Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Gronal said:

What is stopping someone from just running through the flame and drinking water immediately? It doesn't seem like much of an obstacle. Will it do damage as well as causing the on fire buff?

From what I see in the video that was posted regarding the fire hazard, there's a locked door on the other side of the fire as well (that unlocks/opens when you turn off the fire), so I'd imagine you'd be taking constant damage over time if you try to break the door down without dealing with the fire first.

EDIT: Do you play with multiplayer/friendly fire settings set to "no kill"? If you do, fire from sources like molotovs don't do damage to you. If you have it set to any other setting like Strangers only, you'll notice the fire debuff does actually do damage over time

It would be interesting to see if the new fire hazard follows the same behavior for molotovs with this setting or not

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

45 minutes ago, Roland said:

It’s definitely not no on bandits for A21. We haven’t reached content lock yet so anything is still possible. Don’t listen to people who want to sensationalize the situation for their own gain.

As to modders helping, it wouldn’t work. The code they are modding for NPCs is old legacy code and old legacy models. Everything being worked on for future bandits is brand new from models, to animations, to AI, to implementation and spawning. There’s nothing that current mods could contribute to speed things up because the “versions” are completely different.

“Bandits” are not just bandits. They also reach into and have connections to 3rd person player animations and clothing and armor sets. There is a lot being worked on and it is impossible to know how much will be ready and whether or not some initial aspects can be parsed to be included in A21.

Right now faatal has wandering bandits enabled while he tests. Will that much remain in A21 when they release it? I don’t know. I hope so. It’s still a maybe.

We are in the final stretch though!

1. Is it possible to get more information about the damage of bandits by blocks (custom buildings)?Will they provide the same threat as ordinary zombies or wandering hordes, or can a raid of bandits on your base be comparable in damage to a horde of zombies?

2. Maybe there will be some perks associated with bandits?

3. Will Navezgane be extensively updated in A21?

4. Will there be any other hand-made maps besides Navezgane?

Thanks

On 10/22/2022 at 11:39 PM, Roland said:

Nice work everyone on the 7 Brutus Denied 5 puzzle. Here is a visual puzzle for another A21 feature that has nothing to do with Hunger Games.

Can you solve my clue and figure out what is coming to the game?

image.png.961d02dc94b5007a3086931d0919c8eb.png

Every 15 Days, Chunk Refresh happens as you Move around, respawning Special zombies

Edited by Broneigh (see edit history)

On 10/23/2022 at 5:39 AM, Roland said:

Nice work everyone on the 7 Brutus Denied 5 puzzle. Here is a visual puzzle for another A21 feature that has nothing to do with Hunger Games.

Can you solve my clue and figure out what is coming to the game?

image.png.961d02dc94b5007a3086931d0919c8eb.png

Ooooh! Puzzle! 

So daily specials. We get a choice of 3. Ehm. Goonies refers to treasure. And the timer runs out after 15 days. 

So I'm guessing every day of the first 2 weeks we get a choice of 3 buried treasure/supply quests? 

3 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

From what I see in the video that was posted regarding the fire hazard, there's a locked door on the other side of the fire as well (that unlocks/opens when you turn off the fire), so I'd imagine you'd be taking constant damage over time if you try to break the door down without dealing with the fire first.

EDIT: Do you play with multiplayer/friendly fire settings set to "no kill"? If you do, fire from sources like molotovs don't do damage to you. If you have it set to any other setting like Strangers only, you'll notice the fire debuff does actually do damage over time

It would be interesting to see if the new fire hazard follows the same behavior for molotovs with this setting or not

I'm pretty sure TFP consider that a bug. They are aware of it at the least. It affects almost any negative debuff, such as starving or drowning.

I'd like to address Saven's World concerns about the forum. 

The forum doesn't need to be sanitized by a professional community who ja whats it. This is where I do battle with the devs slash mods. If they want to respond to me in a goofy dismissive way than fine. I'd feel bad if their hands were tied when people are acting stupid or overly harsh toward their updates. It makes for real transparency. If someone gets their feelings hurt then forum life ain't for them. I think Roland said that if the learn by looting doesn't work out they'd change it.

side note:

I highly suggest just making magazines a rare shinny drop and give the player crafting points when you level up. I have always been a fan of the idea of separating certain skills into respective categories.

