A20 Developer Diary Discussions

Roland

50 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

Hell, you're catering to casuals, children, and beer drinkers

Good start! We don't need customers after all... Do you work in the sales department by any chance? 

51 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

But the opinions that truly matter, like mine

Everyone was waiting to hear your opinion, you know it.

That's why 2020 was so bad... but now 2021 is here finally! ... and your opinion of course! :hail:

52 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

I was never wrong about all this. I was simply your last island

Don't worry, we all know you can't be wrong... :nod:

52 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

I'm the reasoning, I'm the truth here. I'm the good sense, the thought, and the contemplation.

Why does this remind of a passage from the Holy Bible? :suspicious:

53 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

Are you, the devs, all old or something? Are you all elders? Are you all no longer youthful enough to actually absorb contemplations from another person without your fragile egos and brittle prides taking a hit?

Yeah, you can judge how fragile they are just by looking at... ehm... Madmole. :madgrin:

54 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

I'm trying to talk sense into you guys but like I said, you're all old, and old people are close-minded.

True, when I was a kid I've tried many times to teach life to my grandfather... but for some reason he wouldn't listen. :pout:

54 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

You seem old and irrelevant

They are. Don't mind all the fuss about selling millions of copies of a successful game, it's all propaganda, we know it.

55 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

It's troglodyte level. You dumbed down a work of art to satisfy the masses and sell more copies

Weird, it's almost like they were running some kind of business, right?

55 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

It conveys this horrible notion that the game's potential (vast potential) was wasted on you guys.

I wonder where that potential came from in the first place... they probably stole it from you.

56 minutes ago, Promethean Winchester said:

Go ahead and ban me again, it's your success on the line.

You're damn right m8! How dare they! :mad2:

They don't know what's coming for them! :banplease:

1 hour ago, Promethean Winchester said:

The Whale -- Chapter 1

The worst part about what you've written here is that some of the points you make about gameplay are valid, and could be discussed further, but yet, it all goes to waste because of the stupid personal attacks and overall absurd way you've phrased them. Shame.

Edited by Xtrakicking (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Promethean Winchester said:

the opinions that truly matter, like mine

I don't agree with your a lot of your rant, but I'm surprised people didn't know you were joking with this line. I say stuff like this all the time as a tongue in cheek joke . . . . uh oh, do people actually think I'm being serious when I walk into a room of friends and announce that the main character has arrived? Lol

I'm happy I created that lol, good balance of cringy ego and decent points I think. Just arrogant enough to not be taken seriously, but just meaningful enough to have a hint of a valid point. I was planning it all along... But of course! ... Yeah

5 hours ago, Jost Amman said:
 6 hours ago, Promethean Winchester said:

Hell, you're catering to casuals, children, and beer drinkers

Good start! We don't need customers after all... Do you work in the sales department by any chance? 

But the opinions that truly matter, like mine

Everyone was waiting to hear your opinion, you know it.

That's why 2020 was so bad... but now 2021 is here finally! ... and your opinion of course! :hail:

I was never wrong about all this. I was simply your last island

Don't worry, we all know you can't be wrong... :nod:

I'm the reasoning, I'm the truth here. I'm the good sense, the thought, and the contemplation.

Why does this remind of a passage from the Holy Bible? :suspicious:

Are you, the devs, all old or something? Are you all elders? Are you all no longer youthful enough to actually absorb contemplations from another person without your fragile egos and brittle prides taking a hit?

Yeah, you can judge how fragile they are just by looking at... ehm... Madmole. :madgrin:

I'm trying to talk sense into you guys but like I said, you're all old, and old people are close-minded.

True, when I was a kid I've tried many times to teach life to my grandfather... but for some reason he wouldn't listen. :pout:

You seem old and irrelevant

They are. Don't mind all the fuss about selling millions of copies of a successful game, it's all propaganda, we know it.

It's troglodyte level. You dumbed down a work of art to satisfy the masses and sell more copies

Weird, it's almost like they were running some kind of business, right?

It conveys this horrible notion that the game's potential (vast potential) was wasted on you guys.

I wonder where that potential came from in the first place... they probably stole it from you.

Go ahead and ban me again, it's your success on the line.

You're damn right m8! How dare they! :mad2:

They don't know what's coming for them! :banplease:

Too many of these are too funny lol. I'm happy you responded this way because honestly without this comedy I would have been paralyzed for thought of the cringe I posted and likely fled after too much roasting. Least this way my pissy attitude can bring joy to others lol. It's almost like they're running a business lol. You are a really funny person and I would want a friend like you in my life but something tells me I don't deserve joy like this all the time LOL. I've got many blessings day to day, but that was actually a delight to read and ripped me right out of the last couple hours of self-doubt and cringe. That was restoratively funny, seriously, good on you

Edited by Promethean Winchester (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Promethean Winchester said:

Your game was similar to Project Zomboid in the sense where it was a REAL and RAW apocalypse experience, with infinite potential and all of my faith. Now? It's a god damn arcade game...

What conclusion can be drawn from all this:
Well, the 280-character limit on Twitter isn't such a bad idea, huh?
To be serious, sometimes I think that thousands of players forget what "early access" and "alpha version" means, regardless of how many years the game is at this stage. Offer something useful, and leave criticism and frustration until the game is released in gold. See you on the other side of the release.👋

10 hours ago, Promethean Winchester said:

But of course! .

So, what you're really saying...is that you're French. 🤔

No shame. There are support groups and such nowadays.

Check out some James Taylor. No worries.

