Oof! What a kick in the #$$ for multiplayer fans...

RyanX

22 hours ago, Kr4wn said:

When I'm hosting locally on my computer, all six folks can play smoothley. How is it possible, that a dedicated server can't handle even three? How's that supposed to be on our end then?

Did you even read what you just wrote> You just said in a different way exactly what I said. It is NOT a game issue or MP wouldn't run well with others joining your home run server. smh

On 12/15/2021 at 3:57 PM, Roland said:

OP uses the general abbreviation for multiplayer but what they really are talking about is Battle Royale.

Our game definitely has a focus on multiplayer and so we do use EAC but the multiplayer we are mainly interested in for this game is cooperative PVE. The good news is that there are many options out there for Battle Royale gameplay and this game fills its own multiplayer niche extremely well. 

Umm...no.

I'm talking about cooperative PvE actually.  My wife and I play these almost exclusively.  I stopped going to the PvP servers long ago because the performance is bad and there are too many glitches and dupes to make it fair.

On 12/12/2021 at 4:56 PM, RyanX said:

I know that they don't care about multiplayer (even though they have resources in game specifically for it) but it was generally serviceable with mods and such.  I, along with many others, will only play on multiplayer servers.  And the old "there aren't enough people who want to play multiplayer" argument needs to go away.  The only reason there aren't more people playing it is because the performance is bad.  I guarantee this game would take leaps and bounds if TFP would support it.  A20 has to be the most unstable release for multiplayer that I've been a part of.  The performance is absolutely terrible and unplayable with any kind of population on the server.

TFP ofc can do what they want and I don't fault them for not supporting it because they can do whatever the hell they want.  Missed opportunity.

It would be amazing with just a little attention to making the servers able to handle the population, let modders do the rest.

28 minutes ago, RyanX said:

Umm...no.

I'm talking about cooperative PvE actually.  My wife and I play these almost exclusively.  I stopped going to the PvP servers long ago because the performance is bad and there are too many glitches and dupes to make it fair.

Well you got me then with your original post because it did not seem like you were talking about PVE with you and your wife at all. Sorry. I don't think I was the only one though and looking at your OP here it seems weird that if it is you and your wife surviving together in PVE then why say that "there aren't enough people who want to play multiplayer" is some kind of old argument around here against PVE play? I've never once heard anyone speak out against TFP spending time on PVE due to there not being enough people who want to play it. Historically people argued against TFP spending time on PvP at the expense of the PVE and solo games quite a bit until it seemed that all the PVP gamers gave up-- which is why I thought you were arguing for PvP since there are fewer PvPers that frequent the forums these days making their demands to have 7 Days be more Rust-like.

Also your line about performance being bad is weird since for PVE play the 8 max supported player count is perfect for a team of friends who want to survive together. You and your wife are just two. Myself, my mom, and my brother play together and performance is pretty great for us. I can't imagine it being worse for the two of you. Maybe you are playing with the max 8 players with some friends and at that max number it gets pretty bad? Honestly, though the way you worded things totally sounded like you were wanting 50 players supported on a server-- which would be utterly ridiculous for PVE play. 

See you say "population" and that makes me think you're talking about more than 8 players and certainly more than you and your wife. I mean this is experimental and not stable yet so even the idea that this build represents TFP's commitment to multiplayer because you're having bad performance like what we have now was supposed to be the final offering is a little off.

At any rate, sorry for assuming you meant large servers of 30 players going at it like Fortnight. The devs aren't going to support that but hopefully over the next few updates the game will stabilize for 8 players and less for PVE multiplayer. But I do have to say that the three of us playing PvE are having a pretty stable experience for the most part.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:57 PM, Roland said:

At any rate, sorry for assuming you meant large servers of 30 players going at it like Fortnight. The devs aren't going to support that but hopefully over the next few updates the game will stabilize for 8 players and less for PVE multiplayer. But I do have to say that the three of us playing PvE are having a pretty stable experience for the most part.

I actually do mean 30 players going at it....but not like Fortnite.  I don't know where you get this characterization, like PvP didn't exist before Fortnite or something. This used to be a thing, and it actually worked.

I don't know why you seem to think PvP is a "Battle Royale".  The only difference between PvP and PvE is that there are other players around in addition to the zombies.  We still do quests, build bases, loot POI's but there are actually enemies around that pose a threat.  You see, the zombies are not really much of a threat and their AI is kind of stupid.  They don't spawn correctly, they are glitchy, and their hit boxes are bad.  Sure, turn up their speed and make them do more damage, blah blah blah.

PvP is EXACTLY like the PvE game you play, but you might see someone else.  And they might kill you. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, RyanX said:

I actually do mean 30 players going at it....but not like Fortnite.  I don't know where you get this characterization, like PvP didn't exist before Fortnite or something. This used to be a thing, and it actually worked.

I don't know why you seem to think PvP is a "Battle Royale".  The only difference between PvP and PvE is that there are other players around in addition to the zombies.  We still do quests, build bases, loot POI's but there are actually enemies around that pose a threat.  You see, the zombies are not really much of a threat and their AI is kind of stupid.  They don't spawn correctly, they are glitchy, and their hit boxes are bad.  Sure, turn up their speed and make them do more damage, blah blah blah.

PvP is EXACTLY like the PvE game you play, but you might see someone else.  And they might kill you. 

And you still keep on insisting this game needs to be playable on 30 person servers right now.

Maybe it will nvr be.  But TFP will probably make it better.  They are still adding bandits to the game. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:38 AM, RyanX said:

I actually do mean 30 players going at it....but not like Fortnite.  I don't know where you get this characterization, like PvP didn't exist before Fortnite or something.

I’m talking about numbers more than I am gameplay style. As you have said, it isn’t even really about PVP or PVE. It is about the stability of servers for 30+ concurrent players however they might be interacting. 

Without regard to any particular multiplayer style of gameplay, TFP is not actively working on supporting populations of more than 8 players. 30+ player servers is not a priority. 

Sounds like they are going to look into the net code more in January but I wouldn’t get your hopes up that it will be to start supporting large populations. It will be to stabilize things better for 8 or less. But hopefully that will also help the larger unsupported servers be able to work better. 

9 hours ago, Roland said:

Sounds like they are going to look into the net code more in January but I wouldn’t get your hopes up that it will be to start supporting large populations. It will be to stabilize things better for 8 or less. But hopefully that will also help the larger unsupported servers be able to work better. 

I just hope they can maybe reel in the go-go-gadget extendo arms zombies get on servers. Me and a buddy are the only ones on, <20 ping the whole time and we keep getting hit from stupid distances, even when moving around pillars and stuff. I'm kind of used to it, but playing on a dedi is something I haven't done that much of as most of my time has always been SP. He just bought the game after a20 came out, and it's certainly hurting his enjoyment of the game as he keeps dying to these types of things.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, Roland said:

Good old Roland...always there for us, making sure we don't get our hopes up.