8 hours ago, NekoPawtato said:

Then simply break the door whilst not standing in the flames and run through. Unless the flames can't be hit through, but that would feel kinda wrong.

I'm suggesting simply the damage over time fire debuff isn't enough for the fire hazard to act as an actual obstacle, as you can just drink to put out the fire.

3 hours ago, Gronal said:

Then simply break the door whilst not standing in the flames and run through. Unless the flames can't be hit through, but that would feel kinda wrong.

I'm suggesting simply the damage over time fire debuff isn't enough for the fire hazard to act as an actual obstacle, as you can just drink to put out the fire.

I think the best way would be to have any explosives or gunpowder in your pockets to go off if you're on fire. :boom:

20 hours ago, Roland said:

It’s definitely not no on bandits for A21. We haven’t reached content lock yet so anything is still possible. Don’t listen to people who want to sensationalize the situation for their own gain. 

As to modders helping,  it wouldn’t work. The code they are modding for NPCs is old legacy code and old legacy models. Everything being worked on for future bandits is brand new from models, to animations, to AI, to implementation and spawning. There’s nothing that current mods could contribute to speed things up because the “versions” are completely different.

“Bandits” are not just bandits. They also reach into and have connections to 3rd person player animations and clothing and armor sets. There is a lot being worked on and it is impossible to know how much will be ready and whether or not some initial aspects can be parsed to be included in A21. 

Right now faatal has wandering bandits enabled while he tests. Will that much remain in A21 when they release it? I don’t know. I hope so. It’s still a maybe. 

We are in the final stretch though!

Thank you for you answer ! I am just asking if there could be help from modders side somehow able if they want to help. But I hope it will be good to go when it´s gonna be ready. So basically they have similiar AI movement for heads to zombies/traders then ? Or it´s gonna be more dynamic aspect ? 

21 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

You greatly overestimate the capabilities of modders compared to developers.

I am just asking if there could be help from modders side to Alpha 21 or only them. If they could help and want it it could be good but for now we need to wait and see what will happen :D

21 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

1. Is it possible to get more information about the damage of bandits by blocks (custom buildings)?Will they provide the same threat as ordinary zombies or wandering hordes, or can a raid of bandits on your base be comparable in damage to a horde of zombies?

2. Maybe there will be some perks associated with bandits?

3. Will Navezgane be extensively updated in A21?

4. Will there be any other hand-made maps besides Navezgane?

Thanks

1. Still in flux. Damage values vs blocks and vs other entities will probably change several times. They are pretty weak at the moment as that is not the purpose for them being enabled right now.

2. Maybe.

3. I don't think so other than having new POIs placed somewhere within it.

4. Not from the devs before release unless someone does something as a secret side project but nobody has included me in such a secret. The Pregen maps have not been updated to A21 and don't currently work so those will most likely be the priority in regards to map making so that there are four ready to play maps when A21 launches.

16 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

If they want to respond to me in a goofy dismissive way than fine.

Cool story bro...

;)

1 hour ago, blueboyxg said:

Thank you for you answer ! I am just asking if there could be help from modders side somehow able if they want to help.

Sure. They hire people from the community who were modders of one kind or another. @Laz Man is a recent example of someone they hired to help with level design. If they feel that bringing modders on board to help with bandits would be advantageous then they will do it. There are plenty of precedents to show they are willing. If they don't do it then you can be assured that it is because it wouldn't be a help.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Hallowen started on steam. Maybe any news about skeleton prop? Please...☠️

They are completely absent from the game as of October 25, 2022

20 hours ago, Blake_ said:

The kid is from a scene with chickens. Is it chicken coup workstations? (edit: coop, phone, it's chicken coop, lol)

Coup works... The chickens are going to stage a coup against your workstations every 15 days. 😁

17 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Chicken MP/COOP gameplay confirmed for A21! :whoo:

They're quite dumb... but have lightning reflexes!

Ever played Lord of the Rings Online?  You can run around as a chicken trying to avoid being attacked.  So it's a reimagining of that quest for 7D2D. 😀

As for my guess, since that scene is Chunk from The Goonies, every 15 days, you can do a quest to obtain one Baby Ruth bar, which will give a significant buff when you eat it.  The quest is time limited and there are three possible directions you can find it, so you have to be really fast and really  lucky.