-Morloc

So there's a faulty animation that doesn't belong in the game because it flies in the face of actual physics for the sake of artificial difficulty: When you hit a zombie in the head there's that animation where they cover their face with their hands, and end up sprinting toward you twice as fast for the duration of the animation. I hit his head backward so why is his body propelling forward at greater speed? Scrubs wouldn't notice, but I'm playing on permadeath nightmare insane so I'm noticing these things. Whoever's in charge of animations should fix that glaring error because it's just about the only thing I can think of that removes any semblance of balance from combat in Insane Nightmare mode. Buried treasure quest? Surround your entry hole with wooden frames and wittle away the zombies that drop in. Put hatch frames in the doorways of your base, or a POI, to take your time with the zeds while you're low level. Avoid zombies in the wilderness like the plague in the early-game. Although, that last rule only exists because of that physically erroneous animation. The zig-zag running toward you aspect of zombies is one thing, just don't miss. Zombies can turn at 90 degree angles the whole way to me and I'll just try extra hard not to miss because @%$# them that's why. But upon that, if I land a hit, it shouldn't promote the zombie landing a hit on me. The whole idea of striking first is to disorient the opponent. And zombies don't know karate. They can't parry. Least not in any zombie movies I've seen. Every animation where the zombie receives a successful head attack should create distance between you, not devour it. Game's hard enough without jank, so a little dev attention to this animation physics error would be appreciated.

Another realism problem I have is... How are zombies being stuffed into POI rooftops just so they can fall down on top of me? Like in the Shotgun Messiah Factory, where there's all the burned zombies standing still at the very top of that massive furnace, just waiting to fall down on top of you after you casually pass through. How did they get up there? Did the furnace like... Blast their bodies up there, and they just decided to sleep there until awoken? In unison? With their alleged hive-mind which is capable of guerilla warfare? Details matter, masterpieces can't be lazy efforts. 

3 hours ago, Roland said:

Continuing the joke or you just can't help yourself...? 

Honestly it started as me quitting smoking and being a jerk for its own sake yesterday, but I did decide to sort of lean into it today for comedic value, for anyone who's aware of just how ridiculous I sounded yesterday yeah lol

5 hours ago, Kosiam said:

6k, 8k, and 10k map sizes planned ...

What happened to the unlimited we were promised?

I'm always skeptical when people say "promised" I don't recall them saying that. Maybe that it 'might' be possible and I know how some people 'might' perceive that as a promise.

5 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Remind, please, to what GS does the "Stone Age" last and when do iron, steel, gasoline-powered tools start to fall out? I keep forgetting ...

Tech 0 (Stone age) - GS 1 to 11

Tech 1 (Iron age) - GS 12 to 49

Tech 2 (Steel age) - GS 50 to 91

Tech 3 (End game weapons) - GS 92 and up

Of course, you have an overlap between techs so you will still find some tech 0 even in Tech 1+ but it should be high level.

31 minutes ago, Treb said:

Tech 0 (Stone age) - GS 1 to 11

Tech 1 (Iron age) - GS 12 to 49

Tech 2 (Steel age) - GS 50 to 91

Tech 3 (End game weapons) - GS 92 and up

Of course, you have an overlap between techs so you will still find some tech 0 even in Tech 1+ but it should be high level.

Of course knowing and planning for this internal mechanism is akin to save scumming. Don't complain that the game is too easy for you while using those tricks. There are legitimate ways to get iron tools early.

Well, when will the A20 be released?

how do you like the idea of separating the traders in weapons, recipes and transport? By the rdr type. The characters on the map are scattered, which give the quest. Just copy the idea from rdr. The world would become more interesting, you would need to study it every time, drive around the map to get a quest, or to buy a recipe.

will there be random events on the map in the future, such as helping a stranger, fighting off zombies, wolves, vultures, etc.

now I just found a trader, no more need to go on the map to look for anything else.

Edited by custom_hero (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Xtrakicking said:

Pretty insane, huh? Hasn's snowed like that in there for like, what, 10 years?

2021 looking promising.

Lol. Think bigger. 50 years ago (1971 )was the last big storm with up to 20cm (0,65 feet) of snow depth covering the surrounding mountain villages/cities . 

Today, in a continuous storm of more than 24 hours we got 50 to 70 cm  (1,64 feet to 2,29 feet) snow depth  INSIDE the city (500m altitude). Everything is white, every tree with winter leafs has fallen due to the weight, every window full,, every roof filled with snow. The biggest one in Madrid was 1 meter depth back in 1904. So it hasn't snowed this much in the city since 117 years ago. 

What are we doing to this RWG ? My goodness. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

*cowboy mode activate*

is this a Marksman or assault?
@madmole

Hide contents

Gotta be marksman, i wander if its a single shot, because i dont see a side loader door on it. Unless its mag fed but that would be odd, i can dig this if its a single shot and the bolt action gets a internal mag

4 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

*cowboy mode activate*

is this a Marksman or assault?
@madmole

Hide contents

Looks like you found the pipe rifle concept. I'm curious if it loads from the left or bottom since it looks like there is a spring where the loading gate would be if it was loaded from the right. Might be a single shot too, even with the mag tube in the image.

Edited by hiemfire (see edit history)

7 hours ago, hiemfire said:

Looks like you found the pipe rifle concept. I'm curious if it loads from the left or bottom since it looks like there is a spring where the loading gate would be if it was loaded from the right. Might be a single shot too, even with the mag tube in the image.

the reason why i say it could be the AR class is due to the way you can shoot Leveraction. idk what its called 

kinda like in Red dead. 

ether way! it looks nice i would uses it as a day 1000 main weapon