Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

i wasnt complaining, its a feature not a bug..... 

I am sure the Pimps are well aware of any issues with RWG and will have tweaked it for A21. 

So put your keyboard away there are no zombies to slay here.

So, I understand you checked the "known problems" section in the bug reports forum and found out somebody else already filed a bug report for this problem... good. :thumb:

Who can explain to me how "zones" and "tags" work in prefabs in A 20? Maybe @Kinyajuu? I was surprised when I saw that some of the new prefabs, for example, have the "none" option set in the zones, but there are several tags, and the building appears in the game. I thought the tags were only needed for internal search among all modules.

20 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Who can explain to me how "zones" and "tags" work in prefabs in A 20? Maybe @Kinyajuu? I was surprised when I saw that some of the new prefabs, for example, have the "none" option set in the zones, but there are several tags, and the building appears in the game. I thought the tags were only needed for internal search among all modules.

I would (wildly) guess that a "none" just means that the POI can appear in all zones and areas.

4 hours ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

The prefab tag property is the only relevant POI property now I believe.  All of the other ones are most likely redundant and will probably get deprecated.

3 hours ago, Damolann said:

I was just about to ask if they were stilling doing a 20.4 or if everything had been pushed to a21.x

Everything is always pushed to A21. SOME of it is then copied over to A20.

In this case Faatal said there was a holdup.

11 minutes ago, Roland said:

yeah, but they turned out to just be a pair of pipe pistols which was a lot less intimidating especially when the perp discovered that dual wielding them in the TFP offices was impossible...

And he forgot to check for trap doors

• 2 weeks later...

"

• Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time. 

"

Does that mean that in future we're not going to be able to have multiple copies of the game folder to have a Vanilla and Modded version?

12 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

"

• Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time. 

"

Does that mean that in future we're not going to be able to have multiple copies of the game folder to have a Vanilla and Modded version?

Am curious also. Will I have to give up my 6 or 7 modded versions I have usually on my drive?

does magnum (.44) ammo drop in the latest experimental branch?

Just tested it on 20.4, .44 magnum ammo dropping in containers at game stashes 300+ and 800+ 

ITS FIXED FINALLY HURRAY

@Roland this was a bug that was fixed, but I don't see it in the listed alpha 20.4 exp changes, could this be added to the list of fixes? I am sure it would excite alot  of people.

21 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

I'm sure each copy of the game will be able to "point" to a different (customized) sub-folder in that path...

dont be so sure, look how long it took for screenshots and logs to get their folders. most other games including minecraft had em years ago

@Alloc @Hated

I've got a question regarding 20.4 change to the path for many items that I have not yet had a chance to try.

Is the launcher aware of changes to serverconfig.xml yet?

Previously the launcher was not aware of such changes.  Thus using the launcher to go to your saves folder was not possible if using the serverconfig.xml on the command line for the client.  The launcher would go to the default location in appdata not the path specified by the serverconfig.xml even though the game was correctly storing worlds and saves in the paths specified by serverconfig.xml

Will there be serverconfig.xml entries for the newly pathed items (logs, screenshots, etc)?

Also, will the launcher be using configuration for the path for the logs and other newly pathed items (logs, screenshots, etc)?

In short: no, it does not care about a serverconfig.xml.

- As the launcher runs the game with custom arguments it "can" not itself know about what's passed to the game.

- The launcher is for running the client, not a server. serverconfig.xml (as the name implies) is for running servers *only*. Using it to override prefs is not meant to be done by passing a config but rather the prefs themselves on the command line.

Not planning to add new prefs for logs, screenshots individually. That's what the idea of the UDF is: A place for storing files from the game (logs is a special case as the launcher has to pass the path to the executable, thus it is not aware of any custom UDF, thus always writes to the same location).

Not sure about the last question. If you mean provide a UI for selecting UDF: Maybe, but unlikely. For the regular user that's not helpful and for those that actually would use it setting the UDF pref should be sufficient, either by having one in the launcher, or even passing it to the launcher through shortcuts or batch files.

I thought the command line option -configfile=<config file name> was the only way to pass many of the preference to the client.

This is the first I have ever heard that the preferences can be passed directly.  Can you shed some more insight, are all the configuration preferences supported directly on command line? 

Doesn't steam pass the command line argument to the launcher which then reads that argument and passes it on to the client.

(i.e. doesn't Steam do this (when added to command line in Steam launch options)(based on Alpha 20.3(b3)):

<GAMEPATH>\7dLauncher.exe -configfile=myconfigfile.xml

Then the Launcher does this:

<GAMEPATH>\7DaysToDie.exe -configfile=myconfigfile.xml -force-d3d11 -logfile <GAMEPATH>\7DaysToDie_Data\<LOGNAME>.txt

)

As such, the launcher does see the command line argument and just ignores it other than passing it downstream.

However, there is nothing that would prevent the launcher from reading the config file, as well as passing the argument along to the client.  Would the launcher see the directly passed method of setting the preferences you mentioned?

Also, just because the file is named serverconfig.xml doesn't mean based on the above command line option that it is forced to only the server.  It just means the source template file provided which makes a great starting point its often used for a server.  One could easily make a config file and call it SinnglePlayerConfig.xml and use the above command line argument.  The argument doesn't say only for server usage,.

Yeah, game prefs are all supported, this had been added to A16. Mostly for server providers to force certain settings so customers would not hurt anything e.g. by setting random directories or ports, but obviously can also be used for any client.

Yes, Steam passes to launcher which passes anything non-launcher (-show-launcher, -from-steam, -skip-launcher) to the game.

But passing the arguments from within Steam does not seem like the typical case, as that would again mean you basically only have one location. Unless you'd only do it to not store anything on the default location.

As I said, it *might* consider a UDF specification, but it will definitely not read any serverconfig.xml.

Archived