On 10/24/2022 at 12:25 PM, POCKET951 said:

so with the water rework for A21 will I be able to make proper decorative wells? 

well7d2d.jpg

This will probably have to be handled by base cases, i believe someone said it will be simulated similar to MC, like the flow etc but i dont think these custom shapes will work at all, maybe only if they allow overlapping for custom shapes like these....

10 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Thanks roland now i feel empty inside like... skeleton💀

What sort of type of a skeleton by the way, you would like to have ingame? 

The ones that were caged in iron thing hanging from a tree branch, which was a thing around 15th century or so, or these from Wallmart, on a sale for like 10 bucks ? :)

Asking for a dev. 

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

What sort of type of a skeleton by the way, you would like to have ingame? 

The ones that were caged in iron thing hanging from a tree branch, which was a thing around 15th century or so, or these from Wallmart, on a sale for like 10 bucks ? :)

Asking for a dev. 

You know - old skeleton lying in room or sitting on chair or in car - i will give example

Human Skeletons and Bones_1

Regarding the Fire Hazards and what happens when you run through them, it was discussed early on and a solution implemented before the assets were even in a build. Once you guys get your hands on them we're always open to constructive feedback, so go hog wild!

On 10/25/2022 at 11:05 AM, Gronal said:

Maybe they could add a 3rd degree burn debuff that lasts for an hour, unless you treat it with aloe or a bandage. It would still be possible to run through it, but at a price.

Good morning everyone, 

I have been enjoying reading about A21 and can't help but play now and think of all the ways it will change my playstyle. I hope in a good way! I have been playing a long time and know that I have settled into some habits. Some good, some bad.

I am very used to getting those initial 4 sill points and putting one in master cook and one in Advanced Engineering. These let me cook all the basic things and make a forge. So, even if I can't find a cooking pot, I can make one fairly easily. 

I also admit that I take full advantage of the fact that when you can craft a quality in one item (a lvl 3 stone shovel) you can craft it in any tier of that item (lvl 3 steel shovel). So, as stated on here, once you have your advanced engineering to 7 and you have a lvl 5 iron pick axe and you finally get the steel tools schematic, you don't have to start over again at lvl 1 steel pickaxe. You go straight to lvl 5. 

I am excited about seeing how the change with the magazines changes this way of playing and the mindset as to when certain things are available to craft. 

I do have some questions/ concerns about A21 that I would like to mention. (these are all just in my opinion, not unyielding truth)

1. I know that bandits are exciting for a lot of people, but I do hope that this does not become a bandit game. It is a zombie game and I hope the focus stays that way. 

2. As far a game balance ( and I know this is being worked on actively). In my current game I am on day 68. Of all the weapons and tools I use I have Tier 3, Grade 6. For the tools and shotguns I was able to craft grade 5 and had made them. I then started getting grade 6 in nearly everything. Auto-Shotgun, all tools, M60, etc. The only 'issue' with this is that I had been planning on climbing the Fortitude Tree and Machine Gun skill to be able to make a grade 5 M60, once I got the schematic. Once I got the M60 Grade 6, there was no point. The same exact thing happened with the Impact Driver. I had a grade 5 socket wrench and got the schematic for the impact driver. I thought I would get enough skill in Salvage Ops to make a decent one, then got a grade 6 impact driver from a quest. 

Maybe the separation of crafting from skills will take care of this problem. As what you craft and the grade that you craft it has nothing to do with your skills anymore. 

3. In regards to the terrain in the wasteland. The burnt forest and wasteland were combined in the recent past. That is cool. The biggest thing is that because of that, even when outside cities, the ground is littered with I-Beams and piles of cinder blocks. This makes driving the 4x4 an arduous task. Is this the intent? To have there be a negative when using the late-mid to late game vehicle when in the late game biome? It has great inventory, great speed, but you can't go anywhere quickly unless you are on a road/ trail? Lastly I know the focus is gameplay of realism and I am totally cool with that, but I have to ask, How did all those cinder blocks and I-Beams get out there in the middle of the woods anyway?

My suggestion would be to make the areas outside of town burnt forest, with burnt forest ground and the settled areas (and a radius outside of them) have the full wasteland terrain. 

I apologize for the novel, but I have been thinking about these things for a while and they all came out at once.

Thank you for your time and all that you guys do!