This game BADLY needs Steam Workshop integration

geengaween

Games that are heavily and easily moddable basically live forever. But actually having to learn how to install mods is a big roadblock that prevents the majority of players from seeing what's out there. Steam workshop allows a quick and easy way of seeing the best mods and installing them at the click of a button.

Making every aspect of the game moddable in Steam Workshop is the best thing for 7DTD in my opinion, especially for repeatable stuff like quest content and prefabs. The replayability of this game would be huge with player created questlines.

Steam Workshop is a planned feature once the game is done. Mods break every single alpha update while the game is in development and having those mods on the Steam Workshop where customers expect easy one click integration of mods they want to play only to have every mod broken until the authors of those mods see fit to update them again would not go over well.

You’re preaching to the choir but Sunday hasn’t yet arrived. 

Yeah it does however as above game needs to be done or at least at a point where an update doesn’t break the existing mods.

Great example is Emperion. Fun little space survival game, added steam workshop early and it was great. Click a button and that adds the mod or space ship design so you can craft it.

The massive bummer was as the game developed a bunch of ship designs no longer worked and you had no idea before crafting them. Pretty frustrating.

Much better to have all mods work and not worry about which version they work for plus hope the modder noted what version it is good for.

2 hours ago, geengaween said:

Games that are heavily and easily moddable basically live forever. But actually having to learn how to install mods is a big roadblock that prevents the majority of players from seeing what's out there. Steam workshop allows a quick and easy way of seeing the best mods and installing them at the click of a button.

Making every aspect of the game moddable in Steam Workshop is the best thing for 7DTD in my opinion, especially for repeatable stuff like quest content and prefabs. The replayability of this game would be huge with player created questlines.

It really doesn't.

And if people can't learn how to make a folder, open a zip file and put the contents in the created folder, there's bigger problems that require some courses in basic computer usage.

I'm not saying it doesn't need it at all, but "badly"? No... not at all.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Steam Workshop is a planned feature once the game is done. Mods break every single alpha update [...]

Honestly. That is such bs.
Like... I believe you and I believe that this is their view and maybe their idea of quality control.

But I have seen mods that update biweekly have a steamworkshop and more.
That is why versioncheckers are in place.

Honestly. Releasing one Alpha every 8-15 Months is PLENTY of time for devs of mods to work it out.
And people that want to mod will mod anyways. If you mod a game with no idea what it does, that is not on the devs.

honestly! If you install more than one mod, it can break the game. So this is nothing more than an excuse.
Workshop wont ever be "safe" or "easy to use", but it would make modding more accessible, without needing 4 different tools.

So yea... if they just say "sorry other priorities right now! Want to finish the game ASAP" fine by me.
But don't put it on quality control.

Maybe I am just an a*shat as usual. But this makes ZERO sense to me.

1 hour ago, KhaineGB said:

And if people can't learn how to make a folder, open a zip file and put the contents in the created folder, there's bigger problems that require some courses in basic computer usage.

I think there's more to the Steam Workshop than just an easier installation.

It's also a place where you can easily search and find ALL supported mods, divided by type/category and such.

It is well integrated with the main platform the game is sold on AND can help even smaller mods to be showcased easily.

But I agree with someone who said that Mod version checking NEEDS to be implemented BEFORE they go live with Steam Workshop support.

4 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I think there's more to the Steam Workshop than just an easier installation.

It's also a place where you can easily search and find ALL supported mods, divided by type/category and such.

It is well integrated with the main platform the game is sold on AND can help even smaller mods to be showcased easily.

But I agree with someone who said that Mod version checking NEEDS to be implemented BEFORE they go live with Steam Workshop support.

Not true.

It depends on the mod creator uploading their mod to the workshop in the first place. Example, I have a ton of modlets on here that aren't on nexus, therefore people who only use nexus don't know they exist.

Rimworld has mods that aren't on the workshop, so if you only use that, you won't know they exist, etc.

I doubt that steam workshop would be a set it and then forget type of feature.  It would probably require someone from the team to manage it properly from Alpha to Alpha.  Yes, the functionality would be nice to have sooner then later.  However, at this point of development I would rather they put all of their resources in finishing all of the core features before opening that rabbit hole.

I think one of the bigger benefits would be the ease of using workshop collections. Especially for servers running several mods. I do this for my group when we play ARK where I set up the server and get the mod list together in a collection so they can just click the link I give, go to the collection, and hit Subscribe to All and they are done. Everything downloads and they can join the server no problem. And that's talking about a game that can send all mod info from the server, unlike 7 Days. It's still just easier to grab it beforehand so you don't deal with timeouts and stuff.

