Oof! What a kick in the #$$ for multiplayer fans...

RyanX

I know that they don't care about multiplayer (even though they have resources in game specifically for it) but it was generally serviceable with mods and such.  I, along with many others, will only play on multiplayer servers.  And the old "there aren't enough people who want to play multiplayer" argument needs to go away.  The only reason there aren't more people playing it is because the performance is bad.  I guarantee this game would take leaps and bounds if TFP would support it.  A20 has to be the most unstable release for multiplayer that I've been a part of.  The performance is absolutely terrible and unplayable with any kind of population on the server.

TFP ofc can do what they want and I don't fault them for not supporting it because they can do whatever the hell they want.  Missed opportunity.

It would be amazing with just a little attention to making the servers able to handle the population, let modders do the rest.

Edited by RyanX (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Maharin said:

1.  Early Access Game

2.  Still in Alpha

3.  First release of A20

4. TFP does care about multiplayer, but it is not a top priority right now.  There is a difference.

5. ...

6. Profit

Yeah, but....it just keeps getting bleaker for MP every Alpha...

All content, no optimization.

There is tons of optimization going on. In A20, dynamic mesh streaming and rwg generation are just 2 examples. In A19, it took 45 minutes to generate an 8K map, now it takes 8 minutes....that is a huge optimization. Dynamic mesh streaming takes a major load of players systems allowing for better fps. I rent a dedicated server myself and the other day had 7 players for horde night and no one had any issues. So I'm not sure why you say there is no support for multiplayer. TFP has stated that 8 players is the max for a server so if you want a server with 30 players, it's going to play like crap because the game isn't designed for that many players and never will be.

11 minutes ago, Gazz said:

And what is "any kind of population on the server"?

8 players, I assume, because that's the supported number?

yeah if your going over the supported number your doing so at your own risk of it being bad in various ways. the game is designed for 1-8 players, no more. If your going over 8, thats on you when the game is not setup for it. I mean you can, but if your going above the reccomended max of 8, thats kinda on you and you can't really complain about issues when your not staying in reccomended limits.

I agree multiplayer needs work, it's been 8 player support forever and in this day and age multiplayer is a big part in a lot of games. I do think more people would come to the game with higher player support given the size of the maps. I've played this since Alpha 7 and yes there's been a lot of great content although it seems to be too easy in the last couple of alphas, It still needs more multiplayer support and optimization.

Edited by Snoops (see edit history)

I can confirm that the A20 lags.

We played with 3 players on the same dedicated server (no VM) which we used already for A19 (for hundreds of hours real play time) and in A19 we never had such a huge number of lags.

Mainly when we run but sometimes even when we just walk. I seems to happen when we move in a direction where at a lot of buildings can be seen.

Maybe it's because of that optimized "rendering" of buildings far away...

I play 7dtd since A10 (in steam i have a record of 422 hours) and it is one of my favorite PC games. Please optimize A20 because this lagging is terrible (and we didn't had a blood moon with lots of Zs...)

23 hours ago, AtranBeluc said:

We played with 3 players on the same dedicated server (no VM) which we used already for A19 (for hundreds of hours real play time) and in A19 we never had such a huge number of lags.

Mainly when we run but sometimes even when we just walk. I seems to happen when we move in a direction where at a lot of buildings can be seen.

You can easily find out by turning off that option for a play session. The feature is called dynamic mesh or similar and should be in the graphics options. New feature, likely still buggy and unoptimized.

23 hours ago, AtranBeluc said:

I play 7dtd since A10 (in steam i have a record of 422 hours) and it is one of my favorite PC games. Please optimize A20 because this lagging is terrible (and we didn't had a blood moon with lots of Zs...)

I would love this to happen as well lol. BUT it not gonna happen.

we get 8 players and anything above that you need to start spending money.

right now 20 players is about the best i can get.

25 - 30 is folly lol.

I have over 4000 hours and i feel we need more Pretzels.

That's My Nickle.

I expect some thumbs down Or Else.

On 12/13/2021 at 1:43 PM, AtranBeluc said:

You need to adjust your server setting, by default, lots of dedicated servers reset to the MAX cap for loading buildings, you really want it set to only 4 chunks.

