Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

No. The real difference is that the devs have to deeply balance vanilla, and everything in it, with whatever they introduce or change.

That takes more time the closer we get to release, because every change can potentially impact many other systems and in-game objects.

What people are talking about now is not "quality", it's OCD.

The artists are adding assets to the game as they finish them. If the artist decided to fix the buttons (if they AREN'T his own little joke after all) then it won't hold up A21 at all. Any art assets that are done in time will be added and any that aren't done in time will be added later. There are changes that do impact other systems but since the buttons don't actually work and are just for show there is no impact or delay at all. The vending machine got a face lift but it still works the same as it always has. It is a container with a menu that will let you spend dukes to get items inside that have no dynamic connection to what is seen through the glass as you walk up to it. You won't be inserting dukes and pushing buttons and watching your item spiral out to fall into the slot below.

You won't be inserting dukes and pushing buttons and watching your item spiral out to fall into the slot below.

that sounds cool tho, dont be lazy. i wouldnt mind pushing a21 release 6 more months just to see that. you can blame me on the forums for the delay. ill be proud of it.

tho that would actually need a randome chance that the item gets stuck and you have to break the thing, so lets give it a year for full development

and the 12 button is the one that has the randome chance to get fked, because you know, we asked for it.

10 minutes ago, Mumpfy said:

You won't be inserting dukes and pushing buttons and watching your item spiral out to fall into the slot below.

that sounds cool tho, dont be lazy. i wouldnt mind pushing a21 release 6 more months just to see that. you can blame me on the forums for the delay. ill be proud of it.

tho that would actually need a randome chance that the item gets stuck and you have to break the thing, so lets give it a year for full development

and the 12 button is the one that has the randome chance to get fked, because you know, we asked for it.

I bet you will enjoy this animation while a couple of zombies munch your bottocks :)

1 minute ago, beerfly said:

I bet you will enjoy this animation while a couple of zombies munch your bottocks :)

i cant really think of anything else i would prefer while getting my bottocks munched (if thats a word)

since we are at it, this maybe its more helpful than the buttons complain.... i mean feedback.

the party girl zed model is missing a triangle (mesh face) on one of her boobs at least in the lod0 model.

Fe8nM55.png

FM8eBnS.jpg

i noticed it while re texturing her, i was NOT staring at her boobs, totally not, no way. it was an art look. sure.

6 hours ago, Mumpfy said:

one would assume the system works 1 way only. either you enter the number one digit at the time... for what you need an ENTER button later (so if you want A 11 it dosnt take A1 before you end pushing buttons) or one button per number so pick a letter and then just push 1 button.

Generally, if they have double digits and only a 0-9 number pad, you enter a padding 0.  So, A01.  Though you can also have an enter key if they want to have verification that you chose the correct item.  But, yeah, you already have 10 and 11, so that wasn't the intent.  Also, the even/odd number thing is common usually if you have big and small items like this... The big items use even numbers because they take twice the space and the small items use all numbers so that numbers align.  Could definitely use some improvement there.

And as someone what pointed out, we are using dukes, so having it look like someone customized the coin slot to work with dukes would be nice, but not too important.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

4 hours ago, rateds2k said:

Only issue I see with the new vending machine is that it looks full, even when empty. Or will it be dynamic?

Are vending machines in 7DTD ever empty, though? I thought it was broken vs. working. Though, given that, it would be nice to add a mechanic where broken machines could be dismantled for a random collection of candies.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:45 PM, Arma Rex said:

The vending machines have an updated model now.

I wonder, is that a new vending machine or a replacement model for the existing vending machine? I mean, it would be nice to keep the one that would appear to sell cans/bottles too. I hope this new asset is not a replacement for that.

53 minutes ago, zztong said:

I wonder, is that a new vending machine or a replacement model for the existing vending machine? I mean, it would be nice to keep the one that would appear to sell cans/bottles too. I hope this new asset is not a replacement for that.

I'm guessing replacement, as the updated forge model is. That said, I agree it would be cool to still have the other one, too. Make one that sells the various candies/foods, and the other sells drinks.

6 hours ago, Roland said:

The artists are adding assets to the game as they finish them. If the artist decided to fix the buttons (if they AREN'T his own little joke after all) then it won't hold up A21 at all. Any art assets that are done in time will be added and any that aren't done in time will be added later. There are changes that do impact other systems but since the buttons don't actually work and are just for show there is no impact or delay at all. The vending machine got a face lift but it still works the same as it always has. It is a container with a menu that will let you spend dukes to get items inside that have no dynamic connection to what is seen through the glass as you walk up to it. You won't be inserting dukes and pushing buttons and watching your item spiral out to fall into the slot below.

Thanks for the thorough reply, but my post was more intended as a hyperbole to point out that some things, even if still feedback, have, in my opinion, a very low priority for most players. I would say that something that doesn't impact gameplay at all, is probably low priority for a lot of people beyond me.

6 hours ago, Mumpfy said:

the party girl zed model is missing a triangle

Spoiler

I always suspected that she was missing the triangle bush... ehm... mesh... whatever. :confused2:

8 hours ago, Roland said:

Are they going redo the old tree models at some point? I like the newer snowy trees but a lot of the regular forest trees look very dated 

Edited by Maxley (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Maxley said:

Are they going redo the old tree models at some point? I like the newer snowy trees but a lot of the regular forest trees look very dated 

As for the trees, I would like the stump to remain when cutting down. the fact that now they are falling, as if the tree was not cut, but dug up, looks strange)

3 hours ago, HB_H4wk said:

It would be a nice addition to see maybe pallet jacks or forklifts at some point. Maybe some other Industrial models added to the game.

How about a forklift that is pinning a dead zombie against a wall impaled with the forks with plenty of gore and blood and you have to climb over it to get through to the next part of the POI? Would that fill the bill?

18 minutes ago, Roland said:

How about a forklift that is pinning a dead zombie against a wall impaled with the forks with plenty of gore and blood and you have to climb over it to get through to the next part of the POI? Would that fill the bill?

If we can`t use dye colors on the forklift, nope. 

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Not if the forklift texture was wrong. 

4 hours ago, Roland said:

yes please

On 3/22/2023 at 1:37 PM, Roland said:

Pfff! You make it sound like this sort of thing is difficult...

Fallout Pie GIF - Fallout Pie Perfectly Preserved Pie GIFs

-Arch Necromancer Morloc 💀