Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

14 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I play too much 7 Days To Die for my own good. My life revolves around this game, I think about it all the time. It's even come to the point where sometimes I dream about it. That's an embarrassing fact I probably shouldn't have shared, but I chose to share it, so there you go. Once the Kraken awakens from its slumber, I can't wait to get sucked down this rabbit hole all over again, digging this pit even deeper around myself with no chance of escape.

God I love this game.

...from its slumber???

I would rather call it a serious case of narcolepsy!

For the rest you said, I totally share your feelings.

Really, TFP take all the time u need to set it up properly...but damn it's about time! 😀

10 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

an interesting discussion on Steam where we found out that the first and foremost obstacle for "non-modders / newbies" to install mods for 7D2D, is that they don't know they have to create a \Mods subfolder in the game folder and that the mods should be put there.

Would you maybe add this folder to the installation of 7D2D so that it's already there for players to use?

If not an oversight, I could see this being a decision to actually try to block people from installing mods if they were not technical enough to know to create the folder (as they may be vocal when mods do not work perfectly or as advertised or break games, etc) but I agree it would be nice to add the folder to vanilla install just so everyone knows the proper place (and name) for it. I’ll go 1 step further and say I think a “readme - How to add mods.txt” or something should be put there that, if nothing else, could link to basic documentation on how to do it.  There are lots of tutorials on the net on how to install mods for this game, but why rely on a bunch of randos writing unofficial documentation when you can at least point people to these forums (for example, or the main site for the game?) to basic landing page with small example or explanation and a few links to start with. I’m not saying “full documentation on modding” just a basic explanation page on how to copy them in and check they loaded (looking at the game log) and maybe a link to the unofficial? Mod launcher.

funny fact:

We just had an argument in my company about "how a modern workplace (including our IT-system) should be kept clean" and stuff,

because one guy felt the need to create a bunch of empty folders, just as placeholders, just for the case that someone might have to put files in there one day. 😆

...if he was smart he could just have claimed there are hidden system files in there, and they would totally have bought that, but no.

41 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

funny fact:

We just had an argument in my company about "how a modern workplace (including our IT-system) should be kept clean" and stuff,

because one guy felt the need to create a bunch of empty folders, just as placeholders, just for the case that someone might have to put files in there one day. 😆

...if he was smart he could just have claimed there are hidden system files in there, and they would totally have bought that, but no.

Human nature. We could buy Mars just in case. Lots of empty space in that RWG seed for when we have to store attic junk, I swear all the attics in the world shrink by the year.

5 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

funny fact:

My old boss, the president of the company I was working at, used to demand that I do things like that just because it was possible and might be useful later.  I could usually wait a week and remove/disable the crap code because he would forget he even asked for it to begin with.  I do remember a very specific project for the engineering folks that did exactly that, create a bunch of empty folders for every single part created, just so they would have places to put stuff "just in case".

@faatal do you know if there's still no word on when will the art team replace the decals placed on roads, dirt and other places ?, I know it's not your department, but I noticed that they are here since Alpha 1 and they are starting to look so out of place that I personally wouldn't mind a fresh look on those blood splatters, smashed cardboards and newspapers. 

The "lore" that some of those newspapers is cool though. 

Anyway, they are just a nice to have for a20 I guess. Thanks for listening !

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal do you know if there's still no word on when will the art team replace the decals placed on roads, dirt and other places ?, I know it's not your department, but I noticed that they are here since Alpha 1 and they are starting to look so out of place that I personally wouldn't mind a fresh look on those blood splatters, smashed cardboards and newspapers. 

The "lore" that some of those newspapers is cool though. 

Anyway, they are just a nice to have for a20 I guess. Thanks for listening !

Personally I also really like the lore aspects of those newspapers, and I think that these decals are OG and cool to keep, but maybe update the textures to a little higher quality and maybe add some more variations. I wouldn't REPLACE those that we have as it gives some epic nostalgia to older alpha's. And if they haven't updated them for alpha 20, they probably won't do that last minute now anymore I think

• Snow and Desert will have gamestage boost creating tougher enemies and better loot
  • Wasteland will have a greater gamestage boost creating even tougher enemies and even better loot

Will there be a warning message of increased challenge to the player upon entering these biomes for the first time?

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

Absolutely yes.

It will be personally delivered directly in your face by 1-3 messenger pigeons zombie vultures. Can't be missed.

Only in the desert biome.  The snow biome has cuddly delivery kittens and the wasteland dancing bears...😄

23 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Only in the desert biome.  The snow biome has cuddly delivery kittens and the wasteland dancing bears...😄

That's not exactly true even if you are joking. The forest can spawn 1 biome vulture. It's rare, but it's there. Idk about the other harder biomes though. Zombie kittens were somehow promised in the kickstarter, and I "paraquote" : "cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!!"

I wonder how many more Poi's and zombie gore effects we will launch with now in A20 because of the unexpected delays. Theoretically the longer it takes to go to stable, the better overall product will be delivered because the art/animation/building designer teams will have more time to crank stuff out.

I am also curious what will happen with ore/mineral nodes in A20 because of how city tiles will work

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

I wonder how many more Poi's and zombie gore effects we will launch with now in A20 because of the unexpected delays. Theoretically the longer it takes to go to stable, the better overall product will be delivered because the art/animation/building designer teams will have more time to crank stuff out.

I am also curious what will happen with ore/mineral nodes in A20 because of how city tiles will work

I got the impression from one of the streams that they were in content lock for a while now so just bug fixing, so I'm not sure the longer wait will result in more content being added

11 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

I got the impression from one of the streams that they were in content lock for a while now so just bug fixing, so I'm not sure the longer wait will result in more content being added

maybe content is locked for A20, but  can't they still be working on things that wouldn't need more than a minor patch to implement? 

5 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

Level design will continue to make new POIs all the way up to Stable as well.  😄

Since those won't break saves.

23 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Level design will continue to make new POIs all the way up to Stable as well.  😄

Since those won't break saves.

YES, Good work on that front. You look like a guy who can make a bunch of tier V but doesn't have the marbles to confront his fears . Kidding, kidding, I've seen great POIs by your hand lately.

You know what would be amazing? A moderately big labyrinth, either as a theme park situation,  or as a Mansion garden thingy or even one of those escape rooms that everybody is talking about lately.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

YES, Good work on that front. You look like a guy who can make a bunch of tier V but doesn't have the marbles to confront his fears . Kidding, kidding, I've seen great POIs by your hand lately.

You know what would be amazing? A moderately big labyrinth, either as a theme park situation,  or as a Mansion garden thingy or even one of those escape rooms that everybody is talking about lately.

Thanks, I think? Lol

Yeah the team has alot of large POIs planned.  Some of which were not possible without good art support and the Xtreme block cowboy, lol.

Archived