent boundaries.

39 minutes ago, Arez said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but there are shapes that interlock/allow for another shape to be placed within its transparent boundaries.

Would be nice if that was possible. Would fix those floating blocks on roofs. No more floating sleeping bags, campfires, chests, etc.

21 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Would be nice if that was possible. Would fix those floating blocks on roofs. No more floating sleeping bags, campfires, chests, etc.

It seems to be possible. The sink can go inside the cabinet and window frames interlock at their edges. 

I was also watching someone stream the game (vanilla) and they placed a campfire on top of a sheet, where the sheet's transparent boundaries were facing up. 

Maybe it would just be a lot of work to recode all the blocks for it to be possible. 

9 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

I hope so, because it’s annoying to have those markers take up the voxel above the road. There are probably other cases where a decal would be preferable. The artists recently mentioned needing to remake the existing decals (sometime).

Ask them to make lots of decals for content creation please.