11 hours ago, geengaween said:

Games that are heavily and easily moddable basically live forever. But actually having to learn how to install mods is a big roadblock that prevents the majority of players from seeing what's out there. Steam workshop allows a quick and easy way of seeing the best mods and installing them.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I have been making custom heightmaps in gimp with world gen tools, editing xml files to suit spawn and loot to my tastes, and yet I can't figure out how to repeatably and reliably install a mod without needing to create an entire new install.

I seriously love the community of modders and all the talents there in, but for someone who just finished updating his bios, I still can't figure out how to install mods without a tons of errors...

It shouldn't be so hard!? lol

Edited by warmer (see edit history)

4 hours ago, geengaween said:

Agreed. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Steam Workshop is a planned feature once the game is done. Mods break every single alpha update while the game is in development and having those mods on the Steam Workshop where customers expect easy one click integration of mods they want to play only to have every mod broken until the authors of those mods see fit to update them again would not go over well.

You’re preaching to the choir but Sunday hasn’t yet arrived. 

also agreed. 

We should wait until the game is finished before steam integration. One of the things that really @%$#ed me off about minecraft, was how those bull@%$# updates that did not add much, would break all my mods. I am still salty about that, and now i must go shout obscenities in a corner because of all the angry broken mod memories.

2 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

So yea... if they just say "sorry other priorities right now! Want to finish the game ASAP" fine by me.

Okay...they have other priorities right now because the time isn't right for workshop support for the reasons I mentioned. The game can still be modded and those who truly want the mods can figure out how to get the mods they want and so the devs won't spend time on workshop support until after the game is done because they believe that it is good enough the way it is now. With almost eight years of people successfully creating mods and playing with mods, I'd say they are correct and that the game is doing just fine and having a good life with the current placeholder modding system until the developers are ready to do official workshop integration.

2 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

<shrug> I said "up" so you felt obligated to forcefully say "down!"

I have mixed feelings on easy to use mods. On one hand it's great, no headaches, jump right in and away you go. But on the other hand mod troubleshooting develops marketable skills. Being able to figure out which mod i screwed up based off of when the errors are showing up on game load has been useful in my work. Understanding how xml works becoming more important now. It's getting complicated out there, and muddling through unity issues has taught me quite a bit. 

3 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

It really doesn't.

I'm not saying it doesn't need it at all, but "badly"? No... not at all.

3 hours ago, Roland said:

It’s more like some USERS badly need Steam workshop in order to be able to enjoy mods. ;)

honestly this  will be very subjective but: he is right guys. before L4D2 99% of mods were... rly big crap except maps- tanks shreks , nude witch, minecraft zombies etc. after l4d2 integration with workshop we get rly good HD mods , good and "lore friendly"zombie variants mods, guns with good animations and 7dtd need this too

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

honestly this  will be very subjective but: he is right guys. before L4D2 99% of mods were... rly big crap except maps- tanks shreks , nude witch, minecraft zombies etc. after l4d2 integration with workshop we get rly good HD mods , good and "lore friendly"zombie variants mods, guns with good animations and 7dtd need this too

Steam workshop has nothing to do with quality mods.  Nexus has quality mods that you can't get through Steam Workshop.  it is the creators that determine if a mod is good or crappy, not how it is integrated into the game.

Steam Workshop, Vortex, ModLauncher, and manual installs are just different ways to integrate a mod into a game.

4 hours ago, Viktoriusiii said:

Honestly. That is such bs.
Like... I believe you and I believe that this is their view and maybe their idea of quality control.

But I have seen mods that update biweekly have a steamworkshop and more.
That is why versioncheckers are in place.

Honestly. Releasing one Alpha every 8-15 Months is PLENTY of time for devs of mods to work it out.
And people that want to mod will mod anyways. If you mod a game with no idea what it does, that is not on the devs.

honestly! If you install more than one mod, it can break the game. So this is nothing more than an excuse.
Workshop wont ever be "safe" or "easy to use", but it would make modding more accessible, without needing 4 different tools.

See here is the thing though. Version checking is only for updates to the mods. Steam has no built-in method to check that the mods are compatible with the current version of the client. Primarily because the Workshop is not designed to support EA.

Again I will throw Eleon under the bus here. They introduced Workshop support early on. As a result of this there are a large number of mods out there for Empyrion that are absolutely not compatible with the current version of the game. They make a good example for how not to do EA in a lot of ways.

