Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

On 11/13/2022 at 5:12 PM, wolfbain5 said:

then this is why you dont have the issue. it is not a setting. MM acknowledged the problem months ago. just wondering if they found a fix yet.

There was an issue with one of the weather values not syncing across the network, which was fixed several months ago (a21).

So the last time I visited these forums months back, my final posts were less than constructive and based solely on negative emotion. If I could change the past I would, but what's done is done and all there is to do is learn from them, move forward, and continue to improve. I'm still having a blast playing 7 Days To Die and I don't see that changing anytime soon. While I do have some amount of concerns about some upcoming features, I will grow and adapt just like I did with the inclusion of Demolishers, the new farming system, so forth. A21 is certainly taking a different direction in some aspects and I am cautiously optimistic about the future. :)

Also, thank you, and I do sincerely mean THANK YOU, for rebalancing the traders. The details are murky as of the time of me writing this, but in my opinion they presented themselves as too much of a clutch in previous (and current) alphas, even when used sparingly. But that's just my perspective.

This post isn't relevant to A21 (nor did I feel like it deserved it's own post, but I could be mistaken), but has there at some point been discussion of specialized loot sliders? :) One for medical items, another ammo, a slider for the frequency of finding gear (weapons, tools, armor), so forth?

Edit reason: Merged with my previous post; separated them.

Edited by MechanicalLens (see edit history)

@faatal @madmole Hi, I am not sure if this was answered in another post. Apologies if it was, but I couldn't find anything. For weather (in A21 or beyond) will it be changed to a "World weather system" so it doesn't instantly change when crossing to another biome? This would also result in more variable weather in all the biomes which would be great. Why can't we have a sunny day in the wasteland, or a gloomy day in the desert? I think this would especially help with fog being an issue 24/7 in certain biomes when using the Gyrocopter. 

Temperature on the other hand should fluctuate, but still follow the biome type, with a broader threshold on biome borders. 

Any info on the topic is appreciated. Thank you.  

Edited by Rabbitslovecactus (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Doomofman said:

That is actually amazing.... Bravo...

HOWEVER

Did I see something about chests being locked behind loot level hidden in there? 🤔

Sorry. No. That was simply me poking fun at the argument that friends who play together apparently dictate who gets to open chests. It’s not a game mechanic that gates people from opening chests—it’s just people doing it to each other. 😜

11 hours ago, Rabbitslovecactus said:

@faatal @madmole Hi, I am not sure if this was answered in another post. Apologies if it was, but I couldn't find anything. For weather (in A21 or beyond) will it be changed to a "World weather system" so it doesn't instantly change when crossing to another biome? This would also result in more variable weather in all the biomes which would be great. Why can't we have a sunny day in the wasteland, or a gloomy day in the desert? I think this would especially help with fog being an issue 24/7 in certain biomes when using the Gyrocopter. 

Temperature on the other hand should fluctuate, but still follow the biome type, with a broader threshold on biome borders. 

Any info on the topic is appreciated. Thank you.  

A21 weather should be the same. It was just a bug fix so it looks the same on server and clients.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:57 PM, Trankitas said:

Yeah it's Hidden Wires, that's a cool addition! At first I loved how they looked but in some cases (small houses, depos, horde bases) they get on my nerves a bit.

But @Roland gave us a puzzle to solve. And I read it as three words:

Stretch Hidden Wires

-or-

Pull Hidden Wires

Both answers would alude to the same imo. Either way, if it is indeed the solution, I would welcome it for A21.

Stretch/Pull + Hidden Figures - figures + The cast of The Wire = Stretch Hidden Wires

Thanks to those above who filled in the gaps. Because I didn't recognize anyones image, nor knew their significance. 

Or I'm not spot on in my logic. It was fun though.

Edited by Melange (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Roland said:

A bit "shadowed", but at least it express some of my current concerns: how builders/gatherers are going to progress. Since A18 I changed a bit my playstyle, but what I'm "hating" the most it's to be forced to change my playstyle completely otherwise I could be stuck in stone age forever. I'll not overreact 'cause we don't know how to play A21 and I don't really mind the water changes, but, at least for now, I can't have positive thoughts towards the learn by looting.

1 hour ago, lord_ahriman said:

A bit "shadowed", but at least it express some of my current concerns: how builders/gatherers are going to progress.

There is one thing in the video that shows a definite problem. One of the sentences is "But not only that, I will be forced to stop building and farming and play all of the game?!".

These two activities are completely optional in A20. You have no disadvantage without them. And unless POIs become useless as bases in A21 and food is so scarce that you can't survive without farming, they will remain optional. So players who loot 7 days a week, build nothing, farm nothing will not have to change their playstyle for A21.

On the contrary. If you loot the majority of the time you will progress much faster in A21 than players who "play all of the game". This inevitably happens when you tie progress to only one activity.

18 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

There is one thing in the video that shows a definite problem. One of the sentences is "But not only that, I will be forced to stop building and farming and play all of the game?!".

These two activities are completely optional in A20. You have no disadvantage without them. And unless POIs become useless as bases in A21 and food is so scarce that you can't survive without farming, they will remain optional. So players who loot 7 days a week, build nothing, farm nothing will not have to change their playstyle for A21.

On the contrary. If you loot the majority of the time you will progress much faster in A21 than players who "play all of the game". This inevitably happens when you tie progress to only one activity.

I liked all of my jokes in the video but my absolute favorite was when Hitler tells everyone who likes looting to leave the room and almost everybody leaves.

I don't think its going to be a problem. ;)

22 hours ago, Roland said:

Lol. The secret stash bit brought  belly laughs. 

Regarding the wiring changes, hiding wiring with some well placed relays was an enjoyable challenge and part of the way I like to play which is trying to keep bases real and authentic. Part of the fun of survival games for me is the challenge of maintaining the authenticity of the personal experience -keeping things real amid an extreme external experience. Hiding wires is not a big loss and I'm sure a positive for most players but it is another small detail removed.

10 minutes ago, WarWren said:

Lol. The secret stash bit brought  belly laughs. 

Regarding the wiring changes, hiding wiring with some well placed relays was an enjoyable challenge and part of the way I like to play which is trying to keep bases real and authentic. Part of the fun of survival games for me is the challenge of maintaining the authenticity of the personal experience -keeping things real amid an extreme external experience. Hiding wires is not a big loss and I'm sure a positive for most players but it is another small detail removed.

It's probably a really simple true/false value that can be edited in the xmls. I don't know for sure but hopefully so. You also can still strive to build so the wires are hidden even when holding the tool just to meet the challenge of it. Glad you liked the video :)

4 hours ago, zztong said:

Just curious ... With the hidden wires, do you still see the wires running between electric fence posts without having a wiring tool equiped?

If it's anything like the popular mod to hide wires, then I'd suspect you'd always see the electric post wiring between posts.