Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

Lack of modularity in zombies is another problem of this game, they could have easily used the system that is basically already used by player and just hook on HD clothing styles, different apparel boots etc to the entire model. Don't know why they chose what they chose but whatever, diehard fans are gonna hate me for pointing this out either way...

They DID choose a modular system for zombies and had to abandon it due to performance issues. I just have to point out that a lot of their constraints are due to the world being voxel but diehard critics are gonna hate me for pointing that out either way...

1 hour ago, Astronomical said:

Oh no don't bring that up! That's how you get bandits cancelled again! 😃

More like our characters will all look similar, which I do not like however Unity is what it is and if having a set amount of pre gen characters makes it run better or allows more zombie variety I am okay with the change.

17 hours ago, khzmusik said:

@faatal (or anyone else with info): Regarding the bandits. Are there going to be female bandits? If so, are they getting their own vocal sounds, like female equivalents to the "malehate" sounds for the male bandits?

ooh, and since there's a lot of schools they really need to add

Spoiler

thought I was gonna say it didn't you.

2 hours ago, Kalex said:

Because it is a resource and performance pig.

I just literally did say you can use LODs, how do you think GTA IV handles most of its characters? 🤦‍♂️ Even game from 2008 has this as a feature, so why not here?

Just now, Cr0wst0rm said:

I just literally did say you can use LODs, how do you think GTA IV handles most of its characters? 🤦‍♂️ Even game from 2008 has this as a feature, so why not here?

And same goes for textures, you can game on 50 different textures with over 2k res with good mipmap streaming bias settings with reasonable memory usage (like ~1 gig ram usage)

29 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

I just literally did say you can use LODs, how do you think GTA IV handles most of its characters? 🤦‍♂️ 

Doesn't GTA also have a static world that you can't build on or blow up? -- Oh wait, maybe you're comparing apples to oranges.🙄

Edit:
Don't get me wrong, I would love, love, Loooove more zombie variety, even if it was just 2 or 3 of different colors of outfits [Though more would sure be appreciated], or even just some 'stickers' they could slap on there -But there's only so much CPU budget they can allot to zombies appearance.. I hope they can strike a {somewhat?)satisfying compromise before gold.

Edited by Mister Forgash
Clarification (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, Mister Forgash said:

Doesn't GTA also have a static world that you can't build on or blow up? -- Oh wait, maybe you're comparing apples to oranges.🙄

Edit:
Don't get me wrong, I would love, love, Loooove more zombie variety, even if it was just 2 or 3 of different colors of outfits [Though more would sure be appreciated], or even just some 'stickers' they could slap on there -But there's only so much CPU budget they can allot to zombies appearance.. I hope they can strike a {somewhat?)satisfying compromise before gold.

With the current benchmarks on my 980 4GB graphics card, i can truly say this is a very open possibility for them. I myself am working on contract with Unreal 5 working on internal data structures (C++, unlike Unity) and i very well know what HW is capable of doing these days. The game has afaik runtime culling implemented, which saves the performance by a lot too. By adding culling they opened enough free space for these kinds of things.

1 hour ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

And same goes for textures, you can game on 50 different textures with over 2k res with good mipmap streaming bias settings with reasonable memory usage (like ~1 gig ram usage)

56 minutes ago, Cr0wst0rm said:

With the current benchmarks on my 980 4GB graphics card, i can truly say this is a very open possibility for them. I myself am working on contract with Unreal 5 working on internal data structures (C++, unlike Unity) and i very well know what HW is capable of doing these days. The game has afaik runtime culling implemented, which saves the performance by a lot too. By adding culling they opened enough free space for these kinds of things.

These are not Unity

Unity is the game engine for 7D2D and it will stay that game engine.

Maybe a sequel will use something different, maybe it won’t feature a fully destructible world and have more zombies

On 7/25/2022 at 9:43 AM, schwanz9000 said:

The dew collector is not the only way to get jars of water. Do you guys not quest or loot POI's? There is plenty of murky water out there to be found.

Define "plenty." It often sounds like you guys don't actually play your own game.

Just a question regarding balance.

With murky water being much harder to obtain (i.e. only via looting) it means glue and therefore duct tape will be harder to obtain (especially for recipes which require a lot). For example, a box of exploding arrows would be an approx 60 toilets looted.

Just wondering whether this change accompanies balance changes to impacted recipes?

Edited by Pyrrhrick (see edit history)

On 9/19/2022 at 9:30 AM, Roland said:

7 Brutus Denied 5

Not specifically to Roland, just found the first moderator and quoted the last thing they said. 

I don't want to start anything but Git is changing its stuff from Master to Main. Wondering if you guys could make an update that changes all of your base xml definitions to something neutral. not saying anything wrong with Master, just saying there are other words that imply inheritance 

On 9/27/2022 at 7:04 AM, schwanz9000 said:

Nope. Never play....

image.png.e320e471a949bffb7fdfce2ce775a480.png

On 9/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, Guppycur said:

I know for a fact that you've played the game, but posting that pic is a bit disingenuous as it includes other activities. 😃

Guys i think everyone left game opened before go to sleep or go shop 😜

On 9/26/2022 at 7:42 PM, Roland said:

They DID choose a modular system for zombies and had to abandon it due to performance issues. I just have to point out that a lot of their constraints are due to the world being voxel but diehard critics are gonna hate me for pointing that out either way...

They chose an easy path sometime ago (U M A) ... and then decided to do it the easy way (individual models) but repeated the process several times until it became waaaaAaay more time consuming, when a character creator with Zd stuff could've been made from scratch with lesser fuss in about the same time as those 3 tryouts.

That was a mistake and resulted in huge costs, mainly in gameplay for us. An in-house modular character creator system would've consumed a lot less texture space with more variety as a result and way less repetition. 

Plz fix thiz or I quit breezin'

I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I have wondered since I played this game on my Xbox YEARS ago; is animal husbandry and taming animals (wolves, chickens, boars, (bears :0)) ever gonna be a feature discussed in this game? The drones are a new addition to the game that give me the vibe of a "companion" system and it almost seems to me like it's yall dipping your toes into the idea of having tamable dogs that can fight for you. I think the idea of a vulture you can tame and give a backpack for extra storage or something is super cool.

Also will there ever be an option to switch the military time to am/pm?

Edited by night.owl (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, night.owl said:

I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times, but I have wondered since I played this game on my Xbox YEARS ago; is animal husbandry and taming animals (wolves, chickens, boars, (bears :0)) ever gonna be a feature discussed in this game?

I doubt it. The drone was chosen as a companion so that many problems with pathing could be avoided. An animal walking on the ground would cause a lot more problems.

There are some mods that integrate taming in some form but don't make it too complicated. In the experimental version of the Undead Legacy mod you can pick up chickens and craft a chicken coop. This then provides you with a constant supply of eggs.

1 hour ago, POCKET951 said:

how far away are we from dev streams showing stuff off?? will they be in 2022?  Is A21 far enough along that we can start hyping it up soon?

I think someone suggested we might start to see some movement after TwitchCon but that post has since disappeared

2 hours ago, night.owl said:

yall dipping your toes into the idea of having tamable dogs

We have chili dogs, no tamale dogs yet. Oh, you said tameable? My bad. No tamale dogs for you, their pathing doesn't let them fly...at least before you eat them. It's been mentioned recently. Woud be nice to have a Rin Tin Tin, but I wouldn't want to be tripping over the mutt all of the time...🐕‍🦺