The difference between them is almost 40fps if you are playing on a decent computer.

Right now, my dedicated server has 12 people playing with 600 max active zombies and I get a solid 60FPS on my rig, and our potato-computer players get around 20 to 25.

5 minutes ago, PotatoeTater said:

You need to adjust your server setting, by default, lots of dedicated servers reset to the MAX cap for loading buildings, you really want it set to only 4 chunks.

The difference between them is almost 40fps if you are playing on a decent computer.

Right now, my dedicated server has 12 people playing with 600 max active zombies and I get a solid 60FPS on my rig, and our potato-computer players get around 20 to 25.

Where do I find this option in the configs? I'm running a Xeon 2286G with SSD and 64GB of RAM and the dedicated server goes nuts, when three or more people are online.

56 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

That's a problem on your end then. not the game end.

On our end? All my friends experience the same problems even with top notch hardware. When I'm hosting locally on my computer, all six folks can play smoothley. How is it possible, that a dedicated server can't handle even three? How's that supposed to be on our end then?

Edited by Kr4wn (see edit history)

22 hours ago, Kr4wn said:

Where do I find this option in the configs? I'm running a Xeon 2286G with SSD and 64GB of RAM and the dedicated server goes nuts, when three or more people are online.

It's under serverconfig.xml.

It's location will vary depending on service provider.

With 64GB of ram, you should be doing fine with multiple people, we have 8-12 of us playing with 600 alive zombies at once on hoard night and it only uses about 10-11GB of memory for us on a 10K map.

If you are having problems with connecting to a dedicated one, you might be doing something wrong with your connection to the server.

1 hour ago, Kr4wn said:

On our end? All my friends experience the same problems even with top notch hardware. When I'm hosting locally on my computer, all six folks can play smoothley. How is it possible, that a dedicated server can't handle even three? How's that supposed to be on our end then?

Because there are 100s of dedicated servers using the same exact game and not having your problem. You even admit that your friends can connect to your local server on your machine while you host and you and they get better performance. So the game is working with other servers and even peer to peer. But it isn't working with your dedicated server for some reason.

Maybe visit the support forum and post up the specs of the machine running your dedi and your settings and see if someone can help you troubleshoot.

On 12/12/2021 at 7:56 PM, RyanX said:

I know that they don't care about multiplayer (even though they have resources in game specifically for it) but it was generally serviceable with mods and such.  I, along with many others, will only play on multiplayer servers.  And the old "there aren't enough people who want to play multiplayer" argument needs to go away.  The only reason there aren't more people playing it is because the performance is bad.  I guarantee this game would take leaps and bounds if TFP would support it.  A20 has to be the most unstable release for multiplayer that I've been a part of.  The performance is absolutely terrible and unplayable with any kind of population on the server.

TFP ofc can do what they want and I don't fault them for not supporting it because they can do whatever the hell they want.  Missed opportunity.

It would be amazing with just a little attention to making the servers able to handle the population, let modders do the rest.

I don't play multiplayer because my 3 friends that did play all got boring jobs at places that don't offer remote work, and the bills don't pay themselves.

I've had no issues ever running multiplayer, aside from the blades trap health not updating properly and rendering them unusable. I haven't done any testing with it in A20 yet as.. my friends aren't available.

As for the performance being bad, have you checked any of the changes made in A20 compared to 19.6? There have been massive overhauls to zombies and random gen. I'm noticing more graphical glitches in A20 than 19.6, you know why? Early access game with an unstable version.

Which will get optimized as we report issues to them, and they take the time to make it work properly. Patience is a virtue, so is expressing the problems your having to them instead of coming up with absurd assumptions about everyone.

1 hour ago, Ianua said:

Confused by the OP post. If TFP didn't intend MP why in the frack do I have to disable the anticheat software? I mean having and anticheat software is specifically for multiplayer, not much point in having it otherwise.

OP uses the general abbreviation for multiplayer but what they really are talking about is Battle Royale.

Our game definitely has a focus on multiplayer and so we do use EAC but the multiplayer we are mainly interested in for this game is cooperative PVE. The good news is that there are many options out there for Battle Royale gameplay and this game fills its own multiplayer niche extremely well.