Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

17 minutes ago, NekoPawtato said:

Are there any damage changes for existing blocks that already gets destroyed via vehicle in a20? For example driving a 4x4 through wasteland it would be inevitable that you'd run over cinder blocks if you go off-road, does that mean the vehicle will take more damage in a21 running over that same block? 

I hope so. Vehicles in A20 seem to be virtually indestructible. And while it's easy to ragdoll a zombie, they don't take hardly any damage either. If you've ever set out to kill a zombie with a vehicle, it takes forever. So I'm glad that's all getting another pass.

The interesting case for me is when it's not all or nothing: when the vehicle doesn't slam into a wall and stop, nor is every block in the path destroyed. Since the game can't easily simulate elastic collisions with blocks - e.g. truck hits a pile of bricks and the bricks go flying - I would focus on the slowdown from hitting blocks of different masses. It would be great if driving through different types of blocks slowed the vehicle down by greater or lesser amounts, as it goes through without necessarily destroying the block. Then the 4x4 for instance could be the best vehicle for driving off road on grass or sand, while the motorcycle can be king of the roads.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

17 hours ago, faatal said:

We have a few big vehicle changes coming in A21. Killing the weaker zombies and animals or smashing through weaker blocks in one hit is now possible, but your vehicle will take significant damage and each repair kit will only restore a portion of the vehicle health. The higher health a vehicle has, the more kits you would need.

I enjoy working on particle effects and just today made the blood splatter and got it hooked into the hit velocity, so it flies around. Satisfying seeing blood on the street or wall after you nailed a zombie. Is a variation of the corpse eating blood splatter effect I added several months ago to make that look more like they are actually tearing into the corpse. Zombies be hungry.

Added: Vehicles are repaired a fixed amount by repair kits and each level of Grease Monkey adds 10% (of max vehicle health)

Changed: Increased vehicle block, terrain and entity damage given and received by various amounts

Changed: Greatly increased vehicle block damage and self damage

Changed: Improved vehicle block collision damage calculations

Changed: Increased bicycle, gryo and 4x4 health

Added: Vehicle sparks on bigger self damage hits

Added: Vehicle blood splatter when doing high damage collisions with entities

Sounds awesome! Do you think it's possible to extend this mechanics to shots in the future? So that the bloodstains remain on the walls for at least a few seconds?

18 hours ago, faatal said:

We have a few big vehicle changes coming in A21. Killing the weaker zombies and animals or smashing through weaker blocks in one hit is now possible, but your vehicle will take significant damage and each repair kit will only restore a portion of the vehicle health. The higher health a vehicle has, the more kits you would need.

I enjoy working on particle effects and just today made the blood splatter and got it hooked into the hit velocity, so it flies around. Satisfying seeing blood on the street or wall after you nailed a zombie. Is a variation of the corpse eating blood splatter effect I added several months ago to make that look more like they are actually tearing into the corpse. Zombies be hungry.

Added: Vehicles are repaired a fixed amount by repair kits and each level of Grease Monkey adds 10% (of max vehicle health)

Changed: Increased vehicle block, terrain and entity damage given and received by various amounts

Changed: Greatly increased vehicle block damage and self damage

Changed: Improved vehicle block collision damage calculations

Changed: Increased bicycle, gryo and 4x4 health

Added: Vehicle sparks on bigger self damage hits

Added: Vehicle blood splatter when doing high damage collisions with entities

This is great news!  I love running zombies and animals over.  Bears are especially fun with a 4x4.  And seeing actual damage to the vehicle is good.  I only repaired a vehicle once in my first game just to see what was used for the repair.  One game I did have it down to under 25% and I would have to repair it if I were to continue playing that game, but I probably won't go back to that one.  So the change makes sense.

My one concern with the increased block damage is that I just ran into my solar panel by accident last night and it lost about 75% of it's health.  I would hate to have destroyed it and the cells in it just because I wasn't paying attention to my driving.  Now I have a fence around it, but I hope it either gets more health or doesn't get destroyed by hitting it once with the vehicles in A21.  I'm fine with it losing 75% health as long as it isn't destroyed on one hit.  Of course, now I know to be more careful, but that is a very expensive mistake if you lose one with all tier 6 cells in it.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 12/16/2022 at 1:43 AM, Roland said:

This is going to be the last puzzle. The remaining unknown features of A21 will have to remain unknown until either dev streams start or the update happens. I decided to make you actually work for this one so the nonogram is a real one I generated and the solution to it is part of the puzzle. It isn't just an image of any nonogram. 

I'm not completely happy with the ending but hopefully it gets the point across. :) 

image.thumb.png.7d8b530562777ca72a2d324ff8506c36.png

Is the Santa minus smiles and Christmas tree mean: We will not be happy that it will not be release on or before Christmas?

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Zombie hunting licence please. Do you have a permit for that rocket launcher in the back?

I'm sorry zombie Officer Mallcop they aren't mine!  This is a delivery to the trader!  I swore to trader Rehkt I would deliver no less than 3 rockets through his window before nightfall!  

Edited by KenGross (see edit history)

One of my greatest joys lately is refreshing this main post each day to see newly added items. I share each of them with my community as I notice changes and everyone is pretty hyped!

Really love the trend of features leaning into more of the survival aspects of a zombie apocalypse and have tried to focus on modding efforts that go along with this. A21 is shaping up to be an incredible experience!!

Edited by kanaverum (see edit history)

1 hour ago, KenGross said:

I'm sorry zombie Officer Mallcop they aren't mine!  This is a delivery to the trader!  I swore to trader Rehkt I would deliver no less than 3 rockets through his window before nightfall!  

So you confess to theft and gun trafficking? I may offer you a deal if you testify against your fence there, this Rekt guy.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Roland said:

No more playing drunk…

Might have to start making proper roads from my base to towns now then. Any chance can add in roads in RNG maps like was in KingGen.

Would love to be able to repair a superhighway across the map.

Or at least some large tunnel blocks so I can make something like this at bedrock across the map

HL4dqhK.jpg

Edited by Gamida (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Gamida said:

Might have to start making proper roads from my base to towns now then. Any chance can add in roads in RNG maps like was in KingGen.

Would love to be able to repair a superhighway across the map.

Or at least some large tunnel blocks so I can make something like this at bedrock across the map

HL4dqhK.jpg

Stargate!

On 12/17/2022 at 8:59 AM, NekoPawtato said:

Are there any damage changes for existing blocks that already gets destroyed via vehicle in a20? For example driving a 4x4 through wasteland it would be inevitable that you'd run over cinder blocks if you go off-road, does that mean the vehicle will take more damage in a21 running over that same block? 

Vehicles would take the same damage as a20. Those blocks have a damage multiplier that increases it for the block, but not the vehicle.