10 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

See here is the thing though. Version checking is only for updates to the mods. Steam has no built-in method to check that the mods are compatible with the current version of the client. Primarily because the Workshop is not designed to support EA.

Again I will throw Eleon under the bus here. They introduced Workshop support early on. As a result of this there are a large number of mods out there for Empyrion that are absolutely not compatible with the current version of the game. They make a good example for how not to do EA in a lot of ways.

The workshop does have versioning support though. Rimworld uses it.

BUT... that would require TFP to have an XML flag in the modinfo.xml and then the modder would have to manually fill it in.

2 hours ago, Matt115 said:

*ahem*

Skryim.

Tons of high quality mods. Not sure if they have steam workshop now, but they didn't. It was all done on nexus. Same for Oblivion, morrowind, etc.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Not many mods for that because the game is just not very moddable, but still some very good quality mods. No steam workshop support.

Minecraft. Just... minecraft.

So no. 7DTD does NOT need it. It's a "nice to have." Not a "need".

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

30 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Tell me more.

Good. no but you can find this on workshops. btw is very popular mod which add a witch hm.... "tool"

19 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

The workshop does have versioning support though. Rimworld uses it.

BUT... that would require TFP to have an XML flag in the modinfo.xml and then the modder would have to manually fill it in.

*ahem*

Skryim.

Tons of high quality mods. Not sure if they have steam workshop now, but they didn't. It was all done on nexus. Same for Oblivion, morrowind, etc.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Not many mods for that because the game is just not very moddable, but still some very good quality mods. No steam workshop support.

Minecraft. Just... minecraft.

So no. 7DTD does NOT need it. It's a "nice to have." Not a "need".

Skyrim is worst example ever. yeah there is few good mods like "immersive weapons/monsters/npc etc" but most of them : funny meme haha XD LOL WTF  or @SnowDog1942 every sex stuff he want srly btw skyrim have workshop. Gmod gets a lot of mods after integration this same l4d2. COH2 have  a rly good quality mods like all units 143. This same sitation with cod bo3 (nightmare mod, leviathan mod , wanted etc).  

Vampire honestly it was first non-steam game  - this same sitation as stalker , sw battlefront 2 ( classic), total war rome , resident evil  4 etc so this is quiet logical most mods was created before they were added on steam.

"Realistic" (by this i mean - mods like skyrim immersive creatures - argonian or kid skeleton suits good , this same zombies , goblins (goblins are in oblivion). stalker have for example lost alpha , battle of middlearth have age of the ring , hd mods) are quiet rare to 7dtd -   Vehicle Madness (is good by few cars look like something from cartoon) , modled created by @khzmusik   which change  creature zombie pack by @xyth    ( still PEST zombies not suit but rest is good). So maybe this could "improve"  variants of mods because most of them to 7dtd change gameplay or are "idiotic" like  Snufkin's Custom Server Side Zombies - PLUS  which give me cs zombie nexus feeling (cheap asian bootleg)                                                                   

2 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

You just lost all credability in your argument by craping on someones work.

i don't think so. For cs there were a lot of random mods that add combine, naruto,loli as characters - stupid as hell by popular, this same sitation with enemy territory - people like "idiotic" mods ( idiotic for me mean - something that could be in "The hungover games") , for me there 3 types of mod : realistic, sex mods and idiotic mods ( shrek tank, CJ as leon in resident evil , tom the train as dragon in skyrim)

Yes, you did. It's that simple.

And you still haven't proven your point. There's tons of "idiot" mods on the workshop too. Just like there's tons of "Pro" mods outside of the workshop. The workshop would do NOTHING to curate mods for 7DTD. All it would do is allow one-click installing, which is not necessarily a good thing.

24 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Yes, you did. It's that simple.

And you still haven't proven your point. There's tons of "idiot" mods on the workshop too. Just like there's tons of "Pro" mods outside of the workshop. The workshop would do NOTHING to curate mods for 7DTD. All it would do is allow one-click installing, which is not necessarily a good thing.

i doesn't mean  quality but category . Okay when you would "put'  "shrek tank "in l4d2 or "thomas the train" as dragon in skyrim to which category?

Ofc Vehicle madness easy -  realistic or lore friendly category.  stalker lost alpha? this same. Nude Lara Croft - sex category. " sims can kill themself" SiMS mod- idiotic category. canibalistic sims? this same. Dirt on feet in skyrim- realistic or sex category. 

Do you know better "name" for this category? 

i coudn't find for long time mod adding more lore friendly zombie variants  before  l4d2 get workshop                